Trolling Motor On/Off Switch

• lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

My old boat didn’t have this switch. Why is it there and why would I use it?

Can I still charge using the on-board charger with it in the “on” position?

Attachments:
    1. 0B5B1EFC-0889-4D81-9E7F-53BC38134290-scaled.jpeg

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

That also acts as your breaker fuse. If for some reason your motor does not turn, check that switch to make sure it is not tripped. Good idea to turn it off while charging if you don’t have a plug at the motor.

-J.

Hard Water Fan
    Shieldsville

To prevent a parasitic drain on the battery, maybe?

lindyrig79

That also acts as your breaker fuse. If for some reason your motor does not turn, check that switch to make sure it is not tripped. Good idea to turn it off while charging if you don’t have a plug at the motor.

-J.

You mean a trolling motor plug up in the bow? Yes mine has a plug.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

My Ranger has that. One is dedicated as “main” on/off power switch and another looks exactly like that labeled “trolling motor.” Hard Water Fan is correct, to avoid a slow parasitic drain on the batteries when not in use.

I turn both of them to the OFF position when my boat is not in use for extended periods of time.

lindyrig79

Gim- you mean this one? This one is by the starting battery.

Attachments:
    1. 4CE42BA2-8DE3-453F-A0DD-9DEAF501C432-scaled.jpeg

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Gim- you mean this one? This one is by the starting battery.

Yes. Exactly

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I believe the reason there are separate switches is because my trolling motor runs off a separate 24 volt system and everything else (pumps, lights, graphs, outboard starter, etc) runs off a dedicated 12 volt system that is connected to a cranking battery.

lindyrig79

Ok thanks. Good to know.

Actually looking at it again they have a Deep Cycle battery being used for the Starting Battery. Shouldn’t the Starting battery generally be more of a Cranking battery?

Or is that debatable?

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Actually looking at it again they have a Deep Cycle battery being used for the Starting Battery. Shouldn’t the Starting battery generally be more of a Cranking battery?

Are you sure its not a dual purpose battery? A cranking or dual purpose should be used for starting the outboard (and supplying power to other items). Deep cycles are for trolling motors.

In a pinch if your cranking battery dies, I have used jumper cables to start the outboard. But generally speaking you do not want to be using a deep cycle battery for anything but a trolling motor.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

You mean a trolling motor plug up in the bow? Yes mine has a plug.

Yeah, the idea is to un plug your t-motor at the bow or flip that switch to off during charging.

-J.

lindyrig79

Ok, thanks guys. I’ll have to pull that starting battery out and look closer.

Leftysrconfused

The first picture is a 40 or 50 amp circuit breaker. I don’t believe it’s main intended purpose was to be used as an on-off power disconnect switch.

T R

I just bought a Newport 62 lbs trolling motor. It has a 60a circuit breaker.

I’m guessing a 12v power switch needs to be rated to handle 60amps.

I’m struggling to find a waterproof 12v, 60a power switch.

Any links provided are MUCH appreciated.

Thank you.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.