Truck mounted tent

• poomunk
    Galesville, Wisconsin

Trying to think of some ideas to get more time fishing and rolling around the idea of getting a truck bed mounted tent, gets us up off the ground and would be a pretty mobile system to pack up and spend a weekend camping/fishing. Anyone have a tent like this and any comments concerns?

I don’t overly baby my truck, but a little concerned about it scratching the crap out of the side of the truck? I keep my vehicles about 10 years give or take so I’d rather not go out of my way to scratch it up, going to happen enough as it is over time. I like the idea of being up in the bed though versus on the ground in a traditional tent. Looking at the specific model I took this picture of though it looks like I would have to remove my tonneau cover and frame to use it (would be nice if had one that I could just collapse into the bed and then roll out the tonneau and drive off to the landing in the morning)

Attachments:
    1. 20221014_095850-scaled.jpg

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

Have you considered buying a topper?
    – dry it out
    – take it off
    – set it up

Most people who consider your idea of collapsing it in the morning and going fishing all day forget about morning dew. Everything left in it will be wet.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

I had one these. I never had any trouble with scratching and wouldn’t think it would be a concern for anyone else. It is indeed great for getting off the ground but keep in mind if you’re old, you have to get in and out of the back of your truck a lot. It was definitely more comfortable sleeping though.

If you want to drive any faster than 10 MPH you’ll need to remove all of your gear from inside and remove or tear down the tent. It isn’t a problem for one night but if yo go somewhere where you plan to drive to other places it can be a pretty big inconvenience.

Overall they are great for the cost but you just need to identify if it’ll end up being an overall inconvenience.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Why not just buy a topper?

Agreed, google/YouTube Truck Camping, Andy Fiolka (former IDO guy) has a bunch of videos on it. He even has AC and heat, and spent a weekend in Death Valley I think.

tswoboda

What is the desire of these truck tents? Maybe I just don’t understand the advantage of ‘getting off the ground’ but still being in a tent. I’ve spent hundreds of nights in a tent and also plenty of nights sleeping in trucks, cars, and vans. The truck tent to me just seems like it has all the worst parts of both. It’s not mobile/adaptable, it’s a small area, it’s not hardside/hardtop, and you have to set it up and take it down. My opinion is either get a topper, a truck bed camper if you want more space, or nice tent. Maybe I’m missing something, IDK.

jbg1219
    NW Iowa

With one of those tents it is literally just a place to sleep and I have found that with a good cot and sleeping pad combo in a bigger tent it is much more comfortable, takes less time to set up, and frees the truck up for travel as well. I have a 10×14 Kodiak flex bow and 2 large cots with mats on top fit in there with tons of room to spare for getting dressed, playing cards if the weather is bad, etc. 3 large cots will fit as well without as much room to spare, but still able to get dressed, etc. I keep another small tent to store gear in at the campsite and a large hub style screen house that I set up a camp kitchen. I can have it all set up in a half hour with help from one other person about 45 mins if I am alone. The tent that mounts to the truck bed takes that to set up alone.

blank

Edited: Ditto to tswoboda. I don’t understand the truck tent whatsoever.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>mark-bruzek wrote:</div>
    Why not just buy a topper?

Agreed, google/YouTube Truck Camping, Andy Fiolka (former IDO guy) has a bunch of videos on it. He even has AC and heat, and spent a weekend in Death Valley I think.

just watched it. that setup is sweet!!

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

Add me to the topper list if I was a truck camper.

They’re water tight, you can crack the windows, and move as needed without tearing anything down. You can keep yourself pretty warm in a topper as well in cold weather with the right sleeping bag and blankets. One of my college buddies slept in one on most of his early ice adventures with temps well into the teens at night. He’d get that thing pretty warm with a small propane heater, turn it off and set it outside…and then sleep for hours.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

When I had my duramax I slept under my topper in that 8 ft bed so many times. Then I bought a cheap palomino pickup camper. That thing was the best money ever spent. I personally would never go with the truck tent. Just use a regular tent or in cold months a hub house and cots.
    I see cheaper pickup campers then I do these tent systems.

poomunk
    Galesville, Wisconsin

You guys are talking about a topper like this correct?

I had a topper on my last truck (just the color matched Jason topper, not a camping type) and I liked it, but I have enjoyed not having it on this new truck for the last 2 years too (less wind push, better visibility out the rear windshield). But a camper type like that would only be on when using it so not a big deal. Hadn’t thought about that option guess I assumed they would cost more than worth for the amount it would really get used. May have to do some looking though.

Attachments:
    1. s-l400.jpg

Don Meier
    Butternut Wisconsin

They make sleeves that go over the tie down straps. I bought a Napier tent and alcove . Set it up in the yard and that’s as far as i made it ! LOL It will work fine . Look at some you tube reviews it will give you a better idea of what you getting into . Also bought a full fold up mattress for bed. Now it looks like it won,t happen till next year to try it out . I have had a pickup camper, full toppers and ground tents. The Napier was cheap compared to a camper or topper . Getting up off the ground was important to me , plus ability to stand up if needed . I’m sure they are not for everyone . But for warm weather camping and the price can’t beat it.

queenswake
    NULL

As others have said, I think the truck bed tents and the very popular rooftop tents that everyone is using now are a terrible idea. All of your crap you bring with you has to be removed from the bed and either put in the cab or on the ground. And anytime you want to run into town or go anywhere, time to take down the tent and set back up again when you get back. It just doesn’t make sense for any scenario I can think of.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

That pickup camper you have a pic of is what I had. Mine was light duty I usually used it in my duramax but when I sold that my old f150 hauled it around for a few years. I fished and hunted out of that thing for a long time. New ones are spendy but a older good condition one can be found for a couple grand. Then u have heat and a fridge and mine had 2 beds and a cook top

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.