Ny Tuffy First trip and modifications

• iceman35
    upstate New York

first trip out yesterday. started out sunny calm, water 40… didn’t catch anything… clouds wind and rain, end of day. boat ran great!
    Trolling motor Modifications. got out in the boat friday with the 50 degree heat wave! wiring mods. eliminated the Marinco plug and recepticle. They are garbage. had 4 of them fail over the years including 3 on the tuffy. actually cost me in a BFL tourney. Ended up cashing but spotted the rest about 3 hours of fishing. spent almost 200$ on replacements, all junk. Wired the TM up straight and added a short jumper to make 24V. Removed the inline Circuit breakers. junk. crappy coroded connections. (removed 2 more in the back of the boat too. hidden, never would have found them if I hadn’t installed the power pole…) before you Flame me, had a boat since 86, never had a circuit breaker go. I want
    STRAIGHT EASY wiring. If the trolling motor stops, I’ll know whats wrong.
    got rid of wing nuts and added regular nuts for tightness. kept one wing nut for the short jumper. for easy removal…
    took the Minn kota on board charger out… don’t trust any on board charger. these sealed watertight mystery boxes are a plague in my book. turn on and off when they please… I DO NOT TRUST THEM TO FULLY CHARGE MY BATTERIES. they have one benefit, ease of use, plug and forget… these things are unserviceable, bounce in your boat with every wave and bounce as you trailer down the road. when I get home, I’ll unhook the short jumper, plug in 2 schumacher chargers with meters. then I’ll know for sure.
    I’m still gonna use that on board minn kota, but only on extended trips, for just weekend one day deals, it will stay in the garage. so after all was done. I eliminated alot of wire, and a bunch of weight from the boat(charger) trolling motor was running good, wires didn’t even get warm. those manual chargers throw a great charge in a deep cycle battery! actually fished 3 days last fall without charging.
    I do have minn kota plugs ordered, along with some disconnect plugs. got a discount through the federation… not even sure if I’ll use them.
    had 6 boats over the years, this is the way I want it.
    boat is ready to go, now its on to the rods and reels…
    and lures…

phishirman
    Madison, WI

I agree with you on the onboard chargers. I’m using my latest one as an offboard charger by putting alligator clamps on it so it doesn’t get the crap beat out of it on the water. Its not nearly as convenient, but I rotate a regular charger into the mix so I know for sure that my batteries are charged.

joemama
    North St Paul

i agree on the marico plugs i’ve spent well over $ 100 on replacement plugs but i’m not as willing to “striaght line” the wiring i’d be interested in how it works as the season goes on

iceman35
    upstate New York

did a little test, after fishing hooked up both of my “auto” minn kota chargers, main battery, trolling motor batteries. both said “charging complete after a very short time. unhooked them, hooked up my little schumachers, ran up to 75% quick then ran for another few hours till they said 100%. the auto ones shut down too quick. All done with them.
    minn kota plugs working good so far.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.