Transom saver options

• slab-hunter
    Red Wing, MN

Hi all,
    I am wondering what all of you out there use for transom savers on your outboards? I’m really not too keen on the idea of the old stand-by V shaped saddle bracket that the engine sits in with the arm going down to the trailer frame.
    Has anyone used any of the new Delrin plastic sleeves that fit over the tilt/trim cylinders?
    Any other options out there?

I just bought a new 1850 Pro Tiller with a 90 HP Merc this winter, looking for input from the group.
    Thanks,
    Don

bowtecmike
    Zimmerman mn

I’ve used the Y bar on every boat from 115-300hp outboards always worked great and I don’t plan on changing. I know the sleeves work well for most as well. Only down story I’ve heard is cold temps in March a friend had one freeze on and couldn’t get it off for a while.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Old stand-by works just fine for me. I’m not a fan of the Wedge or whatever it’s called but some like them. Anything is likely better then nothing.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_5571.jpg

A MyWedge came with my boat. I’m going on 10 years now with no issues. I pull my boat at least 4-5k miles a year.

Mike Klein
    Hastings, MN

I have a my wedge too on my 300 yammaha.

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

So I understand the design of the wedges for supporting the motor, but they don’t really help the transom in any way correct?

puddlepounder
    Cove Bay Mille Lacs lake MN

This has been discussed many, many, many, many, many, many times here on ido and many other forums. Think about the strength of a transom, it has a 300hp motor hanging on it that weighs in the 600lb range, now add the torque it develops when you put the hammer down, time after time. When was the last time you saw a outboard motor laying on the side of the highway, even back in the day, pre transom savers. If you want to attach your motor to the trailer via the transom saver, go head. Next time you are at the launch, look at the lower units that all have paint wore off due to the transom saver vibrating and transferring every shock from every bump in the road. My 225 optimax came with a M-Y Wedge and I do use it on longer trips. A mile down the road to the launch, not so much.

dutchie,
    just wondering, did skeeter send your boat from the factory with that transom saver or did SBC add that to your package???

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

It was on the boat. My Ranger when new also had one. Ranger had a 135 Optimax, Skeeter has a 115 hp Yamaha.

For me I don’t really care if it actually helps or not, it just makes me sleep easier knowing its there.

sktrwx2200

M-Y wedge.. holds my 300 just fine, that used in combo. with 2 bumpers on the steering rod make the motor not move even a little. Very Fast on and off.

Buddies 2014 Ranger uses a transom saver and has a bunch of chips in the front of motor from hitting the bottom of the “y” bracket piece during big bumps. Seems dumb, and takes time to attach and detach. But I don’t think you can use a WEDGE on a verado because the trim piston is hidden.

Rick Janssen

I have used both and I like both. I have the “wedge” thing now and the only difference I can tell is it is much easier to put on and off than the old style.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

It still makes sense to me to share the weight of the motor with the trailer while driving rather than the transom. I have used the steel bar to trailer since day one.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I think “transom saver” always was the wrong term. It should be tilt & trim saver, I don’t think the wedge does anything to help the transom, but I’m not sure the transom really needs help for the same reasons puddlepounder pointer out.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

It still makes sense to me to share the weight of the motor with the trailer while driving rather than the transom. I have used the steel bar to trailer since day one.

x2. If the boat is strapped down tight to the trailer, there should not be any movement on the lower unit.

-J.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I think “transom saver” always was the wrong term. It should be tilt & trim saver, I don’t think the wedge does anything to help the transom, but I’m not sure the transom really needs help for the same reasons puddlepounder pointer out.

Good point. I know it helps the life of the hydraulics.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

My transom saver the v is all rubber so no paint removal.

It certainly solidifies any bouncing that may or may not have long term negative effects to the transom or hydrolics. Therefore I use it even on my 2 block drive to/from the landing. Feels good.

puddlepounder

It was on the boat. My Ranger when new also had one. Ranger had a 135 Optimax, Skeeter has a 115 hp Yamaha.

For me I don’t really care if it actually helps or not, it just makes me sleep easier knowing its there.

it was on the boat when you got it, my question is, did the factory send the boat out with it or did SBC put it on?

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>suzuki wrote:</div>

x2. If the boat is strapped down tight to the trailer, there should not be any movement on the lower unit.

