This weeks perch show

• James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

I never said that a specific location was given during the “spot on spot” segment of the perch show. If you watch the first 5 minutes of the episode, IDO gives up the exact state and city where there at.

I shared where Dave was from. I did NOT share anything specific about the “pool” being fished. You assume so much…

Pailofperch
    Central Mn North of the smiley water tower

James, while your on here, its cool to see another grown man get goofy over a slob perch. Loved the show.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Dave Koonce wrote:</div>
    Mudshark,
    Nope.. my baby is not for sale

I didn’t think so Dave…. grin
    Do you remember just 10yrs or so ago Perch like these were almost unknown on the river?

Was wondering the same. Big perch seem to be near red wing now to. Even started to catch some on the croix this last summer. Have never even caught a small one on pool 2.

Is this just a perch boom now?

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

James, while your on here, its cool to see another grown man get goofy over a slob perch. Loved the show.

I have a soft spot in my heart for those giant slough tigers!

404 ERROR
    MN

until you become a local and understand the history with this bite

I know this bite very, very well and have no quarrels with their activity or how they portrayed it. Watch out, some of the easy to access areas may get some more activity…Some of the areas around Winona were stacked with people this weekend, yet not many were catching fish. The VAST majority of people with knowledge of this area/bite know that it’s not easy to find productive areas, let alone access to them.

Might look into a new product on the market…

Attachments:
    1. 25ufyk.jpg

troutbum
    St. Paul

It’s a judgement call really. I know they sometimes omit the name or body of water, example the first episode of the season on <strong class=”ido-tag-strong”>panfish in michigan.

I mean how many hovercraft are even registered?

Ive seen quite a few fan boats this year.

404 ERROR
    MN

couple drift socks out both sides drifting down sideways with 200 lines out, make short work of those perch

You know, if we all worked together and used some planer boards, we may even be able to get 50 more people on board…

We just need to make sure our ballast tanks are empty, we’ll be drifting some shallow water.

rackshack73

Great show, I don’t think you guys compromised that bite one bit. Great fishery. What did P.J have tied to his line above the bait? It look like a red plastic.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

I believe that would be one of the triggers for the ifishpro. Only red piece of plastic that I can think of that would be above his bait.

yahbuddy
    Holmen, WI

You could have a show with a great sea perch bite on the Pacific ocean and there would still be guys pissing and moaning about exploiting it. The ever changing technology of ice fishing will change a body of water more than a fishing show ever will. Thanks guys for another great show!

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

Great show, and thank you for not being specific with your “Spot on the Spot” segments. Unique shows like these are far and away the best.

If someone claims you are putting people directly on fish with the general information you gave, they haven’t fished the backwaters from P4 and South. It isn’t like a metro pond in this area. There are thousands of untouched acres of water with fish that will never see a lure in their lifetime. Just the other day I stumbled across a 15’ hole on a backwater flat with minimal current while exploring. I’ve never been that far from an access in the area (3+ miles), and was rewarded with some great fishing.

Some of the less remote community holes do get exploited by the locals during the Spring perch run. That falls 100% on them though, not someone promoting remote trophy perch fishing.

riedelpa

This was one of the best shows I had the pleasure of watching. I love watching a good jumbo perch bite. I look forward to your next show. Keep up the great work guys.

db035970

Hello Dave,
    Nice show…..where did you purchase the hovercraft? Any details you can share would be much appreciated. I am looking at an airboat or a hovercraft…
    don

riverruns
    Inactive

There was a small lake in the middle of nowhere in n mn that kicked out lots of 14-17 inch crappies. Very very tough to get to by land. Word got out to the wrong people and it got fished out by guys flying in and landing on the ice with planes. Point being is just because you need a hover craft or airboat to get to a spot doesn’t mean it is safe from pressure. Folks will go to great lengths to catch trophies.

I have fished a little dynamite spot for years and never saw a soul fishing there. A well known fishing show caught wind of the bite from a random local and did a show there and it’ll never be the same. Anyone from the area with some brains could figure out where they were fishing based on the footage. Fortunately IDO is a little more discrete when it comes to keying in on an exact location. You’d be an idiot not to.

There will be guys searching for these spots on the sippi. Many waterfowlers and fisherman who spend a lot of time on the river could probably pick out the spot based on the background. Some will find it eventually.

I enjoyed the show. Going on a giant perch hunt myself to a little known spot in a couple weeks. Don’t bother asking where. )

And there is truth too this. toast

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>sheppy wrote:</div>
    I never said that a specific location was given during the “spot on spot” segment of the perch show. If you watch the first 5 minutes of the episode, IDO gives up the exact state and city where there at.

