Cattin’ on the Tri county Canal

• slaktrak

My teen-aged son and I have had little time to go fishing together, so we thought a little kitty kat action would do the trick. Fishing the tri county canal system we landed enough cats for decent fish fry.

Then the next evening … it was my dad’s turn to take me out looking for Mr. Big. My son had a hot date so he passed on fishing. We didn’t do too shabby. Dad’s went 29.5″ just 1/2″ short of a MA. I got broke off on one that would have been bigger than dad’s …. lol

The very next morning dad and I head out again and I ended up with one that was just a tad smaller than dad’s from the previous evening.

jeff_jensen
    cassville ,wis

Good job on the nice cat
    I can’t believe how black that channel is in your fourth pic, those fish still on the spawn?

Cool pics

Brian Robinson
    central Neb

We caught on at McConaughy a few weeks ago that was just as black. I was told by our state biologist that they are their spawning colors. Crazy how black they can get.

Husker26
    Gretna, NE

Amazing! I can’t even comprehend how someone would think to keep a cat that small! I’m all for eating the fish, but for crying out loud, there are only three keepers on your stringer, some of those don’t even have but maybe a 1/8 oz of meat on them! WOW

zachary fries
    Central Nebraska

No need to get personal here Husker

Looks like you had a great time with the family. Your kids kids will look back on simple pictures like these and really enjoy them!! Thanks for the report and GOOD LUCK in the future

slaktrak

In response to the smaller fish kept. They’re legal and there’s good reason that they are legal because there is an abundance of them in canal system. We released over 20 fish similar to those kept. We kept a few of the smaller ones at my MOM’s request. She likes the smaller ones for the frying pan cooked whole with the head on. I guarantee you that she’ll get a lot more meat that the 1/8 oz you stated. So if you’d like to take it up with my MOM, you’d be better prepared. She’s Filipina (from the Philippines but a long time US Citizen)4’7″ 100lbs and she will flat out clean your clock. Trust me I know!!

One more thing, my son, daughter and I release alot fish of alot of species. That includes alot on nice cats, walleyes, and other higly prized eating fish. We release all Largemouths, Smallies and the multitude of salt water species we’ve caught over the years. So….my point is …you don’t know me and if we want to catch a few LEGAL fish to eat that’s our choice. Do what you want with yours and I won’t criticize anyone for their choice.

Sierra Tango Out !!

Husker26
    Gretna, NE

I do need to apologize, it is none of my business what some people deem edible. I guess at least they are getting good use and it does sound like you guys had a blast, maybe it’s just envy that made me respond the way I did. Between all the softball and baseball games I’ve been to with my kids this summer I’ve only been able to get a line wet twice this whole year. Yep, definetely envy Congrats on a great outing!

chadmayer
    Gretna, NE

Quote:

I’ve only been able to get a line wet twice this whole year.

We need to fix this problem you’re having. Let’s go fishing!

slaktrak

Apology accepted and appreciated. That is a very honorable gesture on your part husker26. It is my hope for you that you get out and get them lines wet and I promise you all will be better. Peace !!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.