TUCR Suggestions

• zachary Wietzema

Hey guys! Im looking to buy some new upgraded ice fishing gear. Ive heard a lot on here about the Tuned up custom rods. If you guys would recomend one rod for walleye fishing, Especially jiggings spoons or rippin raps. What rod with what length would you guys recomend

jld
    Holmen

Love my 28″ split grip Precision. Only regret is I didn’t get a 32″. Pretty versatile rod as I use it with #3 Rippin Raps and smaller spoons for crappies and perch but plenty of rod to handle the bigger Raps and spoons for walleyes. I have even used it with bigger jigs for bluegills.

Dan Baker

Our Precistion rod is our most versatile walleye rod. It can fish comfortably down to 1/16 ounce and up to most rippn raps. It has a light enough tip to detect very subtle bites and enough backbone to haul in large pike. My recommendation is a 32” Precision with split grip cork handle.

With that said, our Commander is our premier power fishing rod. If you plan to use mostly large spoons or big minnow profile baits, or if you are planning on mostly targeting very big fish, the Commander will serve you best. Again, I recommend 32” split cork.

Dan

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

Our Precistion rod is our most versatile <strong class=”ido-tag-strong”>walleye rod. It can fish comfortably down to 1/16 ounce and up to most rippn raps. It has a light enough tip to detect very subtle bites and enough backbone to haul in large pike. My recommendation is a 32” Precision with split grip cork handle.

With that said, our Commander is our premier power fishing rod. If you plan to use mostly large spoons or big minnow profile baits, or if you are planning on mostly targeting very big fish, the Commander will serve you best. Again, I recommend 32” split cork.

Dan

I have both Precision and Commander split grips, but I always pick up the Precision first. It is the most versatile.

zachary Wietzema

Thanks for the help everyone. will for sure be picking up a precision!

dairycat

I have a 30+32″ precision. Nice walleye rod. I always pic the 30″ in the cottage and 32″ outside. 32″ is a little long in the shack… I also have the QT, PP, and BW. All great rods, but the Precision is for Eyes

Carter Paulson

Thanks for the help everyone. will for sure be picking up a precision!

Zachary I would highly suggest picking up the Precision Power. Sound like we fish the same style. Love fishing aggressively with the jigging raps/chubby darters along with 1/8 oz vmc flash champ spoons or vmc rattle spoons. Love my Precision Power. Only way I would go with another rod company or rod is if someone gave it to me. I fish perch with it too. Yes probably little stiff for most perch fishing but i fish perch the same way as walleyes. Smaller jigging raps/chubby darters and the 1/8 oz spoon.

Skol
    Lake City

Dan
    My Fusion just arrived by ups today. I first seen the fusion at the ice-show and thought it would be perfect for my walleye dead stick rod.
    What were the thoughts or vision for the fusion when this rod was created? It felt like it would have enough sensativity in the tip for seeing a light bite but enough backbone to bury a hook at 30 feet.

Dan Baker

Dan
    My Fusion just arrived by ups today. I first seen the fusion at the ice-show and thought it would be perfect for my walleye dead stick rod.
    What were the thoughts or vision for the fusion when this rod was created? It felt like it would have enough sensitivity in the tip for seeing a light bite but enough backbone to bury a hook at 30 feet.

Awesome! I love my Fusion. I was able to prototype it last winter and fished it in a ton of situations. When designing it, the goal was to create a bridge between the Bullwhip and the Precision. A rod that can be used equally for panfish and walleye.
    It has a similar tip to the Precision, with the exception of being a little slower action. This allows it to load up a bit more on the hook set so it doesn’t blow the mouth off the panfish like crappie. But it has a very strong backbone to allow plenty of power for fighting the fish and driving the hook set home. I personally use my Fusion, when pan fishing, for my aggressive crappie baits (Lindy Rattln Flyer spoons, Quiver Spoons, Perch Talker, and #3 Rippn Raps). When walleye fishing, I use it for my subtle baits (non-rattling baits, slender spoons, etc.)
    I have caught 4″ bluegill and 20″ walleye on mine and it hasn’t missed a beat. It is really a great design. I will never replace my Bullwhip or my Precision, but it is a great compliment to them both, making it very versatile.
    Dan

PS, If you are using it for a Deadstick rod with a bobber, it will work very well. If you plan to use it as a visual deadstick, you will want to watch it closely. If a big fish does smack it, it will feel the rod and may drop the bait before you can set the hook.