I shared where Dave was from. I did NOT share anything specific about the “pool” being fished. You assume so much…

Some folks either assume too much or don’t listen or read with any comprehension. But that’s OK, those same folks will be looking in the wrong spot.

youngfry
    Northeast Iowa

If you think giant perch were a secret on the Mississippi… go to any float by the dams in the next month and watch the parade perch walk off. Or the floatilla of boats that looks like the English channel on D-Day. But yeah… James and Dave accessing a remote location where 98% of fisherman will never get is what will ruin it…

Nice show fellas. applause

philtickelson
    Inactive
    Mahtomedi, MN

In my experience, the locals that live in SE MN and SW WI do a plenty good job exploiting the resource without any help from any city folk.

Steve Hix
    Dysart, Iowa

In my experience, the locals that live in SE MN and SW WI do a plenty good job exploiting the resource without any help from any city folk.

“Those Bastttarrds”

Mudshark
    LaCrosse WI

Pretty generalized statement there phil……..I could say the same thing about some of locals in northern MN…..or just about everywhere where somebody fishes..
    I don’t diss you guys…why do you feel the need to diss us?

Tuma
    Inactive
    Farmington, MN

Great show. I understand how one may get a little butt hurt if they feel their secret was out. But most of us on IDO have talked about this in past threads. It just wasn’t in a show, but was all over the internet before the show.
    Is this the emoji for butt hurt??? moon

Tuma
    Inactive
    Farmington, MN

BTW if you know a location so well you can tell where they caught their fish just by looking at the background you better start yelling at everyone who post pictures on Fbook. I have found many nice spots just by that.

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

Hello Dave,
    Nice show…..where did you purchase the hovercraft? Any details you can share would be much appreciated. I am looking at an airboat or a hovercraft…
    don

Great place to start is on Craigs List…there are several on there throughout the year!!!

Tim Watson

James, what were the TUCR types you were using? Wanting to add to my collection. Looked like a combo of split grip and regular handles. Thanks.

tomr
    cottage grove, mn

I really enjoyed the show also. Without seeing it I would never have believed there were that big of perch in the Mississippi. While intrigued about catching a perch that size, never fished that area and doubt I ever will so the fishery is safe at least from me.

Kurt Turner
    Kasson, MN

IDO crew rocks, once again!

Gary Will

Here is my take.
    I have been looking at pictures of big Miss.River perch and posts on various websites for 7-8 years. Certainly hasn’t been any secret.
    Finally retired so decided time to get my butt up there. First trip caught 30 or so perch first day- kept my legal 25. 13 inches largest many more from 11-12.5 I texted my wife that I died and went to perch heaven. Stayed at trailer in Buffalo co. Next day(Jan.10) Went back to same spot. Caught about 15 same size-basically all big. After several hours left and went to scope out another spot about 8 miles away. Caught another 15 or so big perch. Never fished or had ever seen either spot. Text my wife and said I think I died and went to perch heaven. I go back a week later with my son and his friend. We catch 70 or so perch. Biggest 13.5-Many from 11-13. Wow are you kidding me. Why the hell go to North Dakota. I caught all fish on plastic- I don’t ever ice fish with bait. In summary- go fish and be careful-that river scares me. I have been studying my Garmin maps for a month or so sitting in my easy chair and have many more potential areas picked out. Take care and good fishing.

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

Thought this was interesting and related to the discussion here.

http://www.outdoornews.com/2018/03/12/mississippi-river-becoming-go-perch-destination-minnesota-anglers/

Well now we know for sure it’s not quite the secret that some made it out to be. I was surprised that some accused the IDO TV show of potentially ruining the fishery by filming one show “somewhere” on the river.

This quip from the article caught my attention. “Anglers and biologists agree that while perch have boomed, the river’s saugers – and to a lesser degree bluegills and crappies – have declined.”

I do not fish the river so this has less meaning for me. Curious though…for those that do fish the river, are you dissapointed that sauger have declined as result? Or is this emerging (jumbo) perch fishery more desirable than saugers?

targaman
    Inactive
    Wilton, WI

If people don’t know about the perch on the river they’re either living under a rock or brain dead. You see it all over the internet. What’s it been now 8-9 years? Riverruns I think your internet must really be down.

Mike Martine
    Inactive
    la crosse wis

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>BigWerm wrote:</div>
    Thought this was interesting and related to the discussion here.

http://www.outdoornews.com/2018/03/12/mississippi-river-becoming-go-perch-destination-minnesota-anglers/

Well now we know for sure it’s not quite the secret that some made it out to be. I was surprised that some accused the IDO TV show of potentially ruining the fishery by filming one show “somewhere” on the river.

This quip from the article caught my attention. “Anglers and biologists agree that while perch have boomed, the river’s saugers – and to a lesser degree bluegills and crappies – have declined.”

I do not fish the river so this has less meaning for me. Curious though…for those that do fish the river, are you dissapointed that sauger have declined as result? Or is this emerging (jumbo) perch fishery more desirable than saugers?

I can’t really speak about the sauger population , but the bluegill and crappie population seems to be as strong as ever .

Viewing 30 posts - 31 through 60 (of 61 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.