This recent weather has sucked,

• Jimmy Jones

so I’ve hidden in the shop and played with a 1.75″ minnow mold I haven’t used in a while. There are days when this bait just simply shines and while going thru the crappie bait bucket I noticed that these were in short supply so I spent some time getting these colors, along with my go-to purple with chartreuse tails and junebug with chartreuse tails, back in decent numbers. All of these bait colors were found at Keitech’s color plate, maybe with some of my own twists.

What some might find interesting is that all of these baits will be stored in the nice little Gulp jars that the 1″ Gulp minnows arrive in. I stack them in the jars nose first. When the jar is full, not packed full, I fill it with fresh Gulp Minnow scent liquid. I do the same with a couple other panfish sized baits too. I one adheres to the fact that these baits are made a petroleum based a product and probably cannot absorb any of the scent, I have been doing this for about 8 years now and can say that, yes, the Gulp bath has made a difference in spite that probability.

The rain has put Lake Zumbro well up over the no wake status. The upper lake nearer Fishermans landing has been dirty for a month, but noticeably clearer water was noted as one ventured towards the hibanks and beyond. I’ll be giving the lake some time to settle a bit, head out next week some time. There have been crappies to catch but we’ve found the bite to be scattered. The lake was just getting “normal” when all this rain crap came about but then this Minnesota and nothing is normal here anymore so we have to just take it as we see it. After all, the season is upon us.

Attachments:
    1. 346486545_926452051957786_8634604116979704319_n-1.jpg

2. 346486545_926452051957786_8634604116979704319_n.jpg

tim hurley

Love the attention to detail.
    Still someone once said I overthink this panfish stuff, hmmmm.

Spoon Minnow

My Fin-S Fish lures still do well after all these decades. Nice when a lure can be counted on no matter the conditions. What size jig and jig hook do you rig those on?

On a weather note, we had torrential rains that overfilled our waters but all have come down to normal levels after zero precip in the last few weeks. High winds of 30mph have driven me off the lake or kept me at home creating new soft plastic modifications (Frankenstein lures if you will). But when the wind wasn’t a factor, the catches were incredible while the water was high and vegetation just starting to grow. 80 to +100 fish days were common, partner or no partner. At least the weather will moderate starting today. (Course 30 degrees last night was not welcome!)

Frank

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.