Time to sight in deer rifles. Thoughts from the range.

• TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

I know many on here both fish and hunt and it’s getting to that time of year when it’s time to take out the deer rifles/shotguns and get in some range time. This may involve just verifying everything still shoots where it should, or maybe you’re trying new ammo. Or perhaps it’s more involved and you got anything from a new scope to a whole new rifle or shotgun.

Also, if you have young hunters in your family or friend group (as I do), now’s the time to get the next generation out there and get them some trigger time. IMO, they can never have too much practice, both with smallbore and with the actual gun they will hunt with.

I spent the last weekend working at the gun club I belong to and now that we have public open hours and the hunting season is approaching the benches are getting more crowded. And this year (as with every year) we see many of the same categories of issues as the hunting season approaches.

Here’s my list of common issues and other tips for hunters when making that trip to the range:

– Come prepared! Make sure you have ear protection, eye protection, targets, AND that you have allen keys and screwdrives to make adjustments. Also, remember that in the confined area of a rifle range with a roof and walls to keep the wind out, it can be VERY loud. Earplugs and muffs are often necessary, especially for young and noise-sensitive shooters.

Also, make sure you have the correct magazine with you. We see this one a lot.

– If at all possible, boresight new rifles and new scopes before coming to the range. With ammo costs soaring, it is frustrating and expensive to burn up high-end ammo trying to just get the gun on paper. Yesterday, I had a gentleman who fired one $3.60 shot after another trying to get his slug gun on paper. He was several feet off due to a mis-mounted scope base, but he burned up almost $60 in ammo figuring that out.

Back when I bought my first laser boresight, it was an expensive piece of gear, but they have become more affordable and they look like a bargain these days if you’re shooting expensive ammo.

A final note on boresights, they are NOT like laser gunsights. You can’t bring them to the range and see the little dot 100 yards away in broad daylight. There is a correct procedure to use a boresight and generally, it needs to be done indoors and following a set process.

– Erratic shot placements or a scope that does not “respond” as expected when making adjustments very often indicates loose scope bases or rings. Check everything! We see this on the range ALL THE TIME. Yet when I point it out as a possibility, I often get the “Nah, everything’s fine.” And then 20 minutes and 10 rounds later, they ask for a screwdriver or allen key… Yesterday, I had one red dot optic literally fly off an AR as a father was sighting it in with his daughter and I had another gentleman who fired round after round and made adjustments every which way even though we had gently suggested that he should check his base and rings. You guessed it, it was only until the scope was almost falling off that he finally saw the issue.

Also, a torque screwdriver and Loctite Blue are your best friends when it comes to keeping the scope firmly in place.

– Don’t be afraid to ask for help!

Folks, the reality is that many hunters simply don’t have a lot of experience and broad experience with firearms. Maybe you’re new to hunting–and if that’s the case, welcome!–or maybe this is your first experience with a new rifle or shotgun after many years with Ol’ Faithful. It’s fine, we’re not judging. We like new guns too.

Don’t be embarrassed, just ask the range staff for help or even post a question here. It’s far better to do this than to risk damaging your firearm or, even worse, doing something unsafe.

Saturday, we noticed a hunter struggling to open the bolt on his new rifle. He was getting pretty testy and aggressive with it and the muzzle was starting to swing around wildly as he tried again and again to force the bolt open. When one of our range staff offered to help, he at first declined, but then reconsidered and admitted that this was a brand new rifle and he thought it was defective because the bolt was stuck shut. The rifle was on safe, as it turned out. His other rifle allowed the bolt to be worked on either safe or fire, but this new rifle worked differently.

Handguns, especially autoloaders often have operating quirks that make using one very different from using another. Again, if you’re having problems, keep that muzzle pointed in a safe direction, keep calm, and seek help. Even if this involves simply doing your homework and reading the manual and/or watching some videos.

– Finally, plan ahead, SLOW DOWN, and give yourself enough time and enough ammo! Don’t come to the range to “just fire a few quick shots”. Rushing is never the safe way to do anything and it just leads to frustration, which causes many people to double down on hurrying up.

