Too close?

• pool2fool
    Inactive
    St. Paul, MN

@DAVEBThe other thing I like is bass fisherman covering docks. We have a family place on a popular <strong class=”ido-tag-strong”>bass lake and they will cozy right up even if people are on the dock or using the lake to swim. I don’t really mind it so long as they are respectful. Some people get really po’d at them, though. The only thing that gets me going is when they hook the underside of the dock and break off and leave a huge hook there. My dad sliced his hand open a couple of years ago because of that.

We go to a friend’s cabin on a small lake near Minocqua, WI with no public access. There is one guy on that lake who has convinced himself that his property rights extend into the water from his shoreline and out past his dock. I was on a kayak about 10 yards from his dock with a slip bobber sitting pretty much under it and he essentially told me I was trespassing. Obviously he’s full of crap but I’m not out there to argue with gramps. There’s plenty of lake to go around and life is too short.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

We need the video of the guy kayak fishing and Grandpa comes out and yells at him for catching his daughters panfish. He then gets in his little boat and puts around harassing the fisherman.

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

We need the video of the guy kayak fishing and Grandpa comes out and yells at him for catching his daughters panfish. He then gets in his little boat and puts around harassing the fisherman.

That’s a classic!

SuperDave1959
    Harrisville, UT

In the original post, would a planer board have made any difference? I fish some lakes where the shore fishermen wade into the water and stand on ladders, shoulder to shoulder. A boat fishing there from the opposite side doesn’t seem to be anymore of an invasion of space than the banks guys standing in touching distance of each other.

MNSmallieGuy
    Minnesota

I stay away from everyone including shore fishermen…..But for some reason they sure like to find me on the water.

The only exception, I am not a fan of people fishing on launch docks so I have no patience for them. Unless it is kids.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Anyone sit on a spot when it is slow and see a few boats in the distance so you pretend to be hauling fish in to get them to come over and then you leave?

The SCRATCHER
    spring valley mn

I lived in Alaska for 4 years. you would all be on fire when the person next to you fishing is 2 feet away from you!! try this sometime its called combat fishing and very interesting!! ships creek, bird creek and the russsian river

slipbob_nick
    Princeton, MN

My old man used to have a shirt that said if you can read this you are fishing too close. sometimes people are oblivious and I live and let live. Sometimes people do stuff to be dinks that’s a good time to throw out some crafty ones. seen it both ways. Before our house was built our dock was already there good sized dock about every other time went out there someone was fishing on it. people would apologize and start to leave always told them keep fishing what difference does it make the fish swim and what do I care as long as they don’t leave a mess.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

I think part of it is people have no self control too. I can see why people are this way.

At my brother’s cabins I’d get annoyed seeing bass guys moving toward the dock or people fishing the brush pile for crappies right near his dock. Not that I would do anything, but I would have to reason with myself that I have no reason for it to bug me.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

I think part of it is people have no self control too. I can see why people are this way.

At my brother’s cabins I’d get annoyed seeing bass guys moving toward the dock or people fishing the brush pile for crappies right near his dock. Not that I would do anything, but I would have to reason with myself that I have no reason for it to bug me.

It’s OK to get at mad at them if they catch something.

Couple of years ago I was fishing at my folks place off the dock and I see these guys in a duck boat rowing back to the landing. I hop in my boat to head out and ask if they need a tow. When I get out there, one of the guy goes “you gotta see this fish we caught.” Knowing it’s a bass and pike lake I assumed that is what they had. Lo and behold, they pull up the stringer and have a 31″ walleye on it. I’ve been fishing that lake for 10 years for supposed ‘trophy’ walleye everyone talked about. Then these two, drowning suckers for pike, catch this monster. As I was hooking them up to tow them back, I thought about dragging them to the middle and leaving them. How dare they fish on my lake and catch the trophy walleye that was meant for me!

That is one we still laugh about whenever fishing at my folks place.

Tuma
    Inactive
    Farmington, MN

I can just see this thread blowing up after opener. This is one of the reasons why I will not take my boat out on opener weekend anymore. As soon as I would pull in a walleye, I couldn’t put my rod back into the water because someone moved in so close to my boat where I was anchored.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Then these two, drowning suckers for pike, catch this monster.

You need to start using suckers! I used to use 3-5″ suckers for walleye when I could.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Try trolling shallow on Mille Lacs opener night, and the lighted bobbers come out from guys who have been partying for a few hours…

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Matt Moen wrote:</div>
    Then these two, drowning suckers for pike, catch this monster.

You need to start using suckers! I used to use 3-5″ suckers for walleye when I could.

Nah, I did the sensible thing and bought a couple grand in electronics to find these fish. I’m still looking……

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

That sounds like more fun.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

It’s OK to get at mad at them if they catch something.

LOL, that’s too funny. A few years ago, I (not a walleye guy in the least) hauled in a 27″ on our lake pitching a swim jig under a dock in about 3 feet of water. My B-I-L (a devout walleye guy) was so annoyed. )

I generally don’t mind if people fish our docks, as long as they’re courteous. I usually use the opportunity to stroll down and gather intel! That being said, if we’re out on the dock fishing or swimming, don’t expect me to move out of your way.

I get a kick out of the guys that suddenly come out and start throwing a ball off the dock for their dog right before you get to the end of their dock. Now that I said that, my dog will probably be the one greeting people this summer. )

pool2fool
    Inactive
    St. Paul, MN

Nah, I did the sensible thing and bought a couple grand in electronics to find these fish. I’m still looking……

rotflol

I get a kick out of the guys that suddenly come out and start throwing a ball off the dock for their dog right before you get to the end of their dock.

They don’t call Minnesotans passive aggressive for nothin!

