Holy coon run!

• Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Due to the cold snap and many other reasons that life thrown at me this winter, I haven’t been doing any trapping other than ADC work. But last night and this morning has proven to be a $$$ morning. 7 coon that I suspect all have distemper were sitting in fields just waiting to be put out of their misery. I was quite surprised on how nice the pelts look and not very rubbed up yet. This warm spell got them running!!!!

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

I wished I was back home this weekend to run some steel in country. Oh well. Congrats on the good catch!

cdm
    Oronoco, SE. MN.

Why do you suspect they had distemper ?

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

They were lethargic and were walking like they were drunk in the day time. Classic characteristics. Shot 11 so far that all had the same thing. I’ve had a few tested years ago that had the same thing and they all tested positive.

kooty
    Keymaster

Are you able to salvage the hide on these? The one we shot a couple falls ago out in SD was tiny and sick so we left him for the yotes.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Nothing wrong with the pelt at all. Like with any animals I skin, I wear the same latex gloves used by funeral directors (helps to have a couple in the family). Just never know what some animals carry. The say it can’t be contracted by humans, but I don’t take chances. Never intend on becoming blood brothers with a critter

kooty
    Keymaster

Me an several deer over the years have become related, but varmints scare me. Anything that eats that much dead stuff has to carry some bad stuff around.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.