Trappers getting ready yet?

• amwatson
    Holmen,WI

With the cool nights and a chill in the air, the itch for trapping season is steadily growing.
    I spent a little time in the shed this past week sifting peat moss and going over my supplies.
    This coming week I will be getting the traps out and making sure the coon traps are adjusted, trap tags are still in good shape, and getting the cable stakes rounded up.
    Then I will get the water traps out and get them all organized and ready to hit the water in November.
    I should take the boat out soon and get a supply of fish for bait in the pocket sets for coon and maybe a wayward mink if I am lucky.
    With the cool weather, the mosquitos should be a little slower so I can get out and do some walking along the streams and creeks and look for sign.
    This is the time of year I start to feel alive and can’t wait to get out and lay some steel. I will once again be happy to walk in the water or on the ice in freezing conditions just to see what the next trap will bring. The cold crisp air burning the lungs as the sun starts to rise over the bluffs is what keeps me going for another day.
    The fur price doesn’t mean as much to me as the freedom I get while being away from the concrete jungle.
    Only a few more weeks before the land trapping opens and I will be ready when it finally gets here.

deertracker

I look forward to your trapping posts every year. Good luck this season and post often.
    DT

Great White
    Vinton, Iowa

I’m getting excited! Started checking some of my area already to see where the trails are. Won’t be long.

–Whitey

farmboy1
    Mantorville, MN

Quote:

I look forward to your trapping posts every year. Good luck this season and post often.
    DT

I agree. Your posts make me want to dig my old steel out of the shed and get to waxing

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

DT

Some of my favorites as well. I’ve been checking in here often to see when Mike would start with his trapping posts.

les_welch

Waxed dirt is made and stored. Traps are adjusted, dyed, waxed, stored, and ready to rock. Have driven some of the lines and made a few tweeks, adding some new permissions. Just waiting for the first of Novemeber now!

big_g
    Isle, MN

I enjoy reading the trapping posts as well. Haven’t set a trap (other than a mouse) for about 23 years… brings back the memories of the cool crisp morning hikes through the swamp

big G

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

Quote:

Have driven some of the lines

Someday when I get big, I will have a line I can drive instead of walk and walk and walk
    Trapping mostly Federal land makes for a lot of walking in muck up to your crotch, dragging a boat over shallow water, and carrying a bunch of gear to get to trapping locations. But, when the day is done, I still can’t wait for morning

les_welch

Quote:

Quote:

Have driven some of the lines

Someday when I get big, I will have a line I can drive instead of walk and walk and walk
    Trapping mostly Federal land makes for a lot of walking in muck up to your crotch, dragging a boat over shallow water, and carrying a bunch of gear to get to trapping locations. But, when the day is done, I still can’t wait for morning

I trap some of the refuge areas between Tremp and Winona, that also is mainly walking. I like to wait until freeze up, then I can cover ground better. It is more work, but I love winter trapping. WTA

Great White
    Vinton, Iowa

Working around two jobs I have to rely on a “motor route” for most of my trapping. I can’t wait to retire so I can trap more!

–Whitey

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

I will admit, I am envious of the Iowa guys. Snares are legal, road trapping is legal, and there seems to be an endless supply of coons
    I know there are downsides to the above, but it would still be nice especially when compared to WI and their strict regulations on just about everything. I would love to be able to use snares for coon. It would sure beat carrying around a bunch of #1.5 coils.

adamgdunn
    Iowa

Hey Wats! I know we have talked about this on our own, BUT I CAN”T WAIT!!!! I can already smell the rotting leaves in the creek bed, feel my fingers going numb from the cold steel!!! AHHHHH!!!! when oh when will november come?

Great White
    Vinton, Iowa

I forgot you guys can’t use snares. But you don’t get to ditch trap either?

–Whitey

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

Quote:

But you don’t get to ditch trap either?

Nope, no trapping the ROW either, at least not that I am aware of. There are quite a few culverts and fencelines that I would love to be able to punch in a set and move on to the next one.
    It could be worse I guess, WI could have CO or CA trapping laws

Great White
    Vinton, Iowa

It is a fast way to cover ground!

–Whitey

sippiriverrat
    Andover MN.

This will be my first year ever trapping, I bought all my gear last year. I’m sure I will be posting a m illion questions Hopefully some good pics too.

Great White
    Vinton, Iowa

Always good to see another trapper join the ranks! Ask all the questions you want–I am sure you will get plenty of answers.

–Whitey

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.