River trapline goes in tomorrow

• amwatson
    Holmen,WI

Monday morning the river opens up for trapping and I am raring to go. I first have to get through work tonight At least I will have something to keep my mind occupied

I got the boat all loaded up with traps, lathes for stakes, drowning rigs for the coon sets, push pole, heater, and all the different setting tools I will need.

I am limited to 40 traps when trapping the refuge so the line won’t be a big one. My plan so far is to put out 30 rat sets and 6 coon sets for now. I have the other 4 tags on beaver traps and may just leave them on until beaver opens on the river.

The scouting I did on Friday shows some real promise as far as rat sign. The water has come up a little so getting in and out of places will be easier. The rat houses are actually in the water, unlike last year when the water dropped and left a bunch of rat huts completely out of the water. The next thing will be waiting to see how many other trappers are going to be out there. Even with a lot of trappers a guy can usually find places to set, it just takes a lot more work.

The weather looks like it is going to be nice with sun, 40 degrees, and little wind. I am hoping to beat last years poor catch of 74 rats. I would love to be able to catch 200 rats for once, but weather and time dictates that outcome.

Sleep will be very limited for a few weeks at least. With working a 3rd shift job I will have to find a routine that allows me to check traps, sleep, and skin. The routine I am planning is to check traps after work in the morning, get home and hang catch to dry, sleep until evening, eat, skin, and then get ready for work. I could sell everything on the carcus and not skin, but the extra $1-2 to skin is worth it to me. I may only be able to move a few traps a day on non-producing runs. When I was laid-off I had all day to check and reset along with all the other stuff involved. I am taking Monday night off so I will get at least 3 checks in before going back to work.

I sure hope tonight goes fast at work. I get more excited about setting the river than I do about hunting anything

Great White
    Vinton, Iowa

Good luck. I hope the traps are full of rats for ya!

–Whitey

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Good luck Mike, I hope you catch a bunch. I heard prices are down from last year, is that right?

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

Just getting ready to head out the door.

Dan-You are correct, prices are waaay down all across the board. Rats may bring $3 for good ones. Coon are anybody’s guess. Most carcus or green skinned are only bringing $5-10 for better quality. Most buyers don’t want or will not even buy smaller coon. I have not heard much on the beaver yet though

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

A few hours and some frozen fingers and face, I got most of the line in.
    A couple of things I was suprised to see set me back a little. The first is HOLY COMPETITION!!!!!! There were more airboats out today than I have ever seen. In fact, I didn’t know there were that many in the area. My first spot had me surrounded by 3 airboats and a flat bottom. I don’t mind the airboats, in fact I would love to have one. But, the thing that ticks me off is how they set the easy stuff. Never mind the fact that they can go anywhere and get to prime locations that the rest of us can’t
    With the low fur prices, I was honestly hoping more people would not be trapping. But, they are more than likely just like me, we love to trap regardless of the price.
    The other thing I was not expecting was ICE Ice would be alright I guess, but it blew my coon sets all to hell. It is tough to catch a coon when the shorelines are frozen which in turn leaves your trap under ice Ice is good for rats though, so there is at least something good to come out of it.
    Suprisingly, with all the huts out there, bank runs were very tough to find today. I have traps scattered from one end of the marsh to the next.
    All in all, I got 28 rat sets out and 2 coon sets. I am still going to look for places to put the rest of the coon sets, but it isn’t looking real good as of now. I also struggled to get all the rat traps out. There are a few places I couldn’t get to since there were duck hunters in the areas. I could have went in and set, but that probably wouldn’t have turned out so good.
    I am not real confident in some of the rat spots, but all I can do is set and see what happens. Tomorrow morning is a long ways away

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

I forgot to mention another experience that was a first for me this morning. I backed the boat into the water and for some reason, it just wouldn’t glide out away from the trailer like it always does. I was baffled and kept backing farther into the water. at the point where the water is even with the driver’s side door, I figured I better pull up a little and check the situation out. I get out, andthere is my trailer completely floating under the boat and the current is pushing it up against the dock The boat was frozen to the bunks I have NEVER had that happen and last year I had the boat out in colder weather later in the year than this. I am wondering if I am going to have to repeat this process every morning now? It was a booger trying to break it free. I am just glad I have waders so I can get right in the water and force the boat free.

jeff_hansen

Good luck on the ‘line, man… I ran a short ‘coon line again this fall. In 2 weeks time the kid and I ended up w/ 21 ‘coon

steve_white
    St Germain, WI

Mike, Where in WI are you trapping? Man, WOW! you are dealing with more ice and frozen stuff than I have seen so far. 7″ of snow so far temps down to 9. 18 at the moment, and nothing that bad. My boat is in the water daily musky fishing, and haven’t even frozen the livelwell lines yet!

