First catch of the year!

• adamgdunn
    Iowa

Well, I set the line on Tuesday afternoon. There is a creek that is absolutly loaded with beaver, so much so that the surrounding hay field is slowly being flooded. I talked with the farmer who gave me permission to trap the area. He said that no one has ever trapped the creek to his knowledge.
    So Tuesday noght I went out and set the line. In about 3 hrs I was out of traps and thought…. I should really get some more. So kno the way back home I stopped by the store to get a few more 330’s for swimsets.
    Last night i set the swimsets.
    This morning I forced myself out of bed so that I could check the line before work. I got out to the start of the line which held a 330 on a good canal. I thought forshure this one would produce, but it was still set I move to the next set a drowning rig. The pan was tripped but jaws empty the same as the morning before. Feeling a tad discuraged I walk the bank to the next set, ( another drowning rig). same as the first, triggered and empty.
    I was really getting irritated at myself because the reason these rigs we empty was that I had not dug out a flat spot deep enought for the trap to lay in the bank so as the beavers climbed on shore they were triggering the trap with their bellies not feet.
    well the next set in the line was a beautiful swimset with a 330. I had high hopes for this one the night before but at this point I wasn’t holding my breath. Then there he was. a perfect set up. The trap closed just behind his head and right in the middle of his back! A very nice 45lb beaver. I reset and headed down the line hoping for more luck like the last. I passed a few sets that were untrigered and still ready. then I got to on of the dam sets swimming around my drowning steak was another good beaver and in the set that was on the dam a HUGE coon. I will try to post pictures a little later in the day. But all in all it was a great way to start the season out for myself.

phishirman
    Madison, WI

congrats Dunn. I’d love to get into trapping but thats just one more thing to take time away from the family.

ragerunner
    Winona, MN

Nice job, Dunn. Keep us non-trappers updated. It sounds like fun.

adamgdunn
    Iowa

Quote:

congrats Dunn. I’d love to get into trapping but thats just one more thing to take time away from the family.

Trapping for me takes less time than hunting because i walk the line early in the morning. My wife is much happier when I trap than when I hunt LOL. Maybe it is because she gets extra christmas monies.

steve_white
    St Germain, WI

Take the family trapping!!!!!!!!!!!

Steve

adamgdunn
    Iowa

I have been trying to upload some pictures but for some reason I can’t. does anyone have any ideas?

phishirman
    Madison, WI

Quote:

Quote:

Trapping for me takes less time than hunting because i walk the line early in the morning. My wife is much happier when I trap than when I hunt LOL. Maybe it is because she gets extra christmas monies.

you may be on to something!!!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.