Trout fishing/waders

• Spencer Koch

Me and a few buddies are going to Whitewater State Park this weekend in hopes to get into a few trout. We have never fished the park, so I was wondering if anyone would give us a few pointers on where to start? Anything helps, whether it be bait, lures, locations, we will take it all!

Also, I need to get a new pair of waders this year. I have never really fished in waders except for here and there, but I think I would if I had a decent pair. Wondering if anyone has recommendations for this as well!

Tight lines!

Deuces

Me and a few buddies are going to Whitewater State Park this weekend in hopes to get into a few trout. We have never fished the park, so I was wondering if anyone would give us a few pointers on where to start? Anything helps, whether it be bait, lures, locations, we will take it all!

Also, I need to get a new pair of waders this year. I have never really fished in waders except for here and there, but I think I would if I had a decent pair. Wondering if anyone has recommendations for this as well!

Tight lines!

Can’t help ya with wader brand got some gander ones before they switched up. But I will say after spending much time in them I really like having a front pocket that is secure with a Velcro strap higher up to hold your cell and truck keys. Then a secondary pocket underneath, easy access no Velcro or Velcro to hold your plastics, light gloves, or mostly for me kettle roasted sunflower seeds.

djshannon
    Crosslake

I generally don’t fish in waders, but used them when installing and removing docks. I typically do 4 or 5 docks a year and have purchased a couple pairs in the past ten years. You get what you pay for. If you buy waders with attached boots make sure the boots are soft and flexible, otherwise they will chafe your ankles and legs. Rubbing the skin off and creating sours.

The last pair I bought are called stocking foot wader and have separate wading boots. I bought them this winter and haven’t use them yet. They promise to be a great more comfortable addition.

My two cents…Fish On….

Drizzy Musky
    Duluth

I use RedHead 600gram neoprene waders. Keep ya nice and warm.

Wear a breathable base layer, to prevent chafe in the calves from the boots.

mojo

I wear waders in the spring for Steelhead fishing and for doing several jobs. I wear them in the fall a couple days per week for waterfowl hunting – yes, I still hunt the old fashioned way of getting in a duckboat and going out on the water – I have tried many many pairs of waders. Here is what I have found.
    Rubber waders are pretty crappy, they are heavy and bulky and restrict movement – can be downright dangerous in fast moving water. If you only throw on a pair a couple times per year to put in and pull out your dock, maybe cost is most important to you, they are fairly inexpensive.
    Neoprene waders are lighter than rubber, and they fit tighter to the body/legs so they give better mobility. The one downside to neoprene is that if you are working in them or are active, you will get wet inside from your own perspiration, after any activity, you may think the waders have begun to leak. And for fishing, the stocking foot waders are fine, especially with felt bottom footwear on slippery rocks they are superior to bootfoot waders, but duck hunting or working in soft bottom water, even the best fitting footwear will want to come off in the mud – it’s difficult to find a stockingfoot wader that properly fits both your foot, and the actual shoe/boot that you choose. Too tight is uncomfortable and can hinder circulation, too loose, and they can be clumsy and you risk loosing your shoe/boot and probably then ruining your waders.
    What I have found to be the very best are breathable Gore-Tex waders, they are extremely lightweight and give very good mobility, and if you do work up a sweat, you won’t be soaked on the inside – at least from the knees up. I haven’t found a pair that are breathable from the knee down – that area is better to have durability over breathability if you want them to last.
    The lightweight canvas waders may be improving now too. My BIL had a pair on this past weekend from amazon for $35 and he was very happy with them, although he said the boots were not especially comfortable, but he was 100% dry.

SuperDave1959
    Harrisville, UT

Personally, not a fan of waders with built in boots. I like sock waders with a good pair of wading boots.

SuperDave1959
    Harrisville, UT

The last pair I bought are called stocking foot wader and have separate wading boots. I bought them this winter and haven’t use them yet. They promise to be a great more comfortable addition.

Think that you will love the stocking foot wader, so much more comfortable.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.