Would think that my coons are going to go dormant after this week, and the waxed dirt will have to come out. Still by the end of the week I made need snow shoes. Another 2 weeks and the chainsaw will come out for the beavers.

Wish I had a use for an airboat. Even with the 3000 lakes we have around here there is very little use for one.

I envy the trapping you get to do. Normally by deer season around here there is so much ice and frost it becomes a major pain. Just glad we get to start snaring early this year. Just got to deal with all the deer hunters until the 14th.

Good luck,

Steve

steve_white
    St Germain, WI

Just got in from running my litle line. Very chilly running around at 9 degrees. Puddles in the trails froze over, and just a touch of skim ice along the creek. Won’t be long now, and we will be driving on 3ft of ice out there.

Steve

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

Talk about a frustrating season so far. So much so that the line is coming out tomorrow morning.
    I don’t even know the number of rats I have caught off hand, but it isn’t near as many as usual. I am guessing I have around 40? or so.
    My problem is this, I can’t move to reset
    I have never in my life seen as many trappers as I have this year. My first locations produced okay, but then as always they fizzle out. Then I have to move out to new areas. But, everywhere I can get to already has trap stakes from other people. I had traps scattered from the firing line to Big Marsh. I even walked back into places I couldn’t reach by boat just to get there and find the airboats are in there as well.
    With the prices the way they are, looks like a good time to hang up the traps for the rest of the season.
    I love to trap, but when you have limited time, limited patience , and nowhere to reset, it takes all the fun out of it. Maybe once ice hits I will try again.
    This week I was very sleep deprived with work, running the line, and skinning. Not sure how other people do it, but it will take all weekend just to catch up on some sleep

Great White
    Vinton, Iowa

Man that sucks. Take a break and regroup–but never surrender!

–Whitey

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

Quote:

Man that sucks. Take a break and regroup–but never surrender!

That is more than likely what I will end up doing
    When the pressure gets to high and I get to feeling swallowed up, I need to take a break and breathe, andthen hit it again. I just can’t seem to actually quit trapping until Mother Nature forces me to or I get REALLY burned out. Neither of those are the case right now

steve_white
    St Germain, WI

Better off that way now with the orange army hitting the woods. I’ve had more traps stolen during the deer season than any other time. Even had one taken right after a snow storm. Tracked that guy right to his truck.

Good luck when you start back up.

Steve

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

Quote:

I have never in my life seen as many trappers as I have this year.

Welcome to the mid and late 70’s Wats Furs were selling high and all of a sudden….everyone was a trapper

Being persistent will bring reward dude.

Thanks for the read, I look forward to some pics again this year

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

Quote:

Quote:

I have never in my life seen as many trappers as I have this year.

Welcome to the mid and late 70’s Wats Furs were selling high and all of a sudden….everyone was a trapper

Being persistent will bring reward dude.

Thanks for the read, I look forward to some pics again this year

So true Bret! I trapped from 73-79. Rats, mink, fox. Not much for coon back then for us. When someone got one, word of mouth spread like wildfire!

steve_white
    St Germain, WI

Just wait. When guys start to figure out they won’t be geting 50 bucks for a coon it will thin down fast. Then lots of cheap gear will be available.

With our orange army coming I am already seeing guys checking out sets. Started pulling everything yesterday. Last few come out today.

john_r
    LaCrosse Wi

yep fur is coming down, Had a guy tell me today, took in some nice coon, was offered 5-10 bucks. He said noway and walked out. but that is the fur business

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

Buddy of mine got $5 for a yote. It may have had a few too many breather holes in it.

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

I am going to be selling everything this Friday and calling it quits for the season, maybe even for good.
    There really isn’t a fur market this year so why flood the market? It may be several years before it gets straightened back out
    It might be time to sell all the non-essential traps I have that are taking up space. I don’t have a lot of traps so they are easily replaced a few years down the road if the market turns around.

ghalleland

Oh jeez Not again………….nevermind.

Great White
    Vinton, Iowa

If it comes to that–send me a list of what you have.

–Whitey

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.