-J.

nobody must strap down their boat very good, I haven’t seen a lower unit yet that didn’t have paint and in some cases, metal worn away from the transom saver. Or it don’t matter how tight you strap the boat down, the shock from all the bumps in the road transfers from the trailer to the motor. Hence worn paint and metal on the lower unit.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Tom i don’t know if it shipped that way or if SBC added it.

puddlepounder

My point is, if it really needed a transom saver, the manufacturer would ship the boat from the factory with one.

sticker
    StillwaterMN/Ottertail county

I sure wouldn’t want my 600lb motor hanging free on the transom while I bounce down the road. Maybe the transom is made for it, but I like having the extra support of the transom saver.

Jonesy

Why do people care if paint is rubbed off on a lower unit?

puddlepounder

I sure wouldn’t want my 600lb motor hanging free on the transom while I bounce down the road. Maybe the transom is made for it, but I like having the extra support of the transom saver.

just what is the transom saver supporting? look at the angle of the motor and the angle of the transom saver. snake oil if you ask me. what is supporting your 600# motor when out on the lake and when you increase the throttle to full. the torque the motor generates is far more greater than the shear weight of a 600# motor bolted to the transom

Eric Rehberg
    Eau Claire, WI

My point is, if it really needed a transom saver, the manufacturer would ship the boat from the factory with one.

Brian and Tom, Skeeter sends it from the factory with that transom saver.

sticker

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>sticker wrote:</div>

just what is the transom saver supporting? look at the angle of the motor and the angle of the transom saver. snake oil if you ask me. what is supporting your 600# motor when out on the lake and when you increase the throttle to full. the torque the motor generates is far more greater than the shear weight of a 600# motor bolted to the transom

Whole different force on the transom when the boat is in the water and that is what the transom is designed for. It’s not designed to hang a 600lb motor on it unsupported then bounce down the road. Sure there is some thought put into the design for that, but it’s far from the primary design.

roosterrouster
    Inactive
    The "IGH"...

I have always just used an 18″ piece of 2X4…Bad idea? I just put it in place then trimmed the motor down against the wood. In theory it works…??? RR

puddlepounder

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>puddlepounder wrote:</div>

Brian and Tom, Skeeter sends it from the factory with that transom saver.

thanks for the clairifaction on that. its too bad that they don’t ship their 20 foot tillers from the factory with 150hp outboards jester jester devil i wonder if there is any other manufactures that ship brand new boats with a transom saver?

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>puddlepounder wrote:</div>

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>sticker wrote:</div>

Whole different force on the transom when the boat is in the water and that is what the transom is designed for. It’s not designed to hang a 600lb motor on it unsupported then bounce down the road. Sure there is some thought put into the design for that, but it’s far from the primary design.

i would have to belive that transoms are designed with both forces in mind. like i aready said, when was the last time you saw a outboard motor laying the the ditch becauce the transom failed while “bouncing” down the road. i have seen a few boats laying in the road, most likely due to the fact that the owner didn’t use the safety chain that comes stock on all trailers.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

I’ve see trim pistons fail on a boat going down the road. Lower unit and prop were getting ground into the pavement at 60MPH !

-J.

milemark_714

I have always just used an 18″ piece of 2X4…Bad idea? I just put it in place then trimmed the motor down against the wood. In theory it works…??? RR

I have used a piece of wood for years,no problems.But those were smaller motors(under 70hp).Noone will steal a chunk of wood,but I have heard of transom savers getting ripped.

Still amazes on how many will trailer with the tilt lock and nothing else.

sticker

I cringe when I see a motor trimmed up and going down the road transom just flexing with every bump shock whistling

Jordan

Why do people care if paint is rubbed off on a lower unit?

Because your boat needs to be really expensive, shiny, and look really good to catch fish jester . Of course the lower unit has to be perfect, fish wont bite unless they see a lot of $ signs and a perfect paint job on the boat. I mean come on spending 100K on a fishing boat will make you a better fisherman, then make you really angry when you cant catch a darn thing but the guy in a 1984 lund drifting by is pounding them rotflol . LOVE IT!

4 BUCK
    South Dakota

My new Skeeter came with a ProRule Transom saver? This is for a SHO Motor.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 45 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.