Tick control

• sticker
    StillwaterMN/Ottertail county

Last year off recommendations for some of you here I switched to the Soresto tick collar and was very pleased with it. Question is when(time of year) do you put the collar on?

Opie
    Coon Rapids, MN

We have used them the last couple of years on our two dogs with good success. Depending on the weather, usually put them on the pups first week in April and go through November.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

They are spendy but hearing they work makes me want to try one this year. We only have tick problems on weekends at our cabin so maybe my dogs can just wear them when we are there? Do you guys still use frontline when using these collars?

IceNEyes1986
    Harris, MN

I’ve been using the Soresto collar for a couple years now and won’t go back! They work great!

They are spendy but hearing they work makes me want to try one this year. We only have tick problems on weekends at our cabin so maybe my dogs can just wear them when we are there? Do you guys still use frontline when using these collars?

No, I don;t use frontline with it..

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

We only have tick problems on weekends at our cabin so maybe my dogs can just wear them when we are there?

Nope.

The collar should be worn continuously for the 8-month protection period.

Seresto Product Label

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I want to try it but at the same time I dont want poison on my hands or face when I come in contact with my dog and her collar. We’ll see.

sticker

I just started using one last year when frontline was more of an attractant for our dog than anything. I was astonished at the results. She roams our 11 acres in the country daily and use to get a lot of ticks. I have contact with my dog very often (whether I like it or not grin ) and I had no ill affects from the collar.

AUTO_5
    Inactive
    Mendota Heights, MN

This is an interesting thread. I got my first pup(black lab F) last April, and we used pet armor topical, applied to the skin between shoulder blades, all summer. She still ended up with at least a half dozen ticks on her, with some burrowed in good. She even got the big red bullseye on one on her belly and now the vets told us they think she has lymes disease(now being treated with antibiotics). So I’m thinking the collar would be a better option. Any of you guys have experience with the pet armor brand, specifically? Thanks!

Attachments:
    1. IMG_2099.jpg

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

For topical, I had great luck with K9 Advantix. It worked wonders for us. I use Bravecto (oral tablet once every 12 weeks) on our current dog, and I am very pleased with it.

I’m sure Seresto works well, too, but I don’t want to deal with a collar.

Reef W

For those who use Bravecto or Nexgard (or other chewables) do you find ticks on your dog? How often are they getting into the house? I have always used Vectra3d, which is a topical with permethrin and actually repels ticks in addition to killing them, and it’s been extremely rare that I find a tick on the dog. Sometimes I have seen them crawling around in the fur immediately after being in the woods but I don’t recall ever finding one that made it home and into the house on the dog.

This year I’m thinking of trying Bravecto but, since the tick has to bite to be killed, I’m wondering how much longer the ticks can be expected to stay on.

Mookie Blaylock
    Wright County, MN

I use Bravecto on my dogs, I do find some ticks in the house. Maybe 5 a year for two dogs. They pick a bunch up when we bring them to the farm around 10 times per tick season.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Reef, we used it last year. I think I found 2-3 ticks on him. One had “bitten” him but was dead (as in it was just clamped on, not buried). The other one or two were just crawling on his fur.

Permethrin does rule the roost (K9 Advantix uses it, too), but I got really sick of the oily streak. Every time I put it on our last dog, he’d rub against the couch and carpet and spread that crap all over!

sticker

For those of you using the Seresto collar petsuppliesnet.com has them for $40 for a large dog. That’s about 12-15 bucks cheaper than anywhere else I have found. Good price on heartgard plus also, $31.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.