The sickness begins TUCR rods

• mrpike1973

Well was in Scheels again after the reviews I got a 30 inch precision WOW what a sweet rod. I plan to use 3-4 mm tungsten jigs and for the Bullwhip some very small 1/32 spoons. Should I seal the cork with U 40 cork sealer before using very nice rods!

Dan Baker

I never seal my cork handles. They will get a little dirty over time, but if you take super high grit sandpaper to them once a year or so, they clean up just like new. The cork is really high grade.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Never sealed a handle, I hope u have better luck with ur ice rods then you did with anything summer fishing related

Gino
    Grand rapids mn

Seal all my nice cork handles. I think It brings out the color and grain, makes them look perddy. They clean up easier too, wipe down with a disinfectant wipe when needed and they look new again.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Oh young grasshopper, you have only begun. Wait till you start building your own jester

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

Wait till you start building your own

This is the way to go. This is the only way to get exactly the action you want by shaping your own. Or having me do it for you.

koldfront kraig
    Coon Rapids mn

My cork handles are sealed with shiner scales, minnow guts and fish slime.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Never sealed a handle, I hope u have better luck with ur ice rods then you did with anything summer fishing related

Couldn’t help but laugh at this one….

Pike you’re going to love that rod!

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

My cork handles are sealed with shiner scales, minnow guts and fish slime.

Same here. Like Dan mentioned clean them up once in a while with sandpaper.

picklerick
    Central WI

FYI, cork handles clean up nicely with a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser.

Dave in Mpls
    Wayzata, MN

You’ll love the rod – I have 3 Precisions, along with several other TUCRs. Curious which Scheels you found it in 30”……I’ve been in 3 different stores in the past week, and they only had 28, 32, and 36”. I want a 30” (assuming they come with 5 guides).
    As an aside, I think 3-4mm jigs are going to be awfully light on the Precision

Ripjiggen

I think he may be referring to the precision noodle.

Dave in Mpls
    Wayzata, MN

I think he may be referring to the precision noodle.

I’m guessing you are correct. I fish waldos 99% of the time, so my slow mind takes me to that type of rod doah

mrpike1973

Bearcat and Mahtofire. You made me chuckle! except for cutting my foot with the new Eskimo auger that came out couple years ago. I cannot recollect ever breaking a ice rod or other stuff. Ice gear seems to last me a long time. Precision noodle is correct I do not fish for walleyes.

Justin Laack
    Austin,mn

Windex works good to clean the cork aswell.

chuck100
    Platteville,Wi.

Told ya. Pike you should try something in that 32-34″ range.

mrpike1973

I went with 30inch for now because I do not hole hop that much. My fingers need the warmth of the ice house. I figured any longer may hit the roof in the house. Thanks for the suggestion though.

LabDaddy1

I have a precision noodle too, but don’t really wanna talk about it on a public fishing site…

I’ve never sealed a cork or even cleaned one, ever.

Most important thing is make sure to get the right color combo, preferably one that matches your ice suit and shack! 😂

LabDaddy1

On a serious note- never owned a TUCR or any custom except a couple Thorne Bros. All this talk about them has me wanting to try one tho.

Also have heard some good things about this cheaper Jason Mitchell “meat stick,” which I’m thinking about trying this winter

Don Meier
    Butternut Wisconsin

Sealed all new cork handles with U40 , actually makes it a bit stronger ,at least that what they say LOL

Red Eye

Seal every handle I build. Cleans up with dish soap and water.

Dan Baker

On a serious note- never owned a TUCR or any custom except a couple Thorne Bros. All this talk about them has me wanting to try one tho.

Also have heard some good things about this cheaper Jason Mitchell “meat stick,” which I’m thinking about trying this winter

If you’re able to make it into the St. Paul Ice Show this year, you’ll be able to have hands on time with both rods, and really most every maker. It’s a great chance to compare all the options, and the companies behind the rods as well.
    Dan

olas88

TUCR, Thorne, Two Brothers, JT all make excellent quality ice rods in the ~115 range. Not sure you can go wrong with any of them.

flanders51

So here is my deal: I mainly panfish during the ice season. Panfish bite very light from say January – February. Therefore, I swear by spring-bobbers. The best, I have found, is the St. Croix black series with the light spring-bobber and a 3mm tungsten jig. Money set-up. It detects the most wee, tiny bites. Sometimes, I might even be imagining that the little spring just dipped slightly. Boom, set the hook. Game on.

I haven’t gotten the sickness for custom rods yet, but I feel it tugging me. What stops me from going the custom rod/expensive rod route is the spring-bobber thing. I just can’t imagine the so-called “noodle” rods doing what a properly tuned spring-bobber can do.

Convince me otherwise.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

So here is my deal: I mainly panfish during the ice season. <strong class=”ido-tag-strong”>Panfish bite very light from say January – February. Therefore, I swear by spring-bobbers. The best, I have found, is the St. Croix black series with the light spring-bobber and a 3mm tungsten jig. Money set-up. It detects the most wee, tiny bites. Sometimes, I might even be imagining that the little spring just dipped slightly. Boom, set the hook. Game on.

I haven’t gotten the sickness for custom rods yet, but I feel it tugging me. What stops me from going the custom rod/expensive rod route is the spring-bobber thing. I just can’t imagine the so-called “noodle” rods doing what a properly tuned spring-bobber can do.

Convince me otherwise.

Your right, and that’s where the jt spring bobber rod come in to play. But while you say the bite is very light in the time frame, it may be every once and a while. But not always. And when it’s not. The noodle rod is my preferred rod. I don’t have tucr rods but I haveany other custom set ups

flanders51

</quote>
    Your right, and that’s where the jt spring bobber rod come in to play.
    [/quote]

Now that looks like the ticket. The sickness is upon me!

vinella

I would highly recommend the 35″ JT Panhandler with the tapered spring. Best of both worlds in my opinion.

I would also add MAGS to this list of rod builders to check out. He doesn’t offer an spring bobber rods, but his rods are top notch.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 33 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.