The Science of Why Bass are Getting Harder to Catch

• Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

Interesting read. Thanks for sharing.

I am not a bass guy, but most lakes are stocked with the Leech lake muskie strain. Do you think they are so hard to catch for the same reason or is it just because they can be hard to catch?

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I read that in the most recent issue too. Its a good article. Simply confirms that angling pressure plays a role but the new evidence of information about specific genetics is definitely an emerging factor I have not heard of.

Two of the more difficult lakes that are very popular for competitive and receive a lot of pressure that I have fished for many years have shown evidence of this: Minnetonka and Mille Lacs. Trying to catch sizable bass regularly on these two lakes has seemingly become more difficult every time I go. Exclusively using artificial lures makes it even tougher. Like Bassmaster Elite Pro Seth Feider said in 2016: those fish can only be caught so many times.

I am not a bass guy, but most lakes are stocked with the Leech lake muskie strain. Do you think they are so hard to catch for the same reason or is it just because they can be hard to catch?

Muskies are hard for everyone to catch Rod. For starters, there’s just not nearly as many of them. Second, I don’t think they feed as often because they target bigger prey and don’t need to. Third, angling pressure just like bass fishing makes it tougher on bodies of water where they see more lures.

Finding populations of bass (and muskies) that don’t see a lot of angling pressure has helped me put more fish in the boat. Avoid the crowds and get off the beaten path.

tim hurley

Zeebs are making lakes clearer so fish spook easily-talked to a guy who knows Vermilion very well and his friend guides out there-they routinely see people run over great spots then slow down back up and get nothing. The clearing water has made weedlines very deep on ‘tonka fish then go deep and are harder to catch.
    My 2 cents

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I agree with that assessment Tim. Clearing water makes them spookier and drives them deeper too.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.