The New "Gander Outdoors"

• Sharon
    SE Metro

See photo below of the email I received yesterday. It says “Gander Outdoors is launching across the country starting in late 2017. Also, watch for updates about our new website coming later this fall.”

I’m looking forward to checking out the new stores and to see what kind of online experience they will feature. I like to have a little variety in my outdoors stores and I’m glad there will be another option – hopefully it’s more than a clothing store!

Attachments:
    1. Gander-Outdoors.jpg

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

I hope this takes off, but it’s taking a long time to get organized and get off the ground. I’m afraid a lot of customers will leave and not come back.

I, too, want some variety, but Gander Mountain was extremely high priced on a lot of things other than their own store brand. Ammo was laughably high. In the internet age where prices can be checked in seconds against competitors, you have to be competitive on the shelf price every day.

Gander had some good value items like their rod lineup, I hope that continues. My favorite rod is a Gander walleye rod and it was only about $90 so they had excellent performance for the $.

Grouse

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I hope they hurry up. I like their flannel lined jeans and will be needing some soon.

fishinfreaks
    Rogers, MN

I hope this takes off, but it’s taking a long time to get organized and get off the ground. I’m afraid a lot of customers will leave and not come back.

I had already left. Hadn’t been in a Gander in years, and I’ve had one two miles away from my house in Rogers. Went in there twice when they first opened, hoping for a better experience than I’d had in Maple Grove (before they closed)…disappointment. Never went back.

hnd

if what they are saying about the new ownership is true re: his political stances, i’ll probably not be shopping there. its probably hypocritical, i probably buy things from other people who i don’t agree with but apparently he’s been pretty vocal which invites a response.

lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

I agree Gander had totally gone downhill in the last few years. I have one right by my house in Forest Lake, but hardly ever went there and when I did it was a bad experience. Everything was bad, poor management, poor selection, high prices. I pretty much changed over to Fleet Farm, and occasionally Cabela’s if I needed a specialty item. Or every once in awhile Thorne Bros or Capras.

I think the time off between reopening might actually help. Build up a little anticipation. If they had reopened immediately I would have had the feeling not much would have changed.

Hoping they do it right…..

ski junkie
    Grantsburg, Wisc

I hope they hurry up. I like their flannel lined jeans and will be needing some soon.

Have you tried Duluth Trading flannel jeans ??
    AWESOME !!!

slipbob_nick
    Princeton, MN

If mills fleet doesn’t have it you don’t need it.

patk
    Nisswa, MN

I’m all for having another place to buy stuff. Does it mean I will be a frequent customer? Unlikely but competition is good.

Will be interesting what model they try. Low price/quality/service or not? Moderate pricing/quality, etc.

The new owner has been quoted multiple times on the need to lower costs of doing business.

mwal
    Rosemount,MN

If you search the internet and read articles by the new owner there will be a lot less guns and ammo and expanded fishing dept. He also has made public statements that Trump voters do no need to come to his stores. Pretty dumb thing to bring personal politics into a public business. Will have to wait and see what new stores are like. I had already stopped shopping there for ammo and firearms as they were pricing it way to high. You could go to other local stores and buy for much less. They also had turned it into a women’s clothing store and essentially carried nothing I could wear.

Mwal

big_g
    Isle, MN

They should put a hah starbucks in every store… devil crazy doah

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>suzuki wrote:</div>

Have you tried Duluth Trading flannel jeans ??
    AWESOME !!!

Thanks! I will.

Ryan P
    Farmington

Sure seems like the new CEO is pretty quick to make knee jerk stupid comments against the sale of Guns, Hunting, and anyone that doesn’t agree with him politically. Guess we’ll see…

Tuma
    Inactive
    Farmington, MN

As long as they can figure out a way to not be charging a min of $2 more for everything they sell I will check it out. I stopped going to that clothing store many years ago and hope it will become more of a sporting goods store again.

piscatorialmaize

If mills fleet doesn’t have it you don’t need it.

Remember Fleet Farm was sold as well. I was in the Blaine store recently and their stocked waterfowl hunting equipment was significantly reduced from previous years…and the duck season in MN hasn’t even opened yet. It was down to one small short isle.

Besox

Will not spend a dime in this guys store. FF or Scheels

Ron S

Not big on bubble pack stores.

I like Joe’s in Little Canada. Can generally get what you need and friendly competent service. They are not a chain store so it’s a plus for me.

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

I like Cabelas fleece lined jeans.

Steve Hix
    Dysart, Iowa

Why??

bowtecmike
    Zimmerman mn

if what they are saying about the new ownership is true re: his political stances, i’ll probably not be shopping there. its probably hypocritical, i probably buy things from other people who i don’t agree with but apparently he’s been pretty vocal which invites a response.

X2 can’t support someone who publicly states if you like/voted for trump don’t come shop at his store. I will gladly oblige! No one would put there business on the line with a statement like that 20-30 years ago! You don’t have to like him but respect that he is our president don’t try to divide this country further then we already have been lately. Krugerfarms will continue to get a lot of my money!

catnip
    south metro

if The picture on the website under products page that shows a lumbersexual in what looks like rei resembles what kind of store it will be I wont be spending any money there. A store like that would do better in uptown.

slipbob_nick
    Princeton, MN

I haven’t read any of the stuff first hand but if someone running a business doesn’t want my money because of who I voted for I’ll keep the cash. And that goes for either side of the political aisle if youre running a business keep your mouth shut when it comes to politics

gonehunting

Scheels
    Fleet Farm
    Reeds
    L&M Fleet

kidfish

Don’t be waiting for the Forest Lake store to reopen. A good friend manages the Lakeville store said Gander decided to shutter FLake. Originally they were going to leave it open and convert it to a Gander outdoors/ camping world store, but last minute they decided to close the store.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

if you like/voted for trump don’t come shop at his store. I will gladly oblige!

If he said this he deserves to lose business. As a business owner, or even just a human being, to have a litmus test based on politics for customers, friends or even treating a stranger with respect is wrong.

I get along just fine with people who have a different political views because I don’t give a damn.

munchy
    NULL

Don’t be waiting for the Forest Lake store to reopen. A good friend manages the Lakeville store said Gander decided to shutter FLake. Originally they were going to leave it open and convert it to a Gander outdoors/ camping world store, but last minute they decided to close the store.

It’s a horrible location for it anyways. If you miss the exit a mile before ever seeing it while going south on 35 you’re SOL, you have a 13 mile drive to get back. If you’re going north once you pass it you have a 2 1/2 mile drive before you reach the store.

Reef W

Since nobody seems to be actually looking up what he said here’s the quote

“There’s no doubt that there is probably not many consumers in this country today that are in favor of what has been said in the last couple days and if they are, quite frankly, don’t shop at my business,” said Lemonis, who is CEO of Camping World and host of CNBC’s “The Profit.”

This was in response to Trump’s statements blaming “many sides” for the Charlottesville violence.

Source: https://www.cnbc.com/2017/08/16/marcus-lemonis-if-youre-ok-with-what-trump-said-dont-shop-at-my-business.html

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Context is everything isn’t it. That’s a lot different than what was intimated in the replies here.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 69 total)

The topic ‘The New "Gander Outdoors"’ is closed to new replies.