BBD … finally!!!

• illiniwalli
    WC Illinois

got my first tag filled – finally – thursday, the fourth day of the first illinois north zone season.

2 of the first three days were extremely windy, which makes for the worst turkey hunting conditions in my opinion.

had 2 nice toms come in silent behind me on opening day and i was busted both times when i got up to move to another spot.

worked another longbeard on day 2 from about 250 yards away, down a hill, across a ravine with a small creek and up the hill he came to within 5 yards!!! but he was behind a big blowdown and i couldnt get a shot.

day 3, more high winds. went trolling at some smaller farms. lots of gobbling on the roost but across the road on the neighbors property. hunted until quittin time at 1 without hearing another gobble.

day 4 went back to original spot. lots of gobbling on roost but they wouldnt work after hitting the ground. hens everywhere. spotted a tom with 3 hens out in a field after they left, had him comin toward me but he lost interest at about 100 yards away.

frustrating start to the season to say the least.

so i bailed out and headed for another small farm down the road about a mile. was walkin down the hill toward the woods when i heard a gobble. i knew he was in an open field, so i hustled down the hill, across a creek and toward the field as much as i dared. i knew i had a fence between me and him but didnt want to risk moving across an opening.

hit my first yelp on a mouth call and he gobbled. 2 more calls and i could see him strutting about halfway down the ridge from the field. a couple dozen more yelps and gobbles and i could tell he wasnt gonna budge and he was about 75 yards away.

so i went silent to see what he would do. after about 10 minutes and a dozen more gobbles he moved to the west out of sight, which was just the break i was looking for. i hustled across the opening to within about 25 yards of the fence, knowing that if i called him back to the same spot i would have a shot. called again and here he came gobbling across the ridge. when he got about 40 yards away i hit him with a load of 3″ no. 5s.

weighed 24 pounds with a shade under 10 inch beard with 1 1/4 and 1 3/8 sharp, hooked spurs.

now i gotta wait a week for my next season to start.

bob_bergeson
    cannon falls

congrats on a great bird

chev70
    SW Wisconsin

Congrats

mbenson
    Minocqua, Wisconsin

Congrats on filling tag one, now take that bow out!!! YOu got ’em to 5 yards, now set up in a blind and you’ll get ’em.

My next challenge is to take his head off, then maybe I’ll try to do it outside of the blind!!!

Mark

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Awesome!! Congrats on the first of 2012. I can’t wait to hear about the rest.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.