Bearded hen turkey?

• rivereyes
    Osceola, Wisconsin

Ive never run across one of these before.. but I was checking out a photo I took recently and I think the subject is actually a hen… and here I thought it was a gobler… but the goblers Ive “shot” have a snood and a head that shows red and blue.. this bird looks like a hen to me.. I dont see the snood, the head is silver.. I dont see spurs and the feathers seem more brown, the beard is thinner than usual….. what do you think?

rivereyes
    Osceola, Wisconsin

for example.. heres a couple of for SURE goblers…

rivereyes
    Osceola, Wisconsin

for example.. heres a couple of for SURE goblers…

rivereyes
    Osceola, Wisconsin

and another for sure gobler….

rivereyes
    Osceola, Wisconsin

and another for sure gobler….

Jeremiah Shaver
    La Crosse, WI

I think it’s a gay turkey

seriously…it does look like a hen to me.

Jeremiah Shaver
    La Crosse, WI

I think it’s a gay turkey

seriously…it does look like a hen to me.

lenny_jamison
    Bay City , WI

It’s a bearded hen for sure. A buddy of mine had a shot at one last spring but he missed it. He said he had a hole in his pattern. I’m pretty sure he just can’t shoot straight.

Gator Hunter

lenny_jamison
    Bay City , WI

It’s a bearded hen for sure. A buddy of mine had a shot at one last spring but he missed it. He said he had a hole in his pattern. I’m pretty sure he just can’t shoot straight.

Gator Hunter

sgt._rock
    Rochester, MN

The first turkey I shot was a bearded hen about 10 yrs ago near Houston. Looked pretty much the same.

sgt._rock
    Rochester, MN

The first turkey I shot was a bearded hen about 10 yrs ago near Houston. Looked pretty much the same.

yellowdog
    Alma Wi

I did the turkey registration for zone 6 in wi for quite a few years. Bearded hens are not that uncommon and are legal game.I would say we registered 10 to 20 a year. We have even had hens with multiple beards.

yellowdog
    Alma Wi

I did the turkey registration for zone 6 in wi for quite a few years. Bearded hens are not that uncommon and are legal game.I would say we registered 10 to 20 a year. We have even had hens with multiple beards.

dooby04

Hey nice shots, turkeys are awesome birds
    I used to work part time for the Iowa DNR, and trapped and transported wild turkeys for 3 winters. Bearded hens are more common than one might think. In fact ten percent of all hens will have a beard.

dooby04

Hey nice shots, turkeys are awesome birds
    I used to work part time for the Iowa DNR, and trapped and transported wild turkeys for 3 winters. Bearded hens are more common than one might think. In fact ten percent of all hens will have a beard.

rivereyes
    Osceola, Wisconsin

Interesting….. I had no idea they were so common… this is the first one I actually “saw”… I suppose the other bearded birds I have seen I just assumed were goblers… this bird for instance I was SURE was a gobler… but through the wonder of a 500mm lens I was able to see that something was not as it should be.. a LOT of somethings….
    Im hoping to get some better shots yet.. its hard to get really sharp clear shots of these birds.. they are pretty spooky… I have to roll up on them, with window down ready to put out the lens… with engine running.. and the engine shake contributes to a certain amount of blur…. most often the birds start to run… then fly…

rivereyes
    Osceola, Wisconsin

Interesting….. I had no idea they were so common… this is the first one I actually “saw”… I suppose the other bearded birds I have seen I just assumed were goblers… this bird for instance I was SURE was a gobler… but through the wonder of a 500mm lens I was able to see that something was not as it should be.. a LOT of somethings….
    Im hoping to get some better shots yet.. its hard to get really sharp clear shots of these birds.. they are pretty spooky… I have to roll up on them, with window down ready to put out the lens… with engine running.. and the engine shake contributes to a certain amount of blur…. most often the birds start to run… then fly…

birdhunter88
    Cedar Falls, Iowa

Nice Pic’s RiverEyes…. that is for sure a hen…. I have never actually seen a bearded hen myself in the wild but have heard that they are not uncommon which is one of the reasons why they are legal to shoot. Thanks for the great pic’s.

bird

birdhunter88
    Cedar Falls, Iowa

Nice Pic’s RiverEyes…. that is for sure a hen…. I have never actually seen a bearded hen myself in the wild but have heard that they are not uncommon which is one of the reasons why they are legal to shoot. Thanks for the great pic’s.

bird

baumerman
    BUFFALO COUNTY

A few winters ago I put out corn in my backyard… I had about 30 turkeys coming down hens and jakes mostly. One hen in particular cought my eye. She had prolly a 10″ beard it dragged on the ground, plus maybe a 3″er… How old do u figure this bird was and do they usually get this long of beards…This was in city limits so the birds were in a refuge. Is this good genetics or will all birds get like this?

baumerman
    BUFFALO COUNTY

A few winters ago I put out corn in my backyard… I had about 30 turkeys coming down hens and jakes mostly. One hen in particular cought my eye. She had prolly a 10″ beard it dragged on the ground, plus maybe a 3″er… How old do u figure this bird was and do they usually get this long of beards…This was in city limits so the birds were in a refuge. Is this good genetics or will all birds get like this?

b_sander
    Red Wing , MN

Great pics!!!

I have never seen a bearded hen but she dont have spurs so I beleive it.

b_sander
    Red Wing , MN

Great pics!!!

I have never seen a bearded hen but she dont have spurs so I beleive it.

sgt._rock
    Rochester, MN

Ken: You don’t have to drive around with the window down. Come sit in my kitchen or the dormer. They are fun to watch but they leave you these little green/gray sausage shaped gifts. My bird feeder has taken a beating.

sgt._rock
    Rochester, MN

Ken: You don’t have to drive around with the window down. Come sit in my kitchen or the dormer. They are fun to watch but they leave you these little green/gray sausage shaped gifts. My bird feeder has taken a beating.

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

Hey Rock !!

Looks like they have been walking right on the edge of your roof !!

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

Hey Rock !!

Looks like they have been walking right on the edge of your roof !!

sgt._rock
    Rochester, MN

Yepper. I was working in the dormer while watching them and one hen just had to fly up and see what I was doing. Up close and personal!!

sgt._rock
    Rochester, MN

Yepper. I was working in the dormer while watching them and one hen just had to fly up and see what I was doing. Up close and personal!!

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.