Towing Yukon xl

• Deuces

Got some campers I want to pull, newer truck I want to upgrade what can be to help pull these things. Already has the tow package which includes tranny cooler.

Thinking air bags, the XL has slightly less payload then the regular from what I imagine hitch point further out from axle, what kind of bags? Any brands you trust? Go to a shop that will just take care of it and trust that?

Tires, have the big 22s on it, stupid newb doesn’t know if those are the best for towing, need extra sidewall supports? Better to switch entire wheels out?

Dont mind throwing a few grand at it for the life of vehicle, campers aren’t going anywhere anytime soon and imagine will be pulling them couple times a year.

Thanks for any thoughts.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

I would for sure add the air bags. I run Air Lift brand and they work great and the kit is only $100.00 as long as you find it ok to add air prior to trips and don’t need to adjust them on the fly. I would suggest an upgrade on the tires to a higher load range for more comfort but may not have to. Could look for a set of take off wheels and up the load range on those and keep the dubs for the ladies.

Deuces

I’m not fashionista whatsoever, I’ve had nice offers on the stock wheels that would make it easy to swap out for a better tow tire if they’re worth it.

What load range am I looking for?

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I did air lift brand in my ram. No complaints. I also have 22s on it never had a issue. Get a anti sway bar for the hitch

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

I just prefer to get out of the P metric load range to at least an xl. Load range anywhere from C-E would work, but the E load range is gonna feel stiff when not towing. The problem is with the lack of people interested in mid load ranges, they aren’t making them in most tire brands. Also consider a nice aluminum adjustable draw bar for your hitch, so many guys out there towing with the nose down on the trailer.

onestout
    Hudson, WI

I have firestone bags with the airlift compressor system. Have the remote on my sun visor next to my garage door opener. System was about 450-500.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

Maybe I read it wrong, but did you say you’d be pulling the campers a couple of times a year?

That’s hardly regular towing in my book. I wouldn’t go hog wild pouring in thousands if that’s the extent of the towing, but to each their own.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

How big of campers are we talking?

Deuces

Not sure on length, but weights were dry around 4500# and the other 10000#, with truck full of passengers, and bikes, coolers, etc is gonna be maxing it.

My mom’s Ford f150 pulled the heavy one fine, not sure how my 5.3l would do.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

10K is going to be pushing it for sure, but it will do it. Go with the suggestions and make dam sure the trailer brakes work on both and take it easy.

walldows

Definitely go with a load E tires. I have a Tahoe and upgraded the rear springs and put on load E tires. That took all of the rear end sway out of the Tahoe.

KPE
    River Falls, WI

What year Yukon XL? It might already have self-leveling rear suspension (not bags, but very useful). My wife’s plain jane 2016 Tahoe surprised the hell out of me the first time I put the boat on the hitch and it self-leveled. Got 16 mpg pulling the boat with that thing and now I prefer it over my silverado!

You might be just fine using the factory equipment as long as the camper isn’t exceeding the max tow rating. I’d probably just put brand new pads and rotors all around, high quality ones at that. That’s pretty much it honestly

Deuces

2015, unsure if it has that package or not. It has the towing and the open road package.

Been calling around, looks like the bags with remote is around 1500k more or less installed.

The trailer brake controller is already on the dash so ill start towing small and see how she goes.

Great advice fellas i appreciate it.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

Beads if you want just order the cheap Air Lift kit with the manual fill system and I can have one of my guys install it for $200-300. The kit should run you $100.00. It worked for me on my old Yukon and is currently what I run on my Ram

Deuces

Hells yes.

PM me your info.

Assuming it’s a Schroeder valve by the wheel well?

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

I put the valve right in the bumper next the the drivers side of the license plate. Looks stock. I will pm you.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

All you need is a Keen set of boots

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I put the valve right in the bumper next the the drivers side of the license plate. Looks stock. I will pm you.

Same set up I have. Very simple and easy. The kit is on Amazon for 100 bucks ball park when I bought it 5 years ago

Coletrain27

i put firestone bags on my f-250 and ran the schrader valves to the back under the bumper. my setup was almost $500 though and i installed them myself

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.