Tuffy Hauler Phase 1 complete.

• iceman35
    upstate New York

Got the truck back yesterday. Phase 1 done. 4:10 rear end gears installed in my 2000 F150 Harley edition. gears and shims were from:
    Johnny lightning performance.
    Also replaced rear cover, axle seals and ABS gear. common stuff for a truck with 100K.
    truck is now a real nice ride. 3:55 ratio was way too low even for Daily driving. the ratios on 97-03 F150’s were too low from the start.
    Now its an oil change when the weather gets better. Suspension, no space to work and time will make this a challenge. beer should help. Got royal purple on sale, fram tough guard filter. using 5w-30 instead of the 20… should be better in the summer.
    Phase 2 is new hitch, wiring and hopefully a new rear bumper. that will be after the boat gets home and all the stuff I gotta do to that!

igotone

looks like U take care and pride in your truck too

here some good info on oil filters

I have gone to Hastings, American made

Oil filters

eyekatcher
    Lakeville, MN

With older vehicles, you needed to change the speedometer gear in the transmission when changing rear gearing. Is that still true or is speed calculated some other way?

iceman35
    upstate New York

I got the fram tough guard for this time, may do some research for future purchases.
    Speedomter good question. Electronic. the computer only is good for 3:55 or 3:73. it is set for 3;73. speedo and mileage will be off. will get a judge on it when I compare it to GPS.
    as far as the mileage goes, don’t care. it’s paid for, will run this till its dead.
    I’m far from a wrench. but gonna try some stuff. like I said, it’s paid for. after I dropped it off last week, walked through the ford, chevy and dodge dealers. checked stickers. OUCH!!
    I will say this… IT IS VERY NICE NOT TO HAVE A TRUCK PAYMENT!!!
    Phase 2 is the hitch and wires. Phase 3 down the road is a minor engine rebuild. Phase 4— and am checking the possibility of an electric fan.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Is it 4WD or don’t you feel you need that it your area?

Quote:

I will say this… IT IS VERY NICE NOT TO HAVE A TRUCK PAYMENT!!!

You can say that again! We just got ours paid off about a month ago

iceman35
    upstate New York

no, It’s 2wd. we get alot of snow, like today!! I take the truck off the road in the winter and suspend the insurance. drive a little car for the winter. truck gets used pretty much for towing and a little burnt rubber fun !
    I had 4wd for about 11 years. when it was gone, I came to the conclusion was a huge waste of money. That would be just my case though. add up intial cost for 4wd, interest and gas mileage and I blew an extra $$,$$$
    now, try finding a 2wd truck these days.

brucea
    Maplewood,MN

[

I agree on not needing 4 wheel drive and the extra money to support it! Lived in Mn all my life and never really needed 4 wheel Drive. I know its nice, but for the extra expense and gas mileage, not needed. Save your money for early retirement.

quote]no, It’s 2wd. we get alot of snow, like today!! I take the truck off the road in the winter and suspend the insurance. drive a little car for the winter. truck gets used pretty much for towing and a little burnt rubber fun !
    I had 4wd for about 11 years. when it was gone, I came to the conclusion was a huge waste of money. That would be just my case though. add up intial cost for 4wd, interest and gas mileage and I blew an extra $$,$$$
    now, try finding a 2wd truck these days.

iceman35
    upstate New York

last post here and I’ll put this to bed… took a long ride yesterday with the truck. rides fantastic! you can feel the difference, seat of the pants…
    me happy. now gotta get that boat home.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.