Tournament Rules Question

• theodorenugget
    Sugar Land, TX

Relating to bass tournaments… I have seen the tournament rule “No passing in a no wake zone”

I was recently in a tournament where I was 2nd boat in line through a no-wake zone. The co-angler of boat 1 climbed onto the bow of the boat & began to fish. The captain of boat 1 continued to use the big motor on the way through the no-wake zone.

Does no passing mean NO PASSING ? What if this guy sets the hook on a fish ? Can I pass him at all ?

I’m sure final ruling is up to the TD. Just wondering anyones experience.

das_bass
    Mound, MN

My 2 cents is if boat one didn’t slow down, you don’t pass him. If he slows down to land a fish, go right ahead and go by if you can do so safely. But your tournament director would be the best person to ask, and answers may vary for different tournaments.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Your in a gray area with this and more variables that will influence a TD’s thought on it. Many bass tournaments call out that you can not fish while the combustion engine is running OR both passengers must be in the cock-pit area of the boat while the combustion engine is running. If so, the guys you witnessed would have or should have been DQ’d. Also, in the few tournaments I have been the TD, I rule they “stopped” to fish and forfieted their right to pass through a no wake zone as lead boat. (when fishing with the combustion engine was legal)

Its much like the common scense factor that needs to be applied when someone anchors in a no wake zone and their isn’t a legal distance to pass them by.

Ultimately though, if there isn’t clear definitions in your rules, ask the TD!

theodorenugget
    Sugar Land, TX

Awesome.. thanks for the info !!

bear schutts
    Menomonie, Wisconsin

Every tournament is ran a little differnt when it comes to the no passing rule in a slow no wake. Now since it has happend to you it would be a good question to ask in the pre tournament meeting so every one is clear on where the director stands on it and there are no protests at the end of the weigh in. I would treat it as no passing as long as they have there PFD’s on and one of them is behind the wheel and still moving the boat.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.