Trolling Motor Dilemma

• Terry Reed

I have a Lund 1875 Impact XS on order and my dealer cannot get the MK Ultrex trolling motor (122-lbs thrust) that I ordered. I called MK and they do not have an ETA as to when the shortage on Ultrex motors will be over. So, the thought is to possibly switch to a 112 Terrova or Ulterra. Spot Lock is really the only requirement. Any ideas as to which model may work best with this boat?

CaptainMusky

122 isnt really necessary for that boat. If you can get a 112 get that. I have an 80# Motorguide on my 19 foot Alumacraft and dont have any issues with it.

RM

You will probably be happier with a Terrova or Ulterra versus the Ultrex. The largest Ultrex is a 60inch shaft length, which may pop out of the water from time to time in rougher water. The 72inch Terrova or Ulterra will give you the extra shaft length should you need it.

CaptainMusky also makes a good point. The 80lb/24V system is probably sufficient for your boat, and it requires one less battery than the 112lb/36V system.

Tom Albrecht
    Eau Claire

There’s an 112lb Ultrex on FB marketplace for $2,500. Says it’s last year’s model. Elko New Market, MN

JasonP
    Twin Cities

The only differences between the models you’re considering are deployment mechanism and cost.

Netguy
    Minnetonka

On my 2020 1875 ProGuide, I put a 72-inch Ulterra on it. On the Ulterra about 5 inches of the shaft is taken up by a motor. I would have been very disappointed in the 60-inch. I’m also glad I went with the 36-volt. All the Lund salesmen and even a former fishing pro who works for Lund said I wouldn’t need it but I’m glad I did!!

CaptainMusky

I’m also glad I went with the 36-volt. All the Lund salesmen and even a former fishing pro who works for Lund said I wouldn’t need it but I’m glad I did!!

Yeah I think the 36 volt is a good idea, but you wouldnt need the biggest pound thrust like he was wanting. 112 would be fine.

Netguy
    Minnetonka

My Ulterra is 112.

brian_peterson
    Eagan, MN

My Ulterra just arrived at my dealer. Bought the boat last August.

Charles

Yeah good luck,

Your best bet is going to get a cheap one and wait on the new one. I am still trying to find one.

jon amundson

Check with This guy. Great guy did awesome job at locating me a 87″ terrova last August. Everyone including minn kota said 3-5 months he had it to me in 3 weeks. Was in contact several times to keep me updated on his search. Highly recommend giving him a call.
    https://thunderboltelectronics.com/

Attachments:
    1. Screenshot_20220310-142515.png

Umy
    South Metro

I have a 1775 Impact and I have the 60″ Terrova w 80lbs set up w spotlock.
    GREAT performance. 2.5-3 foot waves ion Rainy can be a challenge sometimes but that is asking a lot of ANY system.

Spot on Captain:
    CaptainMusky also makes a good point. The 80lb/24V system is probably sufficient for your boat, and it requires one less battery than the 112lb/36V system.

Congratulations

Terry Reed

Thanks all for the advice! Sorry, but the 122-lb thrust was a typo – I meant to say 112. I did order a 112-lb thrust Terrova which is the 36-volt and I got the 60” shaft. All things considered, it will take up less space than an Ultrex, it’s lighter than the Ultrex and the Ultrex may have been a bit overkill for the boat. I did see some comments where 80-lb thrust should be enough for an 1875 Impact XS. I agree with that, however, I went with the 112 for the bass tournaments that I will fish, maybe 5 a year, where I am on the trolling motor all day. That is why I went with the extra battery and larger TM. I owned a G3 185FS a number of years ago and I had an 80-lbs thrust trolling motor w/ 24-volt and lost juice after 6 hours on the trolling motor – this happened in more than one tournament. I remember my Co-Angler flipping out with 2 hours to go and no TM. Now, I just need to get used to the foot pedal on the Terrova and I’m committed to doing that. Lastly, this is a great forum – can’t thank you guys enough for your help and advice!

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

For those that say a 36V system is a better way to go over 24V why do you say that?

Terry Reed

I believe it depends on how you’re using the boat and where. I do fish some bass tournaments and I am on the trolling motor almost the whole time during the tournament. The extra battery in the 36-volt TM will give me more run time and that’s why I went that way. I also get a little more power but that’s not the game changer for me. I did give this a lot of thought as the 112 lbs TM is more expensive as a product plus having the cost of the extra battery. But I ran dry several times when tournament fishing with 24-volt – this never happened with 36-volt.

Denny O
    Central IOWA

I have a 36v Ulterra on a 20ft Lund Tyee. I ran the Optima 27M and they ran me all day using the follow the contour on Oahe walleye fishing. There wasn’t much left after 8 hours.

Now I have Interstate AGM’s 31’s and it will do the same with easily a full day and a half.

My comment is, it is just as much the battery as it is the voltage.

Umy
    South Metro

hmmmm, interesting – I get 8-10hours out of my 24v 80 lb thrust on my 1775 on good water. Anything w 1 ft or more waves the longevity goes down.
    For me no biggee but hate to be in a tourney and have that happen. Better safe than sorry if money not an issue

CaptainMusky

For those that say a 36V system is a better way to go over 24V why do you say that?

If your boat is equipped for 36 volt do that vs a 24 volt because you will get FAR longer run time with 36 volt vs 24 volt. A buddy has a similar boat to mine, but he has 36 volt, mine is only wired for 24. At the end of the day he has way more battery left than I do. I dont have room for a 3rd battery in the battery area so Id have to isolate a third battery and that doesnt interest me.

Norseman

Just for info sake…I was leary at first with only having 24V on my Proguide1875 but that was quickly put to rest. I tried my hardest to drain those batteries over the course of a normal fishing day but couldn’t do it. Cruised around against the current full out and all sorts of electricity wasting games. I was really impressed with my Interstate batteries… I’ve used them on previous boats with good results too. I couldn’t get an ulterra last year so settled for a Terrova with MDI. Anyone ever have issues with the auto-deploy on the Ulterra. I would eventually still like to get one.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Another primary difference that has not been mentioned yet here is that the Ultrex has a cable drive foot pedal. The Ulterra and Terrova do not. They are flatter style electric steer foot pedals. If you intend to use it for bass fishing in tournaments you will want the Ultrex steering foot pedal.

KPE
    River Falls, WI

Foot pedals? Who needs em’. Saved myself $200 on my Terrova by ditching the factory foot pedal, and another $200 by ditching US2 sonar. MK does sell a terrova 80 lbs model that comes without both features and it is a hell of a good price.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.