Prime hides ?

• sippiriverrat
    Andover MN.

I am going to get into trapping nexted year and I was wondering what time of the year are the hides best, I read that hides can get passed prime as the winter goes on, so when is the prime time to harvest game? Also were would you recommend I get my trapping supplies for and who is a good outfit to sell hides too. I have been doing alot of reading and joined the MTA, there is alot of things to do to get up to speed for nexted season. Any help would be great, and if anyone is still running a line I would love to tag along

blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

AmWatson asked me to post this for him.

blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

Here’s a larger version that’s easier to read.

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

That is a crude drawing, but it was the best I could do for now. The red lines are the months when the hides are prime. The flat lines at the beginning and the end are when the hides have no value.

Now, to your second question about trapline suppliers.
    there are a few in MN and both are very reputable. the first is:
    Minnesota Trapline Products

The second is Cumberlands, but I didn’t look for the URL for that yet.

Hope this helps a little

sippiriverrat
    Andover MN.

Thanks for the info guys.

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

Here is a better version of the Fur Primeness Chart

steve_white
    St Germain, WI

That chart is a nice reference tool. Prime will vary depending on where you are in the country. Most commomn misconception is that it has to due with temp. It actually is the amount of daylight that triggers the process.

Some of the best coon hides are in the late winter months. Unfortunately hibernation ruins them. The raseon is urinating on themselves. You will notcie the fur turns a yellowish color. Beaver go bad when the ice starts to go as they rub out the fur going in and out the ice. Coyote and fox wil stay prime well into the end of winter. Fox season ends before they loose prime here. Coyote go out of prime while we are still hunting them. Normally by mid to end of march. Almost all our trpping seasons are over when fur is still pime. For the coon the weather pretty much ends it here.

In fact the weather pretty much puts and end to most of it here by deer season. Something about 3 ft of snow. This year snaring opens early so that will be real nice at least for the yotes and fox. I tell ya ice trapping beaver is some of the hardest work you can do.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.