10-15-06 Crappie Report

• walleye4
    On the Water

Made it out today for possibly my last outing of the year with the boat. Got on the lake about 8:45am and was on fish right away. I don’t know for sure how many I caught but can tell you it was a BUNCH! I ended the day with my limit of crappie with all but 3 being over 10″. The 3 were bleeding pretty good so I kept them instead of letting them die. Most of them ranged from 8-14″. I caught a few dinks but not as many as I thought I would catch. Caught them with a variety of methods. Caught some dipping shallow brush, vertical jigging, casting jigs, and a jig under a bobber all worked well. I had my limit by noon and then went after walleye and caught 4 shorts on 1/4 once jigs working a drop-off. Fish are really putting the feed bag on for winter as most that I cleaned were FULL of shad.

Hope to maybe make it back out but with the cold temps coming, I might just winterize.

nick858
    Eldora, Iowa

Nice Fish. “limit of crappie” sounds funny to me. In our state, we dont have limits on crappies or bluegills.

Logan
    Big Lake, MN

That’s cause you don’t have any lakes!! (Couldn’t resist).

Ben Garver
    Hickman, Nebraska

It doesn’t look like you should put the boat away yet!!!
    Nice catch.

walleye4
    On the Water

I am just going to drain and fill lower units for now. That way I will still be able to go if it stays nice. I have older motors and have enough problems with them to worry about. Just precaution!

I am going to try and get out again!

Todd_NE

You… and Fish Hunter are the Masters.

T

Brian Robinson
    central Neb

You better get that boat out a few more times, Greg….we gotta break ice with it!

And thanks, Todd….although Greg is real hard to outfish when it comes to crappie! I’ve only done it once or twice…he’s the man.

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

Way to go!

Todd_NE

Walleye & FM

You guys ever ice fish for those crappies out there?? I’d be up to try that this winter!!!

Ben Garver
    Hickman, Nebraska

I bet they would be tastee out of some cold clean water!!!

walleye4
    On the Water

Quote:

Walleye & FM

You guys ever ice fish for those crappies out there?? I’d be up to try that this winter!!!

Boy do we like to ICE FISH!!!!!! With colder temps comes the urge to break out the ice gear, fire up the auger, and set up the shanty. We generally do our best in Northern KS if they get ice. Here is a couple pics from KS trips.

As for the tasty part from COLD water……..They are the best fish you’ll eat. Big difference from some caught in warm water. Meat is really firm. In fact, here is a pic of fishhunter while cleaning our catch of 12-15″ Slabs from KS. I have yet to this day been able to figure out if he is just really hungry or just MAD cause I out-fished
    him again!

Brian Robinson
    central Neb

I GOT A KNIFE!!! EVERYONE GET BACK!!!!

Todd_NE

Me thinks I have to make two good friends. And since I went to HS in Smith Center. I have wheat head status.

Wowza, do I miss panfishing!!!

Have strikemaster, marcum, and aquaview – willing to travel!

Todd

chadmayer
    Gretna, NE

You guys got to stop posting these pictures! You are making me very jealous. I’m going on day 20 in a row for work with finally a day off this Sunday. Of course, I’ll have to work the following 13 days By the way, I got a sneak peak of the new Cabellas and it’s 135,000 square feet of heaven

walleye4
    On the Water

Come ONE, come ALL!

I am always looking for some company on the weekends when Hard Water gets here.

Todd_NE

Ya, and fat friends like me are good to have during hard water.

“Yo, Todd, walk out there with your auger and clam. If you’re all right, we’ll come out too.”

Brian Robinson
    central Neb

Trust me, I feel your pain!!!

trevor nation
    Elwood/Johnson Lake, NE

How did you do today brian, I had to stay home and watch my kid

Brian Robinson
    central Neb

Didn’t do too bad at all. I plan on getting a report up online later on today. We caught some real nice crappie, and caught good numbers too. Always a blast!

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.