Tips for dissecting Leech Lake

• Braids19

Hey friends. Heading up to a buddies cabin on Leech this weekend (his cabin is in Sucker Bay right by Second Duck Point). It’ll be my first time fishing the lake so I have been doing my research on the fishery. Has anyone had success out there lately or around this time in years past? It seems like we’re right in that transition period where switching to bottom bouncers/ Lindy rigs starts to be the most effective way to put walleyes in the boat so that may be the ticket. If anyone has any advice for a Leech Lake first timer, it would be greatly appreciated!

ClownColor
    Inactive
    The Back 40

Nothing wrong with those two points by which you’re staying at. Find the wind, find the walleyes. Always do just fine lindy rigging with a leech all the way until early/mid July.

lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

I agree on the Lindy rigging. We usually switch to crawlers and spinners around the 4th of July. Shad raps can be really good in 19-15 ft. If you are struggling I’d head to the mid lake rocks and see if you can get away from other boats. It seems that Leech has gotten more difficult to fish the last couple years but some guys still do well.

I was up for Opener and will be up again mid July. Good luck, love to hear how you did

luckydave
    Cottage Grove, MN

It’s always good to have minnows on hand for those windy days. A jig and minnow is great to fish on points where the wind is blowing into shore. Shiners are the best bet if they are available. Good luck!

slipbob_nick
    Princeton, MN

Best luck I’ve had up there has been late before dark. Very clear water. If trolling isn’t turning em try a bobber and leech

shefland
    Walker

Best advice, do not be overwhelmed by the size of the lake, weekend only? stay in Sucker, lots of opportunities, otherwise you will be running all over, and as always fish the wind

Jensen

Use Gold spinners.

Braids19

Thanks for the input guys. I ran to cabelas today to stock up on some slow death crawler hooks and gold spinners. I’ll be up there Thursday-Sunday so hopefully I’ll have a nice report for you all.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

That’s a great area to start, and you should be able to find some fish there, Goose Island or Pine Point which are all a short boat ride away. Tough to beat a jig and a minnow up there, and there should still be fish shallow I’d think. In my experience on Leech, you should be able to tell in short order if the fish are deeper with decent electronics. If they are deep, lindy’s, bottom bouncers or lead/rapala’s are a good bet. If they are shallow jig and minnow on weed lines or rocks, or trolling raps over flats/rocks all produce, and everyone says fish the wind blown area’s for reason.

Matt L
    Twin Cities

Fishing on Leech has been great this year. Some fish are still on shallow sand flats if you can find shiner schools. The majority have moved out to deeper water, pulling spinners would be where I start, but if the wind blows, pitch that jig away from the boat!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.