On average, I would say that it takes 1-2+ hours MINIMUM to properly sight in a new rifle or a new scope and that’s only if the rifle has been boresighted first! If the rifle has not been boresighted, it can be a much longer afternoon. Plan accordingly.

It is impossible to say what the average is for ammo required to sight in a rifle, but IMO it’s foolish to go to the range with anything less than 3 boxes if you’re shooting a new rifle.

And many guys out there believe they can only shoot the big $$$$ ammo that they intend to hunt with, so they try to skimp and take shortcuts. Generally, the POI will not change drastically between ammo types with the same or similar bullet weights. So it’s totally fine to buy some cheaper ammo and then use that to get on paper and near the bullseye. Then you can bring out the high-dollar stuff to get fine-tuned at the very end.

Also, start small. By that, I mean don’t run straight to the 100 or even 200-yard range. Work at 25 or 50 at the most, especially when you’re sighting in something new.

Have a great and safe hunting season.

Riverrat

I hear ya about some hunters not having alot of overall firearm experience. The same applies to LEO’s alot too. Just because its a tool for the job doesn’t mean they are experts. Don’t bring your rifle to a big box store 2 days before opener and have them put on a new scope. They aren’t professional installers and you’ll get what you paid for. They’ll boresite it, but wont torque or lap your scope mounts.

boone
    Woodbury, MN

Great advice. Last year I was bow hunting in Wisconsin shortly before the rifle season opener. I saw a “shooter” that was out of range for a vertical bow. My boy was going to be back from college for the season but his Tikka 270 WIN was on the only rifle in the family. So I bought a Savage 270 from Fleet Farm so my son and I both had rifles. I went to the Oakdale range that afternoon. They bore sighted it at FF and I was hitting the paper and dialing it in but, dang, the POI was moving around. Not consistent. I was puzzled. The range guy suggested a lose rings and a another guy next to me had the needed tools and took the time to help me out. It wasn’t long and I had it dialed in pretty good. It was a factory mounted scope package. I never thought to check the rings to make sure they were tight. I think I might upgrade the scope this fall and I’ll make sure to get everything tightened.

Kind of a funny story… I bought a Benjamin Maurader 22 cal pellet gun and put a Vortex Crossfire rimfire scope on it last year. I could get the POI kind of close but never quit right. If I was hitting 4″ to the left, I’d adjust it now I was high, etc. I was just chasing my tail trying to get that thing dialed in. Eventually I looked at the picture on the scope box and I knew then what was wrong. I had it mounted 90 degrees off. Instead of the turrets being on the left and top, mine were on the top and right. That pellet gun is very accurate now.

Curt

Hmmm, being retired law enforcement I would say most (at least from personal experience) are very well versed in firearms and their proper use. They train on a very regular basis.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Hmmm, being retired law enforcement I would say most (at least from personal experience) are very well versed in firearms and their proper use. They train on a very regular basis.

I cut at alot of police training places and officers are in there daily shooting rounds. Hard to believe the officers are not very well versed to their tool. But the guy above must know more

weedis
    Sauk Rapids, MN

Great advice grouse. I bought a torque set last year due to having loose ring issues. Wasted a few bullets that day, didn’t know what the heck was going on. thought I was a terrible shot and starting to wonder if I should even hit the woods! Luckily I have the ability to shoot out my back door now and have been shooting more frequent through out the year instead of two weeks prior to season, which I was one of those guys at one point.

Jimmy Jones

I’m hitting the club in the morning to finish getting my smokeless muzzy dialed in. Basically I know the charge, just have to shoot a few rounds of each of the two bullets I need to choose from. The gun is as ready as it will ever get but the bullets do differ a bit and I want to see what mid-range groups look like. Mid-range= 25 to 50 to 75 yards. Its dialed on 100 but I need to know which bullet does best at ranges in between.

I seldom see a shot over 30 yards off the stand but have on occasion had shots at around 90 hence the 100 yard zero. I ran around 30 shots thru the gun the last session and was getting a little “punchy” at the end. I’m planning 18 shots tomorrow.

I’ll be shooting the .50 cal inline pistol tomorrow too just to check zero. Love hunting with that sucker.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

The kid and I shoot pretty often so we are pretty well versed with our guns. But I have yet to sight in the savage 220 down to 0. I took a few shots with it and got it dialed in to 75 but want to dial it in a little but more. Luckily we do it at a buddies house and I don’t have to go to the range. Lots of good advise above.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

They bore sighted it at FF and I was hitting the paper and dialing it in but, dang, the POI was moving around. Not consistent. I was puzzled.

bought a torque set last year due to having loose ring issues. Wasted a few bullets that day, didn’t know what the heck was going on. thought I was a terrible shot and starting to wonder if I should even hit the woods!

Thanks for sharing these so everybody can see that this inconsistency and inability to correctly adjust the scope is the classic sign of a loose base or rings.

I can’t tell you how often I’ve seen this. At the gun club on the average Saturday or Sunday it probably happens 5-6 times.

Check everything and use loctite blue on the threads of all screws including the ones that hold the base to the rifle. These are especially important because in many cases to access these base mounting screws should they come loose, you’ll have to remove the entire scope and the rings. Which of course means everything has to be sighted in again.

Don Meier
    Butternut Wisconsin

A buddies friend has a Christiansen Arms 300 Win Mag. Shot it today at 400 and would not group . Took it to a smith verified scope was tracking and it was .Now he is going to buy some 180 gr and 165 to see if they work . He was shooting 200gr figured the weird barrel twist dont like the 200,s . Interesting to see what happens with different loads . Buddy shot his 6.5 PRC dead nuts 400 yards , he let the guy with the non grouping gun shoot the PRC 1/2 inch from his shot .

disco bobber

I have a Leupold 2×7 shotgun scope on my 12 ga 870. I was having trouble getting it sighted in and figured out that it took a shot to move the crosshairs. Now I bump the stock on the bench and tap on the scope near the adjustment knobs after I make an adjustment. I have also shot a round of cheap birdshot through it after an adjustment. This apparently does happen on some scopes.

hop307
    Northern Todd County

A buddies friend has a Christiansen Arms 300 Win Mag. Shot it today at 400 and would not group . Took it to a smith verified scope was tracking and it was .Now he is going to buy some 180 gr and 165 to see if they work . He was shooting 200gr figured the weird barrel twist dont like the 200,s . Interesting to see what happens with different loads . Buddy shot his 6.5 PRC dead nuts 400 yards , he let the guy with the non grouping gun shoot the PRC 1/2 inch from his shot .

My Browning 30-06 is temperamental with bullet weight, it does not group at all with 150gr or with a freshly cleaned barrel. It shoots the best with 180gr only after a few shots to “fowl” the barrel, so I usually shoot a few 150gr for that then my groups tighten up to where I can keep them with in a quarter size at 100yds.

Jimmy Jones

The target with the single hole in the black is from my .50 cal Optima pistol. 225 grain, .429 cal Barnes XPB bullet, 50 yards.

The other target is with the smokeless muzzle at 100 yards, wind right to left. On the top left target dot, two shots using 195 grain Barnes .400, Expanders. The shot just below was from another trip and from a 200 grain, .40 cal XTP. In the black are three dots using .40 Fury 225 grain Star Tips. The hole high right of the black was from a previous trip.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_1459-1-scaled.jpeg

2. IMG_1459-scaled.jpeg

3. IMG_1460-1-scaled.jpeg

isu22andy

Christiansens have a history of being finicky if you read enough out west hunting pages . That said – I’ve seen a lot of people think they are American sniper shoot a table sized group at 400 yards . Obviously your buddy proved he could shoot though !

Nice Fella

I have a Leupold 2×7 shotgun scope on my 12 ga 870. I was having trouble getting it sighted in and figured out that it took a shot to move the crosshairs. Now I bump the stock on the bench and tap on the scope near the adjustment knobs after I make an adjustment. I have also shot a round of cheap birdshot through it after an adjustment. This apparently does happen on some scopes.

I, too, have heard of this tap the scope technique. It can cause a lot of bother sometimes if you don’t. Depends on the scope of course, but something to keep in mind.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.