Mouth Call Longevity

• illiniwalli
    WC Illinois

i was just wondering how long other guys use their mouth calls – as in one season, 2 seasons, longer?

i rinse my calls regularly and keep them in the fridge but usually end up pitching my diaphragms at the end of the fall season because i can tell they are getting “stretched” and just dont sound as good.

but … lately i have been “investing” in better – and higher-priced – diaphragms because i think they definitely are worth it in sound quality.

however, since i am paying 10 bucks for a call instead of 5, i would like them to last a couple seasons instead of pitching them after a year’s use.

what do you other diehard tom chasers do in regards to how long you use an individual diaphragm?

john_steinhauer
    p4

I throw mine at the end of every season I don’t think they sound the same at all but that’s just me.

gobbler
    Central, MN

I agree with John.
    I’m lucky to get one spring out of them. Although I buy the cheaper ones. They just don’t sound the same after chewing on them all day for a couple of weeks at a time.

alanmdk

I’ve had them last for 2 seasons and I’ve had them last for a week. As for using expensive calls the ones that I’ve had that lasted one trip are the ones that cost the most. Little Bossman and I are both using customs now and they seem to last a lot longer and are way more consistent sounding than some of the big name brands. Plus they are half the price of them, and if I have a question I can call the guy who stretched them.

CW

lick

I can get 2 seasons out of mine since I too went custom. But normally get new ones each year.

Joel Nelson
    Southeast MN

Quote:

I can get 2 seasons out of mine since I too went custom. But normally get new ones each year.

x2

I tend to chew up a call in two seasons more than I stretch the latex or prophylactic. The two methods of storage I’ve had the most success with are:

-in a ziploc in the freezer
    -in mouthwash in the fridge.

The mouthwash is a new one for me, only been doing that two seasons, but seems to work really well. Way better than just putting them away in dry storage and forgetting about them until next season.

Joel

john_steinhauer
    p4

What kinds of calls are you guys using that get two seasons out of them? I use allot of HS Strut mouth calls.

lick

Quote:

What kinds of calls are you guys using that get two seasons out of them? I use allot of HS Strut mouth calls.

I have mine custom made by a friend. I will never go store bought again. Let me know if you want to get a
    hold of him.

alanmdk

Quote:

Quote:

I have mine custom made by a friend. I will never go store bought again. Let me know if you want to get a
    hold of him.

The guy who makes Pat’s is a 10x state champion, and Little Bossman and I are using Hook’s. Both of them make great calls one at a time by hand.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.