Pheasant Recipe???

• krisko
    Durand, WI

I’m just wondering what kind of ways people make thier pheasant. I’m trying to think of a hotdish or something like that? Any ideas?

jwmii
    La Crosse, Wi

Personally, I like to pluck them if I can. And then inject them with a mix of garlic, lemon juice, a little chicken broth and a bit of tabasco sauce. Grill on the Weber nice and slow but not too long so they dry out. (the injection helps with that also).

If I breast them, use a bed of poultry stuffing (mixed as directed, but not cooked) in the bottom of a cake pan, add the breasts to cover and top with chicken gravy. Bake for about 45-60 min at 350.
    Mmmmmm good!

jwmii
    La Crosse, Wi

Personally, I like to pluck them if I can. And then inject them with a mix of garlic, lemon juice, a little chicken broth and a bit of tabasco sauce. Grill on the Weber nice and slow but not too long so they dry out. (the injection helps with that also).

If I breast them, use a bed of poultry stuffing (mixed as directed, but not cooked) in the bottom of a cake pan, add the breasts to cover and top with chicken gravy. Bake for about 45-60 min at 350.
    Mmmmmm good!

Great White
    Vinton, Iowa

Cut the breast into chunks and roll in seasoned flour. Fry until golden brown in a skillet with a bit of oil and some garlic. When they are almost done–pour some honey over the chunks, leave the skillet on the heat and let the honey bake into a glaze. Eat alone or with rice.

–Whitey

Great White
    Vinton, Iowa

Cut the breast into chunks and roll in seasoned flour. Fry until golden brown in a skillet with a bit of oil and some garlic. When they are almost done–pour some honey over the chunks, leave the skillet on the heat and let the honey bake into a glaze. Eat alone or with rice.

–Whitey

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Here’s one I’m using tonight. Flour meat and brown using oil. Place in caserole dish. Mix can of cream mushroom or cream of chicken with either half a can of water or white wine. I’m using wine and it is definitely better. Mix that and poor in Cas dish up to the sides of the meat. Don’t put in so much the meat is covered. Bake 350 (preheat) about an hour. Simple and effective.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Here’s one I’m using tonight. Flour meat and brown using oil. Place in caserole dish. Mix can of cream mushroom or cream of chicken with either half a can of water or white wine. I’m using wine and it is definitely better. Mix that and poor in Cas dish up to the sides of the meat. Don’t put in so much the meat is covered. Bake 350 (preheat) about an hour. Simple and effective.

prieser
    Byron, MN

Hands down the best way I have ever made pheasant. Cut into 1-1/2 to 2″ squares, wrap in bacon, season salt, grill until the bacon is cooked. AWESOME, I swear I could eat 5 birds if it is cooked like this.

prieser
    Byron, MN

Hands down the best way I have ever made pheasant. Cut into 1-1/2 to 2″ squares, wrap in bacon, season salt, grill until the bacon is cooked. AWESOME, I swear I could eat 5 birds if it is cooked like this.

Vickie
    MN

If you want to make it into a casserole(hot dish if from MN) just use one that normally uses chicken and replace with pheasent. Also, try it in a stir fry — really fast, easy and good. Cut the pheasant breast in small pieces and cook in a little bit of oil, add frozen stir fry veggies and soy sauce, some teriaki and whatever else you like. Make some minute rice and you’ve got a great meal in about 15 minutes.

Vickie

Vickie
    MN

If you want to make it into a casserole(hot dish if from MN) just use one that normally uses chicken and replace with pheasent. Also, try it in a stir fry — really fast, easy and good. Cut the pheasant breast in small pieces and cook in a little bit of oil, add frozen stir fry veggies and soy sauce, some teriaki and whatever else you like. Make some minute rice and you’ve got a great meal in about 15 minutes.

Vickie

Vickie
    MN

Me again — another great, easy way is to use a crock pot.

Pheasant, any of the creamed soups (mushroom, chicken, celery) or mix them and add some milk or water, and peeled potatoes cut in 1/4’s, add a bag of baby carrots, some onion and seasonings. This is really nice when you are out hunting/fishing all day – start it in the morning on low and it will be done when you are ready to eat, about 8-10 hours later. Still is great after 14 or more hours.

Vickie

Vickie
    MN

Me again — another great, easy way is to use a crock pot.

Pheasant, any of the creamed soups (mushroom, chicken, celery) or mix them and add some milk or water, and peeled potatoes cut in 1/4’s, add a bag of baby carrots, some onion and seasonings. This is really nice when you are out hunting/fishing all day – start it in the morning on low and it will be done when you are ready to eat, about 8-10 hours later. Still is great after 14 or more hours.

