Thermal Blanket for Uninsulated Ice Shack?

• Al Case

Anybody know of any such animal? I have a one man uninsulated shack and want to do something quick to keep it warmer, as opposed to using insulation on the inside.
    Al

Cameron white

Reflectix doesn’t add any weight or bulk to the top of your shack. Curious why you don’t want to mod the inside?

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

I’ve heard of people simply throwing a wool blanket over the top. Makes a huge difference I guess.

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

I wish you could “like” posts.

“Like” posts? This isn’t Facebook. Unless you “liked” my post? I responded to his question…”I have a one man uninsulated shack and want to do something quick to keep it warmer, as opposed to using insulation on the inside.”…by offering a solution that I use.

Al Case

I have the reflectix but haven’t installed it yet. I’m simply looking for other options for my flip over and also for one of my Hubs that is uninsulated. It can’t hurt to ask.

Twins Guy
    NULL

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>bob clowncolor wrote:</div>

I wish you could “like” posts.

“Like” posts? This isn’t Facebook. Unless you “liked” my post? I responded to his question…”I have a one man uninsulated shack and want to do something quick to keep it warmer, as opposed to using insulation on the inside.”…by offering a solution that I use.

he likes your damn post Mr Sensitive-because it was a practical answer… don’t read more into it.

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

he likes your damn post Mr Sensitive-because it was a practical answer… don’t read more into it.

I have made my appointment with the shrink for tomorrow…

Attachments:
    1. shrink.jpg

Twins Guy
    NULL

Sorry my comment was harsh. I know sometimes its hard to determine if someone is being sarcastic. But I really think it was a compliment and wanted you to take credit for it.

I want my solo shelter to be light and mobile so I have steered away from insulated. The way I see it I’m probably bringing the portable buddy heater and 1# propane either way. I suppose insulation could cut down on condensation/precip…

broman

Years ago I used 3 moving blankets and sewed up an inner liner for my Otter Den. It was super warm, but bulky. If you can create a cover to throw over the top you will be very warm.

gonehunting

Sorry my comment was harsh. I know sometimes its hard to determine if someone is being sarcastic. But I really think it was a compliment and wanted you to take credit for it.

I want my solo shelter to be light and mobile so I have steered away from insulated. The way I see it I’m probably bringing the portable buddy heater and 1# propane either way. I suppose insulation could cut down on condensation/precip…

Is there that much weight difference in a solo uninsulated versus a solo insulated? My opinion I will never go back to uninsulated. Less heated needed, no dripping, tougher fabric etc. I think I would try to cut weight in another way. Again only my opinion.

CaptainMusky

I will never go back to uninsulated shacks either. I am so spoiled with the new full thermal lodge I bought. The fabric honestly doesn’t feel any heavier, but I know there are lots of guys out there with older shacks that cannot stomach the price of a new one that look for other solutions.
    I did the reflectix trick on mine, my buddy did his as well and it works well. Its bulky, but doesn’t add any significant amount of weight.

slipbob_nick
    Princeton, MN

Whenever my portable falls apart definitely ponying up for insulated

walleyerick
    SE S.Dak

I used a survival/ emergency blanket in the top of my summit hub to cut down on condensation and to retain heat. It helped alot and weights next to nothing.

Mudshark
    LaCrosse WI

For my 1 man Shappell I bought regular Reflectix and just used small zip-ties to attach it to just the top and back walls……worked good for me…..

Al Case

Thanks for all of the replies. I think I’ll try the reflectix. Thanks for the hint on the zip ties, Mudshark.
    Al

gonehunting

Tuck the reflectix between the poles and the canvas. Cut holes to run the canvas Velcro through to the poles. It will stay in place well. Once you set it up and take it down a couple times it will have some memory and fold up easier.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.