Thermostat Battle

• Sharon
    SE Metro

We have about 16 people in my office and it seems there’s a never-ending battle of the thermostats. Some want it cooler, some not so much, and it’s been going on since we’ve moved to our new office. I’m willing to admit I prefer the office on the cooler side much like most of the men in the office. But when I was asked if I knew who keeps turning the thermostat down I simply replied that I hadn’t noticed any temperature changes. (See what I did there, no self-incrimination on my part!). Anywho yes I am one of the few office employees who keeps turning the thermostat down because IT’s HOT IN HERE! There’s nothing wrong with 72 degrees. I may sound like an old grump, but maybe if the ladies who are complaining that they’re freezing would put on real clothes – not these sleeveless blouses with capri length yoga pants – then maybe there’s potential we could reach a happy medium. But until then, the battle is on ladies! BTW, my Galileo thermometer says it’s about 76 in here… coffee

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Digital thermometer.

It is amazing how you “feel hot” or “feel cold” when the temperature is not fluctuating.

I settled that one in an office years back.

The current office I’m in has a digital Readout by every thermostat.

The sitters get cold and the active ones get hot.

Sharon
    SE Metro

LOL, love that Family Guy clip! rotflol

Sharon
    SE Metro

It is amazing how you “feel hot” or “feel cold” when the temperature is not fluctuating.

The sitters get cold and the active ones get hot.

You said it! Some times it feels cooler to some people and the thermostat settings haven’t even changed! I’m a mover, so unfortunately I think I’ll always be a tad too warm. Plus, I dress more modestly than many of the other office ladies. I have too many tattoos to don sleeveless blouses at the office.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

$15.00 solution. A guy I worked for many years ago made the claim that a cold office is a busy office. Thermostat was locked at 71 and if you tampered with it, your fired. In the 3 years I worked with him, we never had an issue

Attachments:
    1. 41-QPrmhPL._AC_SY400_.jpg

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Years ago after a month or two from working out i was freaking warm everywhere I went. Worked out real good ice fishing, but everywhere else kinda sucked. The metabolism was cranking along, maybe all that gym time has gotten your insides toasty?

Start cutting out the gym, or cutting off some sleeves grin

Aren’t most offices becoming tattoo tolerant nowadays? Show off the guns I say!

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

You need a fake thermostat mounted in a open area, and the real one stashed behind a plant or something. Give the kids something to play with.

S.R.

Sharon
    SE Metro

The metabolism was cranking along, maybe all that gym time has gotten your insides toasty?
    Start cutting out the gym, or cutting off some sleeves
    Aren’t most offices becoming tattoo tolerant nowadays? Show off the guns I say!

It’s possible. It feels good to get back to the gym though after helping Fritz with his recovery. I guess I could wear short sleeves… Gasp at the thought! I usually wear 3/4 length cardigans.

Sharon
    SE Metro

You need a fake thermostat mounted in a open area, and the real one stashed behind a plant or something. Give the kids something to play with.

S.R.

That’s not a bad idea! rotflol

But the trouble with decoys and locks is that we all have to agree on what temp to set it. I guess the building owners have the ultimate say.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

! I usually wear 3/4 length cardigans.

I take back what I said.

Stop dressing like a grandma Sharon jester

Sharon
    SE Metro

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Sharon M wrote:</div>
    ! I usually wear 3/4 length cardigans.

I take back what I said.

Stop dressing like a grandma Sharon jester

jester jester
    But, but the sun. It’s going to get me!

saddletramp

Back in the early 70s,I worked at a Ford dealership, and the owner was cheap! The shop stat was by the back door, in a locked cage. One of the mechanics would pack snow around the cage. Warmed it up nicely! Nothing digital back then.

Mike Martine
    Inactive
    la crosse wis

I’m in the heating a/c buisness and get caught in the middle of this battle a lot . When I get called in , there usually isn’t a problem , someone just has the stat cranked way up or down . More sophisticated buildings can take control of the stats from a central computer , then your beef is with the building manager . Never gonna please everyone. Chronic complainers get a dummy stat not hooked to anything . As long as they think there in control they’re happy .

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

But, but the sun. It’s going to get me

Attachments:
    1. daily-afternoon-randomness-49-photos-254.jpg

Bassn Dan

I like the locking thermostat cages.

The boxes are about as secure as a “squirrel proof” bird feeder. devil

Jonesy

I’ve always found it interesting how the people who prefer it warmer always win. It’s ridiculous, they can put on more clothes.

munchy
    NULL

I’m in charge of the HVAC at my facility and can control everything with a couple clicks of the mouse in the building automation system, even from my phone. Every time I get an email about a temperature complaint I just reply back with “There ya go, should be good in a little bit” and they reply back with something like “Thank you that’s much better”. Never do they realize I never even logged in! rotflol

sticker
    StillwaterMN/Ottertail county

I work in a climate controlled lab. Employees, including my boss, will stop in just to cool off. Some days I think we could hang beef carcasses in here to age. There is only 2 of us working in the lab and we both like it cool.

Tuma
    Inactive
    Farmington, MN

Just tell the people who are cold to pick up a space heater and put it under their desk. You will never please everyone.
    Just hope they don’t learn the trick to take the keyboard duster and spray the thermostat and trick it in thinking it is colder in the room.

tornadochaser

I’m in charge of the HVAC at my facility and can control everything with a couple clicks of the mouse in the building automation system, even from my phone. Every time I get an email about a temperature complaint I just reply back with “There ya go, should be good in a little bit” and they reply back with something like “Thank you that’s much better”. Never do they realize I never even logged in! rotflol

I design building automation systems. 2 most common issues with multiple offices served by a single zone unit are:
    1. some sit directly under the diffusers, therefore feel the actual air movement. (you don’t dump 72 degree air into a room to maintain 72 degrees, it can bee as cold as 55 degree air).
    2. people have printers, computer monitors, copiers, etc. located right next to the thermostat, giving it a false reading due to the heat from the appliances.

train people up on those two issues, and then lock out the adjustable range of the thermostat to 70-74, or lock out the local option to adjust completely, and you eliminate a lot of issues.

Sharon
    SE Metro

Irish girl sunbathing… hey I’m sure I’m not that white! whistling Besides, I’d rather be in the shady woods than a beach any day. mrgreen

Sharon
    SE Metro

I’ve always found it interesting how the people who prefer it warmer always win. It’s ridiculous, they can put on more clothes.

Exactly!!

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Its so much easier to warm up than it is to cool down. I will admit that in a previous relationship many, many years ago, the thermostat was a major sticking point and may have played a role in ending it.

Dave maze
    Isanti

Many digital thermostats have the ability to adjust the temperature reading on the screen by a few degrees. Not that I have ever done that…. grin

tegg
    Hudson, Wi/Aitkin Co

I had a former co-worker that had a “thyroid” condition. There would be times the office thermostat was reading 78 deg. I would be saying “I’m dying Slim” and they would be using a SPACE HEATER!

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

wave

Attachments:
    1. best-memes-of-the-week-46-photos-2517.jpg

Sharon
    SE Metro

^^ Yessssss! Think they’d be mad if I made this into a magnet and stuck it on the office fridge?? devil jester

Joe Scegura
    Alexandria MN

I actually was listening to MPR the other day and heard a lady ranting about this. She said the temperature at which offices are at is sexist and out of date. The temperature reflects the days of only men in suits. This is 2018 we should be better than this!!!

I’m sorry I was laughing out loud to be honest. I thought of you right away Sharon. waytogo

I hope you make the magnet!

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 46 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.