Twin Cities Ice Fishing End?

• Joe K

So I’m new to ice fishing and primarily fish the twin cities metro area. I’m wondering when the season typically goes until for fishing on foot with a sled and no shelter? I’ve found information about ice out being around early April but assume that means fishing typically ends earlier. Not using this as a hard/fast rule just looking for ideas on what to expect.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

It also depends on what your primary target is. Walleye/pike season generally ends earlier because it has a closed season whereas panfish season is continuous. The DNR keeps a ice-out tracker on their website too every spring so you can go to that when it has started and use that as a guide.

Joe K

Gotcha. Mostly panfish in this area.

slipperybob
    Lil'Can, MN

When you can’t hop onto the ice from shore, it’s over. I usually, no longer go sometime in first.

mnrabbit
    South Central Minnesota

If walking out, with a few safety precautions (ice picks, ropes, life jacket, floatation device, planks, fishing buddy, my mind went blank on what it’s called but the thing you jab in the ice in front of you) you can pretty much go right up until the ice has pulled away from shore and then some. Every situation and lake is different, but for the most part your north shorelines will go first. The main lake ice may still be a walkable for days or weeks longer depending on lake depth, sun angles, wind, rain, etc. While most people give it up when the ice is no longer drivable, some will go much longer. People may use wooden planks to cross a few feet from shore to the ice, or even waders or small boats. There’s not much that beats panfish ice fishing in 50 degrees in March or April. The fish are usually active, the fishing pressure is light, and the weather is great after a long winter.

I believe 2017 we were pretty much done by mid-late February. In 2018 we were still going mid-late April.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

So I’m new to ice fishing and primarily fish the twin cities metro area.

Please be careful. Don’t go alone and carry rescue “picks” and know how to use them. Also know what to do in case you have to rescue your partner.

The #1 myth about ice is the Hollywood BS where you hear a bunch of cracking and groaning before the ice gives way. BULL! What really happens is that the ice acts like a trapdoor and you are underwater in .00004 seconds with no idea what happened. It’s THAT fast and there is no warning.

I’ve managed to fall through a number of times while out trapping as a kid and never in over my head. It always happened the same way, the ice is good until BANG and you’re wet 10 seconds before your brain figures out what just happened.

Grouse

tegg
    Hudson, Wi/Aitkin Co

Another thing to consider for late ice conditions is a warm sunny day can soften and weaken shore ice. The ice may have supported you early in the day walking out when the temps were cooler but can get quite dicey in the span of a few hours on the return. I punched thru getting off a lake before following the same route I used getting on the lake. And… the ice hadn’t melted from shore yet. For that reason I no longer trust the fact I was able to get on the lake will guarantee I wont go for a swim. I want to still see the presence of snow drifting on shoreline.

Joe K

All good info about late ice and judging it. I never trust any ice really but good to keep in mind about not trusting ice you’ve already checked too.

I really try to be safe. I always have a set of picks around my neck (two spare sets for wife/guests) and watched several videos (of course staged but useful) of how to use them and subsequently move away while staying prone. I use an ice chisel every time I go out (free workout), even with trucks on the lake. I’ve got a throw rope clipped to my bag to aid others or have them aid me. I have striker float bibs (jacket next season) that I wear every outing.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.