Trout Rods

• tgruenke
    IGH, MN/Holcombe, WI

Going up the Chequamegon Bay in two weeks. We have a half day guided trip for trout. Debating whether or not to bring my own gear. The guide provides electronics and gear. I have walleye gear, nothing fancy. My guess is that would be destroyed by trout, especially larger ones. DO you think I’m just best using the rods provided by the service? I am kind of excited because my wife is coming along. She has never been ice fishing. She is a little apprehensive about ice. I think she will have a good time once we are out there though.

Thanks
    Tony

reverend
    Rhinelander, WI

Tough one to guess. I know I’ve landed large pike and once a 40″ musky on my light ice fishing gear-a reel with the drag set well will tackle a lot of big fish.

My $.02 would be this: I’d definitely bring my own gear and see what the guide says, and also what his gear is. Then, play it by ear and decide what you’re more comfortable with. Also, never hurts to ask the guide in advance what he thinks once you’ve described your tackle.

reverend
    Rhinelander, WI

I know mbenson recently did a trip there, maybe he’ll chime in here as well, or maybe send him a message?

Zach Hilton

Unless you are going deep for lakers, a med action walleye rod will be just fine. I fish all walleye gear until I go deeper that 70-100 ft. Also, the same baits used for jigging walleye will work for trout. You just have to go a little heavier at times with the current on lake superior.

tgruenke
    IGH, MN/Holcombe, WI

I think i have 8lb suffix ice with 8lb leader. That is heavy enough?

Zach Hilton

All I use is 8lb. for all my shallow rods. You just have to take your time, play the fish out and watch your line on the bottom of the ice. Trout do a lot of thrashing at the bottom of the hole. The ice is the only thing that has caused and break offs for me. I have straightened hooks, but haven’t broke my line.

Will Roseberg
    Hanover, MN

No harm in bringing your own gear, but I’d lean towards using the guide’s gear. The biggest drawback with using walleye gear for bigger trout is having enough backbone when you set the hooks. Same goes for the line you’re using, I prefer braid with a 14# fluorocarbon leader because it will take all of the stretch out of your line. Bigger trout have a very tough jaw and if you’re lucky enough to set the hooks into one you’ll want a stiffer rod. For depths less than 30′ you can get away with walleye gear and I do love fishing my Tuned Up Custom Power precision as it has enough backbone to drive the hooks home in shallow but any deeper than that and I always use a Lake Trout Precision.

Will

philtickelson
    Inactive
    Mahtomedi, MN

Not sure what TUCR charges for a LT precision, but Thorne Bros makes a pike/lake trout rod in fiberglass which you can pickup for ~$55. I got one for Christmas and it works great. I think they call it their ‘professional plus’. They make a graphite(~$110) and fiberglass($55) version.

I’m not sure if it pays to have a sensitive rod when fishing for trout or not, but the glass rod is durable and lighter on the wallet.

munchy
    NULL

No need for sensitive rods with lake trout. Most of the time they smash the lure.

eyesonly

I think I only Paid $36.00 or $38.00 for Jason Mitchells Makinaw 38 inch Med/Heavy
    Laker rod. Its an awsome Rod for Lakers.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.