Vickie

craigrbox
    Bloomington, MN

Great caserole that we use is to take all the meat that you can off the bird. Cook up some wild rice (uncel bens is the quickest) couple cans of Cream of chicken or mushroom soup. Mix the rice and soup in togther in a 8X11 pan, cut the pheasant into chunnks or strips and lay on top of the rice mix. spread shredded cheese of choice on top and cook at 350 til the meat is done. I would cover pan with foil and cut slits into it so that it doesn’t dry out.

craigrbox
    Bloomington, MN

Great caserole that we use is to take all the meat that you can off the bird. Cook up some wild rice (uncel bens is the quickest) couple cans of Cream of chicken or mushroom soup. Mix the rice and soup in togther in a 8X11 pan, cut the pheasant into chunnks or strips and lay on top of the rice mix. spread shredded cheese of choice on top and cook at 350 til the meat is done. I would cover pan with foil and cut slits into it so that it doesn’t dry out.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I have simply fried them the last two times and they were awsome. Young birds. Fillet breast. Flour breast and legs. Brown in 3/4 oil, 1/4 butter med to med high heat. Once browned on both sides turn heat down to low. Turn occacionally until dark brown and cooked. I put a cover on for a while to help cook.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I have simply fried them the last two times and they were awsome. Young birds. Fillet breast. Flour breast and legs. Brown in 3/4 oil, 1/4 butter med to med high heat. Once browned on both sides turn heat down to low. Turn occacionally until dark brown and cooked. I put a cover on for a while to help cook.

futPWTure77
    Zumbrota, MN

My dad uses a recipe that is absolutley freaking awesome. You cut the breasts into strips (or cubes, whatever you like) and then marinade them for 12 hours or more in a mixture of 1/3 each of brown sugar, teryaki sauce, and olive oil. After marinating, grill the strips on a grill (perferably charcoal) and cook until medium. Season them with Lavender’s Greek seasoning. DO NOT OVERCOOK! This recipe makes an excellent appetizer and even a meal. Thanks

Tony

futPWTure77
    Zumbrota, MN

My dad uses a recipe that is absolutley freaking awesome. You cut the breasts into strips (or cubes, whatever you like) and then marinade them for 12 hours or more in a mixture of 1/3 each of brown sugar, teryaki sauce, and olive oil. After marinating, grill the strips on a grill (perferably charcoal) and cook until medium. Season them with Lavender’s Greek seasoning. DO NOT OVERCOOK! This recipe makes an excellent appetizer and even a meal. Thanks

Tony

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

That sounds awasome Tony. I gotta try it.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

That sounds awasome Tony. I gotta try it.

futPWTure77
    Zumbrota, MN

I used it tonight on a freshly killed rooster, and even though I marinated it for only about 25 minutes, it still was delicious!

Tony

futPWTure77
    Zumbrota, MN

I used it tonight on a freshly killed rooster, and even though I marinated it for only about 25 minutes, it still was delicious!

Tony

Great White
    Vinton, Iowa

My wife took some bite size chuncks of pheasant and rabbit and rolled them in shore lunch and fried them for supper the other night–it was GREAT!

–Whitey

Great White
    Vinton, Iowa

My wife took some bite size chuncks of pheasant and rabbit and rolled them in shore lunch and fried them for supper the other night–it was GREAT!

–Whitey

jwfilm1
    Aitkin, MN

this one is just in time for Thanksgiving.
    can of cream of mushroom
    can of cream of celery
    box of Stove Top stuffing

brown some pheasant strips in flour/salt/pepper
    put the cooked stuffing in a cake pan about 1″ thick
    put the strips of pheasant on the stuffing and smother with the soup (mix the soup with some water)
    cook until the soup is “melted” evenly.

Holy cow it’s easy and you get the “meat and potato’s” type of meal all in one. Kind of like a hotdish that you were asking for. Let us know how it turns out.

jwfilm1
    Aitkin, MN

this one is just in time for Thanksgiving.
    can of cream of mushroom
    can of cream of celery
    box of Stove Top stuffing

brown some pheasant strips in flour/salt/pepper
    put the cooked stuffing in a cake pan about 1″ thick
    put the strips of pheasant on the stuffing and smother with the soup (mix the soup with some water)
    cook until the soup is “melted” evenly.

Holy cow it’s easy and you get the “meat and potato’s” type of meal all in one. Kind of like a hotdish that you were asking for. Let us know how it turns out.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.