A question for you trappers?

• pahaarstad
    metro

I do some phasant hunt on my uncles farm and on one part of the farm there is a dutch that a beaver dams up every year. The beaver dam floods out about hafe of the CRP land and makes it hard to for my uncle to get to the feild on the other side. I have two questions for you guys.

The first one is safety for my dog. My unlce will let some guys trap in the ditch. What should I be looking for to kept my dog form getting in to a trap. If I do not know if there is any one running a trap line out there.

The last question is what can we do to kept the Beaver form coming back. Two years ago I know there was a guy who took one out of there. My unlce has also tried to brake up the dam but that has never work. He has to be out evey day just to bring the water leave down so he can get out to his field.

blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

Have the guy trapping mark his sets with a piece of red or orange ribbon on a stick. Make sure it’s high enough so anyone who goes in there can see them. I would make that a requirement if the guy’s using jaw traps.

As for making sure they don’t come back, make sure the guy who traps them gets the pair or the whole family. Many times where there’s a house, there’s at least a pair. Sometimes a pair of adults and 1 or 2 juveniles.

There’s plenty of guys out there who will “trap for” the Beaver meanwhile, focusing on the rats and mink. We’ve dealt with many landowners who’ve had guys out there to remove the Beaver and didn’t get the job done because they were using the priviledge to trap other animals.

If you want to make sure the guy’s doing the job right, go out with him when he checks his traps.

les_welch

The problem is beaver are there for a reason, good water, food, and a place to live. Odds are if they are trapped out, new ones will take their place. Just have to keep after them.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.