UCare vs BC/BS Advantage Plan

• 3rdtryguy
    Central Mn

A friend of mine told me about a new Medicare advantage. Plan from UCare. I’ve always been a Blue Cross Blue Shield subscriber. My plan this year was $94 and is going to $106 next year, I think. Usually when plans become cheaper there’s always a catch. Blue Cross came out with theirs this year that’s almost half the price of the plan I’m on now, it’s around 56 or $58. Problem is the out-of-pocket goes up $700 and the co-pays also go up a small amount for doctor visits. When my friend told me about the UCare program I naturally thought you get what you pay for, there’s no free lunch. But I called my insurance agent, and he checked it out. He could hardly believe it himself. His family has multiple agencies and are actively selling this program a bunch now. It’s called UCare Choice and it costs about 56 or $58 per month. Maybe you should take a look. Just a word of caution, UCare has two programs in that 56 or $58 range, the one you’re looking for is UCare Choice. PS, this might be it for me on this site. It’s a mess. Took me 15 minutes to make this post and the site locked up three times on it. Mods you better get your act together or people are going to be dropping like flies around here.

LabDaddy1

PS, this might be it for me on this site. It’s a mess. Took me 15 minutes to make this post and the site locked up three times on it. Mods you better get your act together or people are going to be dropping like flies around here.

I have nothing to add as far as healthcare is concerned, but definitely agree with that last part! Like I said in another thread, I’m sure site upkeep isn’t at the top of anyone’s list now that the brand is discontinued… Not that the “IT department” ever really fixed much ever, anyways.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

I’m switching from ucare to blue cross next year. Ucare is the absolute worst service I’ve ever received. I put in a claim last may and they still haven’t reached a decision.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

BCBS is what I’ve used for 15 years. I’m not familiar with UCare but BCBS is very widely accepted just about everywhere you want to go. I don’t remember the last provider that wasn’t “in network.”

The premiums seem to always continue to go up but its still very good health insurance. I also have the dental supplement under them called Blue Dental.

David Anderson
    Dayton, MN

I was told by my agent that if you can, stay away from Advantage plans as they are almost impossible to switch if your health issues change. I have a standard BCBS supplement insurance, guaranteed renewal every year, regardless of any changes.

Fife
    Ramsey, MN

I’m an insurance agent that specializes in Medicare plans. There are more plan options today than there have ever been. To the original poster, I agree that the choice plan looks like a good option for many people in 2024.

3rdtryguy
    Central Mn

Fife, thank you. The out of pocket actually goes down to $3100 where the BC goes up to $3800 therefore negating the reduced monthly fee. The co pays go up a little but wouldn’t justify the $50/month x 2 of us saving for my wife and I. The network is the same as BC around me. Have you heard bad things about UCare and their service? I will say BC has been foolproof.

muskie-tim
    Rush City MN

When talking to the agent that you will get your medicare advantage plan through be sure to ask about the differences between Original Medicare with a supplement plan and a Medicate advantage plan.

Agents get paid if they sell a medicare advantage plan but do not get paid with original medicare and supplement plans. There can also be some coverage changes if you later decide to switch to original medicare after being on a medicare advantage plan. Everyone needs to make their own decision on witch to choose. For AARP members there are some great resources on their website.

3rdtryguy
    Central Mn

I understand the difference but the cost difference is huge plus the need to purchase a separate Rx plan. Different people have different situations and needs. Advantage is the right choice for me.

Ron
    Victoria, mn

Ucare might not be a good choice if you go out of MN for extended periods. We go to the Texas gulf coast for Jan-March & BCBS works fine for us.

Fife
    Ramsey, MN

When talking to the agent that you will get your medicare advantage plan through be sure to ask about the differences between Original Medicare with a supplement plan and a Medicate advantage plan.

Agents get paid if they sell a medicare advantage plan but do not get paid with original medicare and supplement plans. There can also be some coverage changes if you later decide to switch to original medicare after being on a medicare advantage plan. Everyone needs to make their own decision on witch to choose. For AARP members there are some great resources on their website.

Agents do get paid a commission on most Supplement, Advantage, and prescription drug plans. Original Medicare is administered by the federal government, so you are correct that an agent would not get a commission on that plan.

Fife
    Ramsey, MN

Ucare might not be a good choice if you go out of MN for extended periods. We go to the Texas gulf coast for Jan-March & BCBS works fine for us.

That is an important consideration and usually one of my first fact-finding question in an appointment. UCare does have a good extended travel benefit now plus on some of their plans several benefits are the same in or out of network.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.