Transom saver options

• Brian Robinson
    central Neb

Regarding the Wedge, I see them used and advertised as a single unit, when there are two rams. How necessary is it to have a wedge on each ram?

puddlepounder
    Cove Bay Mille Lacs lake MN

After watching most of the pros load their boats at the bassmaster elite at mille lacs, I only saw 1 transom saver, the rest were some type support on the hydraulics.

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

My two cents.

(A) Old habits die hard. Transom savers first came out when many motors did not have power tilt and trim. Before power tilt and trim was common and before “transom savers”, a person had two choices; trailer with the motor in the full down position risking contact with the pavement. or trailer with the motor tilted full up with only the trim lock lever holding it.
    Sometimes the trim lock lever would not be engaged properly or it would move or fail during a bumpy ride down the road. Naturally this would result in the motor dropping unrestricted from full up tilt position, to full down position. This was perceived to be hard on both the motor AND the transom, thus the name “Transom saver” came to be used for the support bracket.

In today’s world, any wedge, clamp or support bracket is only a safety device in case the hydraulics should leak down or fail. Do I use a device on my boat/trailer? Yes, and they all work, to prevent the motor dropping from the desired position.

My story and I’m sticking to it. wave

shady5

I believe HDave is spot on. I’ve used the Wedge on my 200 Verado (1 ram) for 3 years with no issues, not that that’s the ultimate test, though… A dealer told me that transoms are more robust now and can handle the bouncing. I can buy that given the seeming absence of transom issues out there. Has anyone had transom issues with a boat ten years or newer? Do the SBC guys agree with this (without putting themselves on the hook)?

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

So what does a boat & motor cost? What does the Wedge or a transom saver cost?

Do you buy insurance for your boat & motor?

It’s just a cheap form of insurance whether is works or not who really cares?

Iowaboy1

I use a transom savor even though my motor is only a forty horse merc.
    one thing I am not seeing mentioned is the wear it saves on all of the pivot points on the motor itself and that is a high wear point if they are not greased regularly.

I personally dont like the idea of the motor being slammed stop to stop when bouncing,but I dont have hydraulic steering to cushion that either,nor do I like the idea of the pounding the hydraulic trim takes without it.
    the motors with ram locks are fine as these tie the motor to the transom more solidly and they are bolted there anyway.

I do believe todays transoms are stronger but in my mind there are too many things that cannot take a beating forever without some kind of consequence down the road,for no more than what a transom saver cost,and the little time it takes to deal with it,I will continue to use it,my two cents.

shady5

It’s just a cheap form of insurance whether is works or not who really cares?

Exactly!

SuperDave1959
    Harrisville, UT

Regarding the Wedge, I see them used and advertised as a single unit, when there are two rams. How necessary is it to have a wedge on each ram?

On a Yamaha, you will break something (grease zert fitting) if you don’t put it on the right (correct) piston. So only one My-Wedge is necessary.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

My two cents.

(A) Old habits die hard. Transom savers first came out when many motors did not have power tilt and trim. Before power tilt and trim was common and before “transom savers”, a person had two choices; trailer with the motor in the full down position risking contact with the pavement. or trailer with the motor tilted full up with only the trim lock lever holding it.
    Sometimes the trim lock lever would not be engaged properly or it would move or fail during a bumpy ride down the road. Naturally this would result in the motor dropping unrestricted from full up tilt position, to full down position. This was perceived to be hard on both the motor AND the transom, thus the name “Transom saver” came to be used for the support bracket.

In today’s world, any wedge, clamp or support bracket is only a safety device in case the hydraulics should leak down or fail. Do I use a device on my boat/trailer? Yes, and they all work, to prevent the motor dropping from the desired position.

My story and I’m sticking to it. wave

I use a transom savor even though my motor is only a forty horse merc.
    one thing I am not seeing mentioned is the wear it saves on all of the pivot points on the motor itself and that is a high wear point if they are not greased regularly.

I personally dont like the idea of the motor being slammed stop to stop when bouncing,but I dont have hydraulic steering to cushion that either,nor do I like the idea of the pounding the hydraulic trim takes without it.
    the motors with ram locks are fine as these tie the motor to the transom more solidly and they are bolted there anyway.

I do believe todays transoms are stronger but in my mind there are too many things that cannot take a beating forever without some kind of consequence down the road,for no more than what a transom saver cost,and the little time it takes to deal with it,I will continue to use it,my two cents.

The two most intelligent posts in some time.

pale ryder
    NULL

So I understand the design of the wedges for supporting the motor, but they don’t really help the transom in any way correct?

No, by keeping the motor from bouncing they reduce stress on the transom.

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Dustin Gesinger wrote:</div>
    So I understand the design of the wedges for supporting the motor, but they don’t really help the transom in any way correct?

But the motor still has leverage correct?

Fife
    Ramsey, MN

I use the traditional transom saver, but the wedge units work fine. There is no reason to worry about transoms breaking while trailing. Boats are made to handle much worse on the water. My understanding is the only reason for a transom saver is to take the weight off of the hydraulic tilt/trim. Either style will accomplish that goal.

pale ryder
    NULL

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>pale ryder wrote:</div>

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Dustin Gesinger wrote:</div>

But the motor still has leverage correct?

Yes, I guess, but without bouncing it doesn’t have enough weight to be a problem.
    If I set a brick on your foot, no problem. If I drop a brick on your foot, problem.

pale ryder
    NULL

I think it is also worth noting that with a lower unit to trailer type transom saver, if the boat is able to move at all in relation to the trailer it would put a huge stress on the transom and motor. So if you use that type be sure the boat is tied TIGHT to the trailer both front and back.

hnd

i’ve seen some transoms wobbling on newer boats whree the guy had the little arm on his motor up and thats it.

i use the the normal Y transom saver that attaches to the roller. i would use the wedge if it was recommended by the manufacturer though. whatever maintains my warranty.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 45 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.