Hunting4Walleyes
    MN

I fish some lakes where the shore fishermen wade into the water and stand on ladders, shoulder to shoulder.

Pyramid Lake?

I was there about a year ago and it was one of the most interesting fishing experiences of my life. I was lucky enough to land a nice cutty with my fly rod on my first trip. You can guarantee I will be back in the near future!

And yes, I was one of those guys on a ladder. doah

tbro16
    Inactive
    St Paul

I chuckle every time I see this argument throughout the year.

Why would anyone (from shore or boat) want to be anywhere near other boats or lines? I will easily log 100+ days in a boat this year and another dozen from shore, and I will be able to count on one hand the number of times I am within a few hundred yards of another fishing line. There are thousands of lakes and thousands of miles of rivers. When people line up on a spot and compete for their space, it has to take the enjoyment out of fishing.

For someone that fishes that often I’d expect you to have several more ideas on where to fish in any lake. Heck, when I was younger and first learning the hows, whens, and wheres of fishing, my favorite spot on every body of water was WOBA (where other boats are). I simply did not have the time, money, or parents approval to fish enough to pick up any sort of routine. Not to say I’m going to anchor up within a casting distance, but shame on you if you think you are any more entitled to any spot on any public body of water. Dont hate the player, hate the game. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ From shore? Slightly different, but still see both sides. Sure it can be frustrating, but if it really grinds your gears THAT much… then move.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>buckybadger wrote:</div>
    I chuckle every time I see this argument throughout the year.

Why would anyone (from shore or boat) want to be anywhere near other boats or lines? I will easily log 100+ days in a boat this year and another dozen from shore, and I will be able to count on one hand the number of times I am within a few hundred yards of another fishing line. There are thousands of lakes and thousands of miles of rivers. When people line up on a spot and compete for their space, it has to take the enjoyment out of fishing.

For someone that fishes that often I’d expect you to have several more ideas on where to fish in any lake. Heck, when I was younger and first learning the hows, whens, and wheres of fishing, my favorite spot on every body of water was WOBA (where other boats are). I simply did not have the time, money, or parents approval to fish enough to pick up any sort of routine. Not to say I’m going to anchor up within a casting distance, but shame on you if you think you are any more entitled to any spot on any public body of water. Dont hate the player, hate the game. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ From shore? Slightly different, but still see both sides. Sure it can be frustrating, but if it really grinds your gears THAT much… then move.

I must’ve missed the part where I stated I was “more entitled to any spot on any public body of water.”???

My attitude is generally much the opposite (as I stated.) I move when people come near. Nobody is close to me for long, as I’ll just go somewhere else to catch fish. I fish to get space from people, not to join a rat race competition. I enjoy myself more when there are not crowds. If the crowds come near me, I move. Simple, yet extremely effective!

FryDog62

Worst situation I’ve had was fishing a small metro river – I’m in a boat 15 feet from shore tossing plastics into lay downs. Up the river comes 2 competitor types of canoes doing their “hut-hut” training chants. They cut right in between me and shore and the first guy went right through my line. Fortunately it didn’t hook him but one of the guys in the second canoe said “why don’t you guys fish the other side of the river!”

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Did you ask them why don’t they participate in a real sport?

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

As you troll around the front of my anchored boat, please let me know that you lost your rap in my anchor line. Not only will I give it back to you but I will thank you for letting me know and it will save me from from cutting the hooks of while trying to get it out of my hand.

After saying that, I doubt the people that have done this to me in the past had a clue their bait was in my anchor rope.

What’s amazing to me is that we are all out on the water to enjoy fishing. We all have the same goal. Enjoy the outdoors and feel the tug.

It’s such a great, simple sport…and then it gets complicated.

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

On a similar thread a year or so ago a guy said he kept a muskie rod with a large bucktail to cast at water skiers if they got to close.
    Sad thing is he was serious. doah

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

Worst situation I’ve had was fishing a small metro river – I’m in a boat 15 feet from shore tossing plastics into lay downs. Up the river comes 2 competitor types of canoes doing their “hut-hut” training chants. They cut right in between me and shore and the first guy went right through my line. Fortunately it didn’t hook him but one of the guys in the second canoe said “why don’t you guys fish the other side of the river!”

Had this happen a couple of years ago on pool 2. My brother and I are on a spot and 2 loaded down canoes come between us and shore. I wasn’t paying much attention because my brother was landing a fish. I start to get po’d and say something when my says something like ‘shut the eff up.’ Lo and behold, it’s 2 canoes of fairly attractive girls from some U of M program. My brother, who had just gotten divorced, held up that 14″ walleye like he was some primal fishing god in front of these girls. As they are laughing and having fun with it, they dump one of the canoes and we help hem get loaded back up and all had a pretty good laugh.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

OK…wet fairly attractive girls from some U of M program trump fishing…most days. )

big_g
    Isle, MN

Anyone sit on a spot when it is slow and see a few boats in the distance so you pretend to be hauling fish in to get them to come over and then you leave?

Just wave the net in the air a couple times….. hilarious watching anchors get pulled and they motor right over… then grab the net again and wave it around !!! PRICELESS rotflol rotflol rotflol

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

Just wave the net in the air a couple times….. hilarious watching anchors get pulled and they motor right over… then grab the net again and wave it around !!! PRICELESS
    ——————————————–
    Even better are the guys that take the net out and then try to hide the fish they are catching. I see this all the time on P4. If you are trying to hide what’s in the net we all know it’s a walleye. Conversely, when a net comes out and then get’s slammed down in disgust we all know it a junk fish.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Lol, yeah I love it when they try hiding fish…but then again, if I wasn’t curious, how would I know they are hiding something. coffee

Viewing 30 posts - 31 through 60 (of 63 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.