Dad’d 2nd season bird

• witte
    West Salem, WI

Didn’t have any luck in the snow the first 2 days of WI 2nd season. Hard to sneak up on them with the snow and it fell wet and froze wed night leaving in crunchy thursday morning. Friday morning had 5 hens out in front of us for an hr. A couple Toms were gobbling on the ridge for most of that time. They started coming toward us but the hens started towards the Toms at the same time. Where would they meet? The hens walked past us (1 bearded) and met the Toms in the woods to our right. I lost sight of the hens but after 10 minutes i see movement in the woods and 2 red heads. They met close enough to us that the Toms could see Mr. B Mobile. They both come out to the decoy. I was video taping and could see the second was bigger. They got to the decoys and decided they weren’t interested and started walking away. I said SHOOT – no not yet, you’ll get them both. NOW SHOOT…BANG. Dropped him at 35 yards. When they walked up and away they were going back and forth so we lost track of the bigger sized bird with the bigger beard. Problem with video is you see what really happened. He got the smaller of the 2. 20 lbs, 10.5 inch beard, 1 1/8 inch spurs. The video shows the other is bigger in size and has 2 beards longer than 10.5 inches. If I ever figure out how to transfer video on here from my camera I’ll post. Doesn’t matter he got the smaller of the 2 – we were very excited! Maybe I’ll catch up to the double beard 4th season.

Dave

DANPEARSON
    Central WI

Congrats to both of you! It’s a rush when they finally commit to come in the the decoys!

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

It’s awesome you get to hunt with your Dad!!

dennisdalan
    St Cloud, MN

Congrats to you and your dad!

lick

Good job witte Congrats to you and your dad Good luck with double beard

mpearson
    Chippewa Falls, WI

It is a blast to be able to relive the hunt when you video tape it. Will be even better that is was with you dad. Congrats to both of you on a hunt you’ll remember forever.

Joel Nelson
    Southeast MN

Congrats to the both of you, very cool to have it go down like that. Makes the moment even more exciting and nerve-wracking when you have to wait for the other bird to clear! Good work on getting a bird in that weather.

Joel

bob_bergeson
    cannon falls

Congrats on a great hunt

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.