Tracking dogs for deer

• deertracker

Anyone follow the MN tracking dogs group on FB? Has a map and contact info for local trackers. Some interesting dogs being used. Saw a post today where a Rat Terrier is being used. Seems to be a pretty successful dog.
    DT

grubson
    Harris, Somewhere in VNP

This has been very interesting to me since it became legal in mn.
    I’ve been seriously considering buying a pup to train to do it.
    Check out Shane Simpson on YouTube.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

I don’t follow the group on fb, but see them elsewhere. The service is growing. More common to see on hunting shows and many posts on various hunting groups on fb.

Neighbor kid has a nut that is awesome on a blood trail. Doesn’t take much faint watery blood for that dog to get at it. Tagged along in two recoveries and major kudos to this dog’s ability. We went hundreds of yards on a gut shot deer with zero blood. Dog found it no problem

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Yeah it’s pretty cool so many are available. I do get a chuckle at the recoveries that are like 100 yards or less, I realize the trackers want you to back out and not mess up the blood trail, but wonder how many of those recoveries would have been easily done by humans with some level of tracking skills.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Question on the deer-tracking dogs. Are they used to track a deer that aren’t wounded? Like a bird dog when you go hunting, as an example. Or are they only being used to track down deer that have only been wounded? I can’t imagine going hunting for deer and just releasing the dog to chase up a deer to shoot at.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Only wounded deer, check out their fb page. Running deer with dogs is illegal in MN I’m pretty sure.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

My dog is plenty good at finding live deer. I can’t believe a bleeding deer would be an issue to locate. rotflol

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Only wounded deer, check out their fb page. Running deer with dogs is illegal in MN I’m pretty sure.

Thanks

gunsmith89
    eyota, mn

Minnesota Tracking dogs. I wish I would have worked with mine while training her in NAVHDA. If anyone in SE Minnesota needs one I have a couple contacts.

Hoyt4
    NULL

The dogs do not go by the blood trail but by the glands in the hooves of the deer. I was lucky enough to use David Little. He was great to work with and we shared both information form each other from hunting and tracking dogs. Think we both learned and shared. We recovered my ladies deer her first archery harvest on opening evening this year. This is a great asset to hunters and to help find closer or know the animal is going to make it. There was an article in the outdoor news paper also was on the news channel 9. Was on the radio explaining and trying to get word out there. It’s just another tool for us hunters to have more success.

I’m not saying you stop learning how to track or anything like that but when you did everything you could and still think you have a chance at recovery and know that animal is expired why not do everything you can to recover the animal. I know on our deer it was not the best hit but I knew in my gut that this deer was down and could still be recovered. I’m glad I went with my gut feeling because we ended up finding the deer and never had one drop of blood. My old man and I have tracked a lot of deer I’m sure people have tracked more but we are not rookies and his dog made two hunters very happy with a great deer and successful recovery that would not of happen without the dog.

You also do not have to have the dogs come out. He will actually help with tracking tips just another route to try and help with finding that deer. It’s just a way to help hunters if they might not of thought about something or option of bringing out a dog to help. Why not try and recover and I think it’s a great thing about making this legal in MN a few years ago. Not everyone knows about this. My lady actually pointed me in his direction since i’m not on facebook or any social media.

CaptainMusky

I don’t follow the group on fb, but see them elsewhere. The service is growing. More common to see on hunting shows and many posts on various hunting groups on fb.

I was watching a recent episode of The Hunting Public where they used one. Pretty cool how they show you all the handlers and their locations and they come to you. That particular deer was recovered, but by the hunter. I am sure the dog helped in some way. He shot it a second time and hit it right in the antler and the broadhead was still stuck in it. LOL

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.