TO SHOOT OR NOT TO SHOOT

• wkw

I have a 100th anniversary Winchester 30-30 that belonged to my Dad.
    Mom gave it to me when Dad died in 1997.
    It has never been fired. It still has the seal on the lever action.
    What would you do ? Shoot it or leave it on the wall ?

WKW

Attachments:
    1. 2014-11-27-10.17.06.jpg

2. 2014-11-27-10.17.15.jpg

3. 2014-11-27-10.17.25.jpg

4. 2014-11-27-10.18.59.jpg

Palerider77

Looks like a safe queen to me. I have a few guns that I keep for sentimental reasons.

That being said, if you want to shoot it, go ahead. It is yours after all. It may be “worth” more if you never fire it, but monetary value is only important if you plan on selling it.

trumar
    Rochester, Mn

If it had been my dads gun and it had never fired,I would display it as it is and enjoy it that way !

The “value” of the gun being my dads would be higher than any dollar amount that would be place on it.

Being it was your dads gun and now yours,you do what you think is best for you !

JMHO Jeff

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

That looks like beautiful wood on the gun. In my house it would stay. 1966….I’d also be getting an appraisal on the value and checking my insurance. This might be more valuable than you think.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Yeah Wayne, once it’s shot it can’t be unshot.

Unless there was a special occasion the barrel would never see lead if I owned it.

wkw

Thanks for re-confirming my feelings, guys.
    WKW

Everts Fishing Resort
    Inactive
    Hager City WI

My dad would want me to take his grandson out and have fun with it and then put it on the wall!just sayin

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

My dad had one of these…… unshot and in the box. He sold it to put a deer rifle in my hands when I was 13. He doesn’t seem to regret it because he and I both struggle with the idea of a gun that never gets shot. I see some of these special editions and I think, “I’d never shoot that. It’s too pretty!” and then I think, “Why would I invest $1,000 to let something decorate my house?” I mean, I get it….. yet I don’t….. so…… maybe it’s just not for me.

Btw, I know where that gun is today, still in the box and unshot and I had thoughts recently to repurchase it for my dad’s 70th birthday. Without any research, the guy told me it’s worth about $2200 to the right buyer because the box itself is still near mint. I’ve seen them in near mint, shot, on the used racks for around $600, unshot no box, $800 – $1100. It would come down to someone being a collector.

Because my dad never shot it or took it in the field, I’ve recently learned that yes, he liked the gun….. but he has no attachment or longing for it. His old lever action Winchester 94 in .32win means far more to him because of all the stories and memories attached to it.

Mocha
    Park Rapids

I have a 100th anniversary Winchester 30-30 that belonged to my Dad.
    Mom gave it to me when Dad died in 1997.
    It has never been fired. It still has the seal on the lever action.
    What would you do ? Shoot it or leave it on the wall ?

WKW

If you NEVER plan on selling it then shoot and enjoy. If you do plan on selling it or keeping it as an investment then don’t shoot it. How important to your Father was the gun? Was he really into hunting/shooting? How sentimental to you is the gun?

I have a duck stamp collection that my Grandfather started in 1934 and I took it over in the mid 80’s. A lot of people ask me what its worth and I say “priceless” because I will NEVER sell it. It has my family history built into the stamps that have signatures. In all actuality it is quite valuable, 5k-8k+, if I did sell it. My Wife has an old desk from her Mother that is priceless to her but if we sold it we might get $50. Just saying…..

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

I’d be worried about that zip tie discoloring or otherwise damaging the stock. Keep or not, I’d be getting rid of that. It doesn’t prove anything as far as it being unshot.

To me a gun that goes unshot is a concept I don’t understand because it’s that very use that makes them special to the people that used them.

I am VERY fortunate to have guns that are real heirlooms from my Great Grandfather. They are in good condition, but certainly used, but isn’t that the point? The are used because HE used them and then when he was gone, other family members used them. They are special for what they were because of who they meant something to.

Even though I don’t remember being in Great Grandpa’s house (I was 3 when he died), I can see him sitting in his chair with the Remington Model 12. I can see him taking aim out the door, across the hall, and into the parlor (used only for guests) across the hall. A bullet trap is in the fireplace in the parlor and he would target shoot indoors with .22 shorts. I can see him doing this as if I witnessed it myself, it just so fits as something that Edvard would do.

If that Remington Model 12 had been in a box all these years, it would no doubt be worth more money, but I’d be so much the poorer for it.

Grouse

roosterrouster
    Inactive
    The "IGH"...

I’d be worried about that zip tie discoloring or otherwise damaging the stock. Keep or not, I’d be getting rid of that.
    Grouse

Huh?

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

I’ve been thinking about this one for a while. I keep comparing it to a couple of traps I have from my hero in life. Before his passing, he bought a 1/2 dozen #4 dls traps. He completed 5 of the 6 with all the modifications he does. So today, I have the one and only trap he didn’t modify. I put his name tag on it and have it displayed with one of his new modified traps. In part, it tells a story. But in addition to that I retired all his heavily used traps and they will never see another day of use while I’m alive.

So long story short is I would not shoot it. I would take that as frozen token of time and preserve that memory. Just my 2 cents. Regardless of what you do, it represents your time with your dad. Shooting can be equally rewarding and I would respect that as well

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

I agree Grouse 100%. And Roosterrouser, click on the upper right hand picture and you see what’s in question

joe moenck

Normally I would say leave it to your grand kids, but by the looks of the hunting attire for baby clothes it could start a family brawl! Would probably take a good leg wrestling match after a holiday dinner to settle it!!!!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.