Interesting read

• huskerdu

I see the same thing with hunting in ND, I grew up in ND and own property in the state. The local hunters think they have the rights to all the resources the state offers.
    The businesses enjoy the economic benifets that out of state hunters/fisherpeople bring. The debate will allways be around.
    I have a cabin near the border ND/MN and there as many ND plates on cars that there are MN plates. I could really care less if they are fishing in MN waters. I believe that the money they bring into the state keeps the world turning. IMO

markdahlquist
    Eagan, MN

Ozz you made my day posting this story. I may have never found it myself. I was at this meeting! Some who were not there do not believe me when I told them I heard the following:

All I see is MN plates lined up and down the Rush River.

I have seen people taking fish during the pre-season.

The quality (large) fish are dissapearing!

Get rid of the pre-season entirely!

My proposal to increase bag limit to 5 and make first Sat in March be the official opener dis NOT pass. It passed in three other counties and tied in Grant.

Another floor proposal that DID PASS was the idea to create a pre-season trout stamp to tax the MN fishermen. This money would go towards paying wardens to ensure the resource is not harmed.

Arby Linder and other locals need to understand back In the day there were not many fish, however those in there were large.

I explained: You cannot have it both ways. Low number big fish being replaced by TONS of average sized wild trout. The Rush has 6000 trout/mile in many area. Some areas have 500 trout/mile 12″ or larger. Some areas have 700 brook trout/mile in the MAIN STEM (not just tribs). Fish like never seen before.

ozzyky
    On water

Ya it’s a sticky situation. I’m from Ellsworth and I get the hairy eye from alot of those older locals for fishing the early season. I say don’t knock it till you’ve tried it. No weeds, deer flies, mosquitoes. Other than opening day my trout fishing will be basically over except for once or twice in late September. I switch the boat. I think them not being able to use live bait is part of the problem. It does take some skill to go out there a place an artificial bait in the proper area to catch the nicer fish. Wish I would have known the meeting was right in my backyard.

markdahlquist
    Eagan, MN

Quote:

Other than opening day my trout fishing will be basically over except for once or twice in late September. I switch the boat. I think them not being able to use live bait is part of the problem.

Ozz you live in Ellsworth and you switch to boat after the opener? BTW, I do fish the WI pre-season, or as the locals call it, the “play with your food season.” Our proposal was to allow 5 bag and eliminate the pre-season. Make the pre-season opener the harvest opener – first Sat in March. Level the playing ground to allow all anglers! Granted with metro having 2.5M you have to expect most fishermen will be out of state.

BTW I contacted Marty Engel and asked about warden reports. He talked to one patrolling Rush and said more locals were spin fishing this year. It could be due to the repeal of the barbless rule. It could be the nice weather. My guess is a little of both. Funny to prove a point I fished pre-season with Berkley trout worms April 1 and had a 75 trout day. Guess what? The were deadly and they also gut hook just like a real worm too. I had a couple of floaters but that is how it goes.

Comments on April 12 WCC meeting:

heard the following:

“Just get rid of the whole thing,” Ralph Schommer of Maiden Rock said.

“I’ve been fishing the Rush River for many, many years and I can tell that while there may be more fish overall in the river there quality isn’t as good and they’re getting smaller,” Conservation Congress member Arby Linder of Ellsworth said.

“I’m getting tired of seeing fly-fishermen with Minnesota license plates pound that river for additional months,” Vern Ellefson of Ellsworth said.

“I have seen people take fish during the pre-season and believe the larger fish are being targeted.”

Locals like Arby Linder point out that back in the day there were not as many fish however there were quality (larger) fish. Many folks caught 25″ fish back in the day. I spoke up and said “Yeah, but you cannot have it both days. Now our water is colder and cleaner and more baseflow. Natural reproduction is exceptional. We have 6000 trout/mile on the Rush. Some areas have 500/mile 12” or larger. Some areas of the MAIN STEM of the Rush have 700 brook trout/mile, something the river has likely NEVER seen before.

So my proposal on the blue ballot was to offer a five bag limit for trout as well as level the playing ground. If local bait anglers are not allowed to fish the pre-season let’s just make the official opener first Saturday in March (eliminating the pre-season) so ALL TYPES OF TROUT ANGLERS can fish. Not just MN plates lined up and down. My proposal FAILED.

Interesting the other floor proposal on the blue ballot was from a local who wanted to create a pre-season trout stamp to tax the MN fly fishermen. Locals said they have seen people take fish during the pre-season. Arby Linder believes some bigger trout are being targeted and taken during the pre-season too. For those that fish the pre-season they are supposed to buy yet ANOTHER trout stamp. That money would go towards paying a warden’s salary to make sure the resource is not harmed further?

MN does not have this BS about excluding bait anglers. We can fish worms Jan 1. Our barbless rule will be repealed next year or the following.

ozzyky
    On water

Wish I could have been there to support your proposal. I know all those guys personally. Some of there ideas/theories I can’t say I agree with however.

markdahlquist
    Eagan, MN

Results for my proposal was 4 to 19. So minus my vote only three people supported it. A huge loss. I want to go to one of the Rush River Eau Galle Sportsman’s clubs one month and try and better explain myself.

With 2.5M in the metro shoudnt locals expect MN plates? Do WI residents own the river any more than MN residents? No. Taxing us further with a pre-season trout stamp is a total joke. Granted this passed proposal is not set in stone. It goes to the WCC trout committee for discussion. However if the TC likes the idea it will be voted on next April on the white ballot. Then if it passes it goes to the NRB for final approval and could eventually be set in stone.

ozzyky
    On water

I could easily round up some buddies next year to get that number to change.

markdahlquist
    Eagan, MN

Thanks for your support! It passed in three counties. Only needed to pass one to be forwarded to the WCC Trout Committee. We will see what they do with it.

If the TC squashes it I’m sure we will pitch more floor proposals at next year’s meeting.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.