Christian Slick

Jt Custom Rods Gold digger or 34″ blackout all day long

Christian Slick

(without hijacking the thread) Precision or Power Precision are great picks too depending on what size baits you use. Always minimum of 32″ imho

monstermatt
    Minnesota

32” precision with a cork split grip.

Francis K
    Champlin, MN

I have what I think was one of the original TUCR Precisions; the end of the cork handle does not have the branded logo and it’s 34″ long. I was very happy with the rod and bought another but 32″ is standard. If buying again I’ll order one at 34″ as it’s more comfortable to fish when outside.

IceAsylum
    Wisconsin Dells WI

Zach I would recommend the power precision for spoons and #3 Rippin Raps but if your getting into larger walleyes on a regular basis I would recommend 34” Comander.

Attachments:
    1. FA8B6F99-DCE4-43FE-B1AC-33EA709A32C8.jpeg

Chris Messerschmidt
    Minnesota

I have 2 Commanders one is a 32″ and the other a 38″. I bought the 38″ for lake Winnipeg but honestly don’t use it much as its been to cold to hole hop when I go out. I have had to hunker down in the shack so I have been using my 32″ Commander A LOT and really like it. Killer for jiggin raps and big spoons and rippin raps. I do like that 38″ for outside use though.

I also have a 32″ Fusion which is awesome for the #3 rippin raps and spoons. It’s actually been a badass bobber rod for crappie to be honest as well. My 5 year old was smoking crappies on the bobber with her fusion in the same length, so I switched over and it was perfect. So that rod has been a 2 technique rod for me. Great for lakes with smaller walleye.

Deadsticking though or using the IfishPro the deadstick model is where its at. I have a 32″ which to me is a bit short for the ifishpro but it does work. I have to go pick up my 36″ DS this week still. Can’t wait to try that.

I have not tried the Precision yet. So I can’t comment, but out of all my TUCR’s for all the walleye fishing I do with the same baits you look to use. I wouldn’t trade my 32″ Commander for Anything!

Skol
    Lake City

Thanks Dan!!!!
    I’ll be on the ice in the morning and hope to put the fusion wood to some walleye lips.

Aaron

I picked up a Fusion and it has been awesome for eyes so far. I like a little bit lighter rod and that I can use it for panfish is even better. For sure a go to when fishing.

Dan Baker

Thanks Dan!!!!
    I’ll be on the ice in the morning and hope to put the fusion wood to some walleye lips.

Any time! Post up your thoughts when you get off the water.

tucrs
    NW Metro

I have what I think was one of the original TUCR Precisions; the end of the cork handle does not have the branded logo and it’s 34″ long. I was very happy with the rod and bought another but 32″ is standard. If buying again I’ll order one at 34″ as it’s more comfortable to fish when outside.

You have one of the originals!!! That is pretty cool!

koldfront kraig
    Coon Rapids mn

Whats the advantage of a split grip handle?

Dan Baker

The split grip has two advantages, but they are not big enough to override personal preference. So if you really like a straight grip stick with it. As for the advantages: the split removes a section of cork which makes the rod lighter, and lighter means more sensitivity. The split also allows the angler to have direct contact with the rod blank, so it can transfer the feel easier. I hold my rod with the “pistol” grip, so I find the split more comfortable. If you hold the rod with the “traditional” grip many people find the straight grip more comfortable.

White Ranger

I love split grips on my open water rods. I just don’t get it on an ice rod. I played around with it in the shop last night and I still don’t understand why you’d want that. For starters, having an opening with a flat grip on either side of it is not comfortable to me. I mocked up several handles and finally came to the conclusion that both need to be sharply tapered for it to feel good for me.

Finally, I am not convinced that the portion of your hand between the thumb and finger is all that sensitive. I played around quite a bit last night – tapping the rod tip on various hard surfaces to see if I could feel it where the blank touched the “webbing” between my thumb and finger. I’m speaking for me now, but a finger tip on the blank gave me much more feedback.

My preferred handle looks like this:

Attachments:
    1. My-Handle.jpg

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

I don’t understand a split grip in the winter either, if that is all you want to use, just get a 3″ or 4″ grip, what do you use the butt of a split grip for in the winter?

Craig Sery
    Bloomington, MN

You don’t, if you pistol grip it just feels more natural in your hand. I don’t think sesitivity comes in to play on a higher end rod

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.