Underwater footage of big Halibut, any guesses on size

• fishermanjakeak

I put my go pro down on the chum bag last week in Homer Alaska, here is what I filmed down there!

IceNEyes1986
    Harris, MN

That’s pretty cool! Size? Big! Real Big! grin

patk
    Nisswa, MN

really cool. My idea was to see if there was a way to get a read on how much longer than the chum bag.

ex. If the chum bag is known at 12 inches and the fish looks to be 4-5x longer. Then the fish is 48-60 inches. Assuming there is a chart somewhere that converts inches to pounds for Halibut.

Anyway, that was the bright idea but I couldn’t really nail down how many chum bags long the fish was.

fishermanjakeak

the chum bag is at least 20″x 10″ in diameter. Unfortunately we didn’t hook the fish, but when we lost the chum bag, my dad insisted that we try to find it and put down on it.

munchy
    NULL

I’ve got to ask how you got the GoPro to aim directly at the chum bag? My luck it would have been pointing in the exact opposite direction… doah

And my guess is in the 100-150 range. Definitely not a 400lb tank like you see pictures of occasionally, but a fun one to catch nonetheless.

fishermanjakeak

I fabricated a tripod to set up on the bottom…I took my go pro off and put back down with the chum bag, snagged up and lost the whole rig. Good guess on that fish..I was thinking it was in the mid hundred range.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.