canal fishing

• Brian Robinson
    central Neb

With all the water out west, the canal is still raging with current. My cousins from Utah were out, so I took them out fishing along with my stepdad, and we managed to catch quite a few crappies, gills, and a small flatty, but the real catch of the day was this nice sauger that Tanner brought in, and was nearly another Master Angler at 20 3/4″. The pic isn’t all that great, so you can’t see how fat this fish really was. The best part was that we caught him using something new, so we have another weapon in the arsenal. I love arsenals.

He struggled a little bit with the release, but seemed to swim off nicely once we got him under control.

I only wish the next day would have been as good. I fished 4 reservoirs the next day, and struggled on every one of them. We did catch quite a few white bass, but that was really about it. I had some good friends out that had never seen some of the areas, so it was a good day all in all.

This heat has been crazy this week, so it might be a good weekend for me to stay in the a/c and watch a little tv. But then again, I do have some new areas I need to check out…..

Ben Garver
    Hickman, Nebraska

Another dandy sauger for B’s boat!! You are on a roll. I can’t wait to get you and your luck in my boat sometime soon.

sharkbait
    The mud puddle in western Ks

didnt realize you still had snow on shore up there Brian..

Brian Robinson
    central Neb

It’s the weirdest thing, isn’t it??

I went out and got another nice one Friday, half inch short of MA at 20 1/2″. Sure was hot out there….wish that snow would stick around a little longer.

Brian Robinson
    central Neb

Wasn’t going to post the pic, but just look at the color on this sauger. Still trying to get one to pop up his dorsal fin for me. They seem to like the snow a lot better than my camera.

mroberts
    Nebraska

Nice to see you get another on B. I supose he went back huh. Got to keep em in there so you get more. You better not keep any of them you meat hunter.

Brian Robinson
    central Neb

Ya, meathunter….yup, that’s me. I remember someone complaining about me letting the other one go….who was that….

All kidding aside, ya, I let all these beasts go, and I strongly encourage those who catch them to do the same. I really do feel that even though they are stocked in the canal system near where I’m fishing, they are a rare fish that needs to be released. But at the same time, I always respect that when you catch a fish, it’s your fish to keep or let loose, as long as all the rules are being followed.

And ya, I’m talkin to YOU, Matt…

Ben Garver
    Hickman, Nebraska

Thanks for the tip Daryl. That was one of your only blog posts I’ve missed. I’ll be sure to try it out on some walleyes this week.

Brian Robinson
    central Neb

Great tip Daryl, thanks! I can’t wait to try that next time I get a nice fish. I just hope I remember how to do it in my excitement!

mroberts
    Nebraska

Yes B I know you were talking to me. I just had to flip you some crap. I would have to agree with you on turning them back. Up north on the river it is diffrent we cath them all of the time. I don’t think it is the same on the canal.

Brian Robinson
    central Neb

Quote:

Up north on the river it is diffrent we cath them all of the time. I don’t think it is the same on the canal.

That is exactly right, and the point I’m making. No doubt about it.

You should be a comedian, Matt…

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.