Tic Toc

• Great White
    Vinton, Iowa

Our season opens a week from tomorrow. How about the rest of you? I need to get to the supply store and get a few things. I know I don’t have enough fish froze! I hoped to find some used coon cuffs or lil grizz this summer but could not–gonna have to part with the cash for new ones to expand the trap collection! Man I can’t wait.

–Whitey

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

I put in a small line last Saturday just to get some practice in for when I can actually hit the river to trap.
    I only had a few traps out for a few days.
    I caught 1 coon that was still blue. More stinking possums than I wanted and they were really thin skinned.
    I also had a first for me and one I don’t want to see again. I had a catch circle, a blood pool, boot prints, and a missing trap and animal
    I am pretty it was a coon in the trap that somebody wanted worse than me. I hope whoever stole it hurt their back getting my Pogo stake out of the ground
    Now I might wait until the Refuge opens on Nov. 10, or there is a small patch of Federal land that opens tomorrow that I might put a few sets out. I haven’t decided yet. I did do some scouting today while duck hunting and found some good muskrat sign.

Great White
    Vinton, Iowa

Sorry to hear you got robbed–that really sucks. Congrats on the catches though–can’t wait for next Saturday!

BTW–you need to change those fur count numbers!

–Whitey

timmy

Quote:

I hope whoever stole it hurt their back getting my Pogo stake out of the ground

Wats – I use Pogo’s a lot and I can just about bet that the thief either had a puller, or now has a sore back. Those are really the only two options.

I hate thieves.

Tim

Great White
    Vinton, Iowa

Almost time! Bought a new coon light yesterday because a buddy of mine got a dog so we are back at it this year! Also got some more coon cuffs since nobody has any lil grizz around here.

–Whitey

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

I am heading out in the morning after I get home from work to set a small line. I am only planning on setting out about 15 rat traps and a half dozen coon sets.
    My big set day is Nov. 10 and I just realised it is on a Monday Luckily I have 1 vacation day I need to burn so I am using on the 10th to be able to set traps all day.
    as far as the Lil’ Griz traps, from the sounds of it, they are once again out of stock and looking at a 6 month waiting period for new ones Unless of course you look at ebay They are selling on there for almost twice retail

steve_white
    St Germain, WI

There is a fairly new trap out there call the CC5000. Coon Catcher 5000. It’s a new dog proof trip. More like a coon cuff with all the parts covered. looks a little bigger though. Supposed to work real well, and is strong. I seen a pic of a badger caught in one.

Don’t know where to get or the cost yet.

Great White
    Vinton, Iowa

Hey AM, are you getting much fur yet? I decided to duck hunt with a buddy and his boy this morning so I only got about 2 dozen sets made–but they look like good ones. Can’t wait till morning–good thing I will be in the timber chasing coonhounds tonight to pass the time!

–Whitey

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

I don’t have a lot of sets out right now.
    I have 10 rat sets, 6 coon sets, and 3 beaver sets out. I just put the beaver sets out this morning for my first time ever. Not sure how that will turn out yet
    My first rat trap check was this morning and I ended up with 7 rats, 1 trap tripped, and the other 2 were untouched. I haven’t had much luck with the coon at this location yet. Hopefully that will change soon.
    On my beaver sets I found a nice bank den that has been used recently as well as 2 crawl out where they have been heading into the timber. In the bank den I have a 330 guarding the entrance. The 2 crawl outs have a #4 DLS off set and hopefully set for a front foot catch. No scents were used at any of the beaver sets so don’t know if I will have any luck or not. What I know about beaver trapping will fit in a thimble Trying to get some instruction on beaver trapping is like pulling teeth from the great beaver gurus

One other thing, I was down to Wiebke Fur yesterday and this morning. Typically by now they are flooded with coon and they are all over the floor. Now, there was not a single coon or any furbearer anywhere When asking what furs are going to bring right now, one guy said coon would top at $20 and that will be for the best hides. The market is very sluggish with the economy right now and some buyers aren’t even buying fur due to all the uncertainty.

Good luck in the morning with your first check

Great White
    Vinton, Iowa

Thanks AM–I am excited. As for beaver–I don’t trap a lot of them but do get the ones I target. You sound like you are on the right track. You can also use sticks to funnel them to a 330 in the middle of the creek. I like to snare them–wanna come try it!

–Whitey

steve_white
    St Germain, WI

Just talked to a friend who had a buddy sell a bunch of coon to Groenwald in the last few days near Fondulac,Wi. He got a top of $9 for a 40lb coon!!! Didn’t say what his average was. He was pretty ticked off. WOn’t be till mid Dec before he comes to my area. Hopefully by then his price will come up, or it’s off to the auction!!!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.