Ticks?

• Bassn Dan

Going to be helping an org clear brush from some grasslands this weekend.

Are the ticks still active with this unusually warm fall?

Thanks.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

I had one attached last week up in northern Minnesota. Not sure what these next 2 nights of below 30 are going to do to them though.

Pat K
    Empire, MN

Putting up deer stands near Bemidji last weekend I got 2 on me.

haleysgold
    SE MN

Ticks are still out for sure. Especially this year being warm and dry.

The vet said they had pets come in all winter long last year with ticks on them.

The deer still have them and some have a lot!

You’ll be in prime tick habitat so be sure to do a tick check and use permethrin spray!

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Unless it’s below freezing while you are out in the fall they can function.

Youbetcha
    Anoka County

Spray your outer layer with permethrin and youll be good to go!

stevenoak

Spray your outer layer with permethrin and youll be good to go!

<div class=”ido-oembed-wrap”><iframe loading=”lazy” title=”Sawyer Products SP657 Premium Permethrin Insect Repellent for Clothing, Gear & Tents, Trigger Spray, 24-Ounce” type=”text/html” width=”850″ height=”550″ frameborder=”0″ allowfullscreen=”” style=”max-width:100%” src=”https://read.amazon.com/kp/card?preview=inline&linkCode=kpd&ref_=k4w_oembed_YKAMeDTwLDdcOI&asin=B001ANQVYU&tag=kpembed-20″></iframe></div&gt;

THIS! I’ve seen ticks active with snow on the ground. Multiple layers of close make it harder for them to get to your skin. And they do move slower.
    Just lost a good friend. He had ongoing complications. After being misdiagnosed with a case of Lymes disease for over a year. Permethrin is good for multiple washings of clothes. Deet is good for single day use.

FryDog62

Son got Lyme disease from a tick on a cold October day near Duluth. Three year’s later his life is still ruined. Yep, they’re still around ~

Bassn Dan

Thanks guys. Looks like I’ll need to spray myself in Deet before I go. Thanks for the info on permethrin – I’ll look into that for the future.

stevenoak

Had a buddy catch it a mile from where I deer hunt. Worries me more than Covid. I know a few people with bad lingering effects. One problem, it’s so often misdiagnosed till after affects are permanent.

KPE
    River Falls, WI

Permethrin works wonders, a lot better than DEET in my experience.

FryDog62

Had a buddy catch it a mile from where I deer hunt. Worries me more than Covid. I know a few people with bad lingering effects. One problem, it’s so often misdiagnosed till after affects are permanent.

Suicide rate for those with long-term Lyme is approx 1 in 3 if that tells you anything. Its a nightmare..

stevenoak

Permethrin works wonders, a lot better than DEET in my experience.

Agreed. But Perethrin involves spraying clothes prior and allowing them to dry. I have specific clothes for that. I also carry Deet for a quick shot, when I have an exposure I wasn’t planning. Usually when I’m fishing. If I’m going to the woods, I wear the treated cloths.

haleysgold
    SE MN

Well not really.

I spray my clothes, it stinks and it’s dry in 2 minutes.
    Good to go.

Seriously, DEET is ok but Permethrin kills!

stevenoak

Doing a little reading. Looks like Sawyer has been reformulated. My old bottle specified to let garment dry for 4 to 6 hours. Not to spray on bare skin. Now it looks like your skin will neutralize it. Can spray it on dogs fur. Contents say it’s only 5% Perethrin and made with natural ingredients. Chrysanthemum flower extract being key ingredient. My guess their lawyers have been talking to them.

Bassn Dan

Most of my time in the woods is in the spring and summer, so glad I asked people people with REAL world experience – vs. the “experts” that have articles on the net saying “April thru August are the tick months…”

I’ve had my best results with DEET using the Repel 40% DEET formula – which is higher than the usual 25% recommended concentration, but I’ve had a couple ticks sneak past the 25% in wet conditions. The 40% adds some extra protection for going through wet brush and I’ve never had a tick while using it.

Thanks again for the info.

LabDaddy1

I’ve been talking about this quite a bit on the grouse opener thread in the upland game forum on the hunting side. I’m near markville mn where I grouse hunt and the last two weekends I’ve pulled 150-250 off my dog each weekend, not to mention 8-12 off myself. All deer ticks, mostly seedling/nymphs. Scary stuff.

Like others have said definitely wear permethrin on your clothing— NOT on your skin. It helps. Also if you have a dog with you, make sure they have tick medication in them and are up on their Lyme vaccine. Check check and check some more, both you and the dog. Pull them off carefully and ASAP. Good luck

haleysgold
    SE MN

Like others have said definitely wear permethrin on your clothing— NOT on your skin.

Lab – not sure that’s valid anymore. I have started using it on my skin too and spray the dog’s legs and belly.
    Permethrin is actually used to treat scabies and lice. So you can shampoo with it.
    I know, either of those might be worse than the side effects of permethrin but Lymes can be deadly too. Oh and there are now no less then 2 other diseases carried by ticks that are even worse than lymes. I’ll keep them little bassturds off myself and pooch any way I can.

Google permethrin. Pay attention to the article dates as there are a lot of older ones that are no longer true.

3rdtryguy
    Central Mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>stevenoak wrote:</div>

Suicide rate for those with long-term Lyme is approx 1 in 3 if that tells you anything. Its a nightmare..

sounds awfully high. Your source?

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.