traditional bow hunting??

• buschman
    Pool 2

Hi guys, I just wanted to ask if anyone here hunts with a long bow or recurve? I never have but used to shoot traditional bows quite a bit when I was younger. This caught my interest the other day while I was stuck at home so I watched some videos and ended up making my first long bow. This was a super fun project to do and might try a recurve next. I just wanted to see if there were many here that used traditional gear for hunting. I only plan to target shoot with this bow I made but one day might try it while on stand if I become satisfied or confident with one I make.

hillhiker
    SE MN

No experience personally other than target shooting with one of my dads old recurves from when he first started hunting way back in the day. However one of his friends still builds and hunts with traditional bows. He even made his own arrows for a while. Very cool stuff, and to top it off he took a lot of impressive animals over the years!

If you haven’t looked up Bowmar Bowhunting on youtube check it out. I recently watched a couple vids of his Africa hunts which include some animals being taken with a bow he made. He even chased a hippo around with the bow, but ended up shooting it with his compound due to the distance.

buschman
    Pool 2

I really enjoyed making the bow. I had all the tools around and tried to keep it to hand tools over power tools on the bow. Cost 17.00 for the materials (Red Oak, fiberglass drywall tape and wood glue). I did order a custom string (30.00) so have some money invested but not terrible.

I will check out that youtube channel. I already told my kids we will be eating rabbit one night. I have more rabbits running around at my place than most could imagine. Might be the only live target this bow sees.

deertracker

Bowmar had a few videos on making the bow itself. His goal was to get some crazy heavy draw weight for Africa and redid it at least a few times.
    DT

buschman
    Pool 2

I watched a few different guys do builds on bows. Kramer Ammons on you tube had the design I used for the long bow. I want to try a recurve also but that will be down the road. I would really like to learn how to bend these limbs. I watched a few videos on this also and does not look difficult. You just need some additional tools but not brain surgery. I wanted to get a long bow shooting smooth before I moved to a recurve and higher weight. The one I built draws 29 inches at 47 lbs right now

Mike Gioia

I hunt with longbows, sometimes recurves and occasionally what they call hybrids. (Almost a longbow). I can see this is older but did you have questions you didn’t figure?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.