Muskrat floats?

• amwatson
    Holmen,WI

Does anybody use floats for muskrats? If so, how do you like them?

I found pictures of several different styles from guys all across the country. There are some pretty creative individuals out there Most all the floats I seen were made from old wood that was laying around.
    The reason I ask, is I coon trapped a place last year that had rat sign, but I never found a single den, and I looked hard But, on every log or stump there were rat toilets. I figured if the floats actually worked, I plan on making a few up tomorrow with the material I have laying around. Well, I will more than likely make some anyway just for something to try
    If you guys have any input, lets hear it

herb
    6ft under

I’d go with stools instead of floats especially in a place I had to walk to.

Great White
    Vinton, Iowa

Yep–I like stools too. Make a stake out of 2×2 long enough you can put it in the bottom of your creek and still have the top of the stool at water level. Use a board for the top–I use a 1×6 about 18 inches long. A nail in the center sticking up holds the bait (corn is good but apple will catch less herons). Nail the rings of two No. 1 longsprings to the bottom of the board, when the traps are set I put a nail in the top board and cut the head off–there is a small hole in the base of the trap that slips over the headless nail to hold it in place–hope this makes sense!

–Whitey

Great White
    Vinton, Iowa

If you do want to use floats–some old styrofoam and a piece of plywood will get you started! They work good but a lot harder to get to the trap site.

–Whitey

steve_white
    St Germain, WI

Watson- Look for bank dens like beaver. In a lot of places they use them more. Most of them will be under water and a great place to trap. Landowners will be very happy you are around as well. The hole they make really damage the property.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.