Thinning the heard.

• FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

I’d have to brush up for you to quote me. But

Nothing after dark. It might be possible to use shotgun with shot but I really don’t think so.
    I’m actually starting to wonder if that is night only or if shooting a slug at a yote is illegal during the day. Nothing surprises me with the dnr around firearm season. Though I know not enforced.

Can’t use rifles during firearm, least in Southern zone.

Oh, don’t forget special cwd hunts… those are firearm seasons too.

The dnr pretty much makes anything thermal or night vision related illegal to leave the house with it.
    ^^^firearm season^^^

Outside of firearm seasons sky is the limit more or less.

One common mistake people make any other time of year is red light is only legal if used in conjuction with shotgun and shot. No rifles at all with a red light. Otherwise you can kill em with any gun caliber whatever at anytime with no licenses, no hunter certification, thermal, night vision, just not from the window of your vehicle.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Tougher to believe gim that you’d let a coyote walk but want to kill the cat ? What’s up with that ?

Feral cats aren’t native predators. Coyotes are. Plus coyotes frequently hunt stray kitties.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Bearcat89 wrote:</div>
    Tougher to believe gim that you’d let a coyote walk but want to kill the cat ? What’s up with that ?

Feral cats aren’t native predators. Coyotes are. Plus coyotes frequently hunt stray kitties.

I don’t care if yotes kill cats. Just didn’t agree with shooting the cat over the mutt. Kill them both at least. That coyote will ruin your chance at the trophy buck, that cat won’t.

isu22andy

Best time to call them in is when the crops first get out . Not sure on MN gun laws, but the pups are out on their own and or havent heard a rabbit call or been educated by a bunch of people taking pop shots at them . I usually run a standard of 3-5 minutes of distress, pausing intermittedly . Then a 5 minute break, if coyote shows up in the distance during the break , turn the sound down and hit them with some calls again. If not wait…. then finally always a pup distress or coyote fight at the end. I usually run that one without pauses. 3-5 minutes. Im not good with vocals, have had some limited luck but Im sure theres a better caller than me .

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Best time to call them in is when the crops first get out . Not sure on MN gun laws, but the pups are out on their own and or havent heard a rabbit call or been educated by a bunch of people taking pop shots at them . I usually run a standard of 3-5 minutes of distress, pausing intermittedly . Then a 5 minute break, if coyote shows up in the distance during the break , turn the sound down and hit them with some calls again. If not wait…. then finally always a pup distress or coyote fight at the end. I usually run that one without pauses. 3-5 minutes. Im not good with vocals, have had some limited luck but Im sure theres a better caller than me .

Thanks buddy I appreciate the input, especially being a successful hunter obviously. Pretty interesting stuff. What do you do with all those dead coyotes ?

isu22andy

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>isu22andy wrote:</div>

Thanks buddy I appreciate the input, especially being a successful hunter obviously. Pretty interesting stuff. What do you do with all those dead coyotes ?

At the time I was really trapping and calling hard, I was selling the coyotes whole for 20-40 / per head un skinned. Canada Goose coat comapany (Check them out at scheels ) Were selling these coats for big big money with natural goose down and fur. I believe like 800 bucks a coat. Of course that only lasted a year or two and the antis ruined it and the market crashed. Still sold them after that but you were lucky for 5-10 a yote.

I trapped a beaver bounty last year that paid 25 a beaver. I trapped 16 beavers out of that ditch in about 5-6 days. Enjoyed every minute of it and got paid to do it . Farmer gave me whiskey too!

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Look up Rick Nelson on Facebook. He also runs Cats on the Croix. He always seems to be looking for his next pasture poodle to drop. Has some fantastic night footage on his page.

Small world. Rick Nelson is my good buddies buddy. We have fished together multiple times, he will be making a visit this week.

Viewing 7 posts - 31 through 37 (of 37 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.