5/24 Iron County Musky Outing

• pyake

Here is a nice 18″ Chicagoan smallie that decided to eat my walleye undertaker. Don’t be decieved by the size of the musky net she is laying in The lower unit of my 90HP Suzuki is at the right hand side of the photo for size reference. No action for muskies as the lake temp was still a cool 54 deg with very little weed development. The smallies on the other hand could not leave that undertaker alone. Numerous smallies gave chase to the bait presumably protecting thir upcoming bedding areas. It was really fun to see through Chicagoan’s crystal clear waters. The shallow bay on the North inlet to Chicagoin has lots of suckers roaming around. I was hoping to see a few muskies in pusruit but to no avail.

Emily on the other hand was a different story. 64 deg and multiple follows. Emily is always a good action lake but it is usually tough to get them to bite. Best success is to keep an eye out for a fish to break the surface, then cast over the ripple. Those are the fish that generally want to eat. Unfortunately for me, that never happened. Most of the followers were smaller fish but one was a 45″ monster laying in the shallows that gave chase to the same walleye undertaker. The weeds are really starting to take off and the lake is starting to give way to the summer. Something is up with the water level. It is about 1′ lower than normal. I heard a few stories from the locals ranging from blowing up a beaver dam to some new propery owner doing something to dry up his wetland.

tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

Great Picture Pete! Thanks for the report!
    I’ll bet she was no match for the Mooskie rod. I’ve only got two more Walleye Guide trips left…lets get out soon Buddy…I want to throw some WOOD!!!!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.