Time for new fridge

• Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Holy crap, post worked on first try – WOW

btyreprich
    Rhinelander, WI

Full disclosure – I work at a big box hardware store in the appliance department. Have been selling appliances now for about 5 years. If you stay with a well know brand, you are going to be better off in terms of service work. Always ask the sales rep or verify that the brand you are going with has qualified technicians in your area.
    We just had to replace a GE refrigerator as the compressor went out after only 3 years time! We decided to just go with an LG model as I myself rarely hear complaints from my customers about this brand.
    To be sure, all brands will have their issues – what you need to be sure of is that in home tech support is available.
    Just my two cents.

Musky Ed

Zero support for LG in my area, even from the places that sell them.

CaptainMusky

I was told that whatever you do, do NOT get a fridge with the freezer on the bottom.

CaptainMusky

We got a new Whirlpool last year, and I had some serious sticker shock while shopping. Thankfully, we went to Warners Stellian and found last years floor model that had everything we wanted for $2k-5k less than the latest and greatest which were $10k+!

10k just for a fridge? Holy crap! I would resort to using coolers and ice before paying that for a fridge. I got a new whirlpool a couple years ago and it was under 2k.

Deuces

A wine fridge on a project my guys may or may not have accidently bodyslammed was over 12k….for wine doah

R Petersen

Companies are now hiring production cost reduction C P A. Instead of engineers. Why ? Because they claim to reduce costs & increase profits.
    Just what management wants to hear. YEEEHAWWWW

Baitwaster
    South metro

I was told that whatever you do, do NOT get a fridge with the freezer on the bottom.

Can you elaborate why?

jimmysiewert

Oh the horror story’s with my LG appliances and service. I would not give them a penny for their products ever again even if my life depended on it! Literally the best day of my life was when I yanked every one of the non-working pieces of crap out of my house and threw them on the burn pile!

Pat K
    Empire, MN

3 of the 4 fridges we’ve had in 3 houses over 46 years have the freezer on the bottom. We never had a problem with any of them.

CaptainMusky

Can you elaborate why?

I was at an appliance recycling place where they repair some of the units and then resell them. I was looking for a garage fridge and saw a nice stainless unit with the freezer on the bottom and the gal said dont get those, they dont last long but didnt really elaborate. I will say that most of the units were selling had the freezer on the bottom if that means anything.

sandbar
    Woodbury, MN

Have an LG I bought 4 years ago. Very happy with It.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Well damn, came home tonight and my fridge is not cooling nor is my freezer. Now the lady thinks we should re vamp all the appliances instead of buying a new fridge. Any one have any leads on where good deals are for a kitchen package ? Black Friday maybe ?

MX1825

BC this wasn’t planned by your lady maybe. whistling
    Maybe she just unplugged it? whistling

Ah just funnin with ya. rotflol

Baitwaster
    South metro

Well damn, came home tonight and my fridge is not cooling nor is my freezer. Now the lady thinks we should re vamp all the appliances instead of buying a new fridge. Any one have any leads on where good deals are for a kitchen package ? Black Friday maybe ?

Careful BC! –

A former coworker of mine had the same thing happen years ago – cost him $30k for a new kitchen!

I myself was thinking to wait to see what black Friday brings for sales…

Pat K
    Empire, MN

A couple years ago we found out it was cheaper to buy a 4 piece suite rather than getting just a fridge and stove. We ended up buying at Warner-Stellian because they let us up grade the dishwasher where other stores you had to buy their package with no substitutions to get the better deal.
    Black Friday should have some good deals if you can survive without a fridge that long.

Netguy
    Minnetonka

BC, with the cost of new fridge these days you may want to look into getting it repaired. A few years ago the freezer was no longer freezing. I am lucky to have an appliance repair man in the neighborhood. He said one of the heating elements (for frost free) broke. He said should replace both since the 2nd one usually goes soon after. I think the repair was $160 and has been fine since.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Sat in the tree stand this morning and priced out packages. Not very excited to buy any of them.

Musky Ed

Whirlpool 27+ sq ft great interior layout. Looked at ones up to 4k, just paying more for fluff.
    Spend any more you are just getting fluff.
    Try your small town appliance places, they don’t have the overhead of big cities.

Attachments:
    1. 20231031_161114.jpg

2. 20231105_102726.jpg

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Just ordered 5k worth of new appliances. Ouch. Wasn’t trying to do that. But they were all in stock and will be here Wednesday. Home depot black Friday, we picked each piece and put them all together. Went with whirlpool. Bosch was almost double the cost.
    Bought a gas range, over the range microwave, new dishwasher, and fridge. Being a adult sucks. I have so many other things I could spend 5k on.

Snake ii’s

Full disclosure – I work at a big box hardware store in the appliance department. Have been selling appliances now for about 5 years. If you stay with a well know brand, you are going to be better off in terms of service work. Always ask the sales rep or verify that the brand you are going with has qualified technicians in your area.
    We just had to replace a GE refrigerator as the compressor went out after only 3 years time! We decided to just go with an LG model as I myself rarely hear complaints from my customers about this brand.
    To be sure, all brands will have their issues – what you need to be sure of is that in home tech support is available.
    Just my two cents.

Must be an LG rep. Your experience is not typical, nor real. Everyone I’ve encountered that has LG or Samsung has the opposite perspective. Their tech supoort was the WORST. My wife was on hold for HOURS and still got the run around. The service “vendors” explained that they are junk. Several service vendors we contacted wouldn’t even touch one under warranty due to the issues they have had getting reimbursed.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

A wine fridge on a project my guys may or may not have accidently bodyslammed was over 12k….for wine doah

Just so you know, I’m not bitter about you dropping my wine fridge. I do wish you wouldn’t continue to call it a wine fridge, however when it’s really a vinticultural storage system.

I mean it would be crazy to pay 12K for a wine fridge.

Reef W

Must be an LG rep. Your experience is not typical, nor real. Everyone I’ve encountered that has LG or Samsung has the opposite perspective. Their tech supoort was the WORST. My wife was on hold for HOURS and still got the run around.

I wonder if I’m a rep and don’t even know it shock

Only thing of ours that needed service was dishwasher started making noise after about 5 years. Put the info in online, picked an appointment date, and somebody came and fixed it.

Pat K
    Empire, MN

I tried to quote Reef Whooligan but that took me down an endless rabbit hole….

We have an LG washer & dryer. In 13 years the only service needed was a temp gauge on the dryer that had to be replaced in the first few months we owned it. We made one call to get someone out, they diagnosed the problem then came back the next day with the part to fix it. Was pretty simple.

Baitwaster
    South metro

I also have an LG washer and dryer – must be 6-7 years now, no problem with either.

Think we looked at the same unit as Ed has pictured above for the fridge…

Viewing 25 posts - 31 through 55 (